1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Mick's Mail 5/14

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Hostile, May 14, 2004.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,971 Likes Received
    Ryan MacEachern, Brampton, Ontario, Canada: How ready are Stephen Peterman and Jacob Rogers to play? I know training camp hasn't started yet, but do you have an estimate? I'll give you this scenario: Let's say Drew Henson wins the job, Julius Jones is penciled in as the starter and Peterman takes Andre Gurode's spot and Rogers takes Ryan Young's. Would that not spell fiasco? I guess it wouldn't if Peterman and Rogers turn it on early, right? Question is, can they turn it on early?

Mickey: Well, you had better get ready. Because if those guys move into the starting lineup, and Al Johnson moves in at center as expected and Jones wins the starting running back job, then you will have a whole lot of youth on the field. Now as for Rogers and Peterman, it's sure hard to judge offensive linemen when they're not in pads, as they weren't in the three-day mini-camp. But my gut feeling would be Peterman might be more prepared to play immediately than Rogers, just because the tackle is moving from the left side, where he played at USC for three years, to the right side. He looked a little uncomfortable with his footwork during the mini-camp.

Christopher Liu, Singapore: Chad Hutchinson just had a breakout game in NFL Europe, throwing 20-of-27 for 263 yards and two touchdowns. In the event that he continues to light it up in Europe and limits the number of fumbles (which I understand is a big no-no to BP), you reckon the Boys would go back on their word on naming Quincy Carter the starting quarterback and have another quarterback competition during training camp?

Mickey: I doubt it. Bill Parcells said he's invested a year in Carter, and wants to see what those 16-games of experience have done for the fourth-year quarterback. If Hutchinson continues to play as well, that would put him in the running to become the team's backup instead of the Cowboys having to sign an experienced guy. But let's see. That was the first time Hutchinson has thrown for more than 172 yards in six NFLE games. As I've said repeatedly, Carter's play will decide if he is the full-time starter or if the Cowboys turn to another guy.

Terry Moten, San Antonio: You didn't disappoint me! I knew after reading Chad's numbers in Rhein's last game that an article about him was forthcoming! It seems that when it comes to Chad you take to heart the proverb that states "If you don't have anything good to say . . ." Do you plan to do likewise when it comes to Quincy Carter?

Mickey: Give me a break. The guy was NFLE Offensive Player of the Week. We have regularly updated Hutchinson's stats on the website, regardless of his performance. Plus, there were some fresh quotes from him thanks to the Darren Woodson interview at halftime of the game. The point was not to glorify his performance, but to bring some understanding to the position even he knows he's in. Why are so many of you so touchy about this? Ya act like you watched Roger Staubach play quarterback for the Cowboys this past season.

Keith Cockrell, Port Arthur, Texas: Chad seems to not be aware of oncoming rushers. I've noticed he has a thin face and the normal helmet seems to be further forward in relation to his eyes than on other players (I know that sounds crazy, but look at a little tape). Would it be legal to carve out his helmet a little, improving at least his chance of noticing rushers peripherally?

Mickey: Oh man, these guys get on me enough about Chad. Hope you don't expect me to agree with that. There might be a holy uprising. Never thought of face thing, I must say, and I'd think more than illegal, cutting into the helmet might be unsafe. Me thinks he's just too stubborn, wanting to make something out of every play, and needs to develop a much more accurate internal clock.

Chad Thompson, Dakota City, Iowa: It seems Keith Davis is doing good in NFL Europe as a safety. He had two picks and was named defensive player of the week. Is there any chance he could be converted to a cornerback since Woodson and Roy Williams have the safety slots? I know it's a bit early to be saying he is starting material, but I think that maybe Bill could try him out at cornerback where he would have a chance at starting. What do you think?

Mickey: Hey, it's not like there are locks for backup safety. You do need at least two of those, and I'd imagine if Davis regains Bill Parcells' trust, he should be given a legitimate chance to challenge Tony Dixon and Lynn Scott. Remember, he showed his rookie season a knack for getting to the ball, He just didn't show enough responsibility last summer, getting himself into an bad situation a month or so before camp began and Parcells made an example out of him. There also were some injury concerns because of the wound he sustained in the shooting.

Brandon Ashworth, Beaumont, Texas: Is it true? Is it possible? Dallas failed to sign or draft a real quality player at corner, and now it is so late in the game, right? But oh, who is this? Mike McKenzie, a four-year starter at Green Bay, in a bitter contract dispute and wanting out? Is there any way Bill and Jerry can get this guy? Or, perhaps a better question would be: Do they want a guy like him?

Mickey: No the better questions would be if Green Bay will part with him, for what and how much does he want to make? See, all these corners under contract this year started getting greedy when the free-agent market started paying average to OK corners $10 million signing bonuses. McKenize is pretty good, but again, I doubt Green Bay just gives him away. Now with two first-round picks for 2005, the Cowboys might be more willing to deal a second, even though they already have used their third-rounder on Drew Henson. Then again, with two firsts and a second, you can about get the guy you want in next year's first round. You just can't get everything at once.

Justin LaSala, Quito, Ecuador: What's up? I'm traveling South America and this website has been my major source of Cowboys info the past few months. Now I know that Ty Law is no spring chicken, but is there any chance that Dallas would use one of their first rounders for 2005 to grab the disgruntled cornerback from New England?

Mickey: While Law probably is worth a first-round pick, I'd bet in the Cowboys' eyes spending a first-round pick on a 30-year-old player is not wise. A first-round pick, if he's a hit, should late at least five or six years for you. Law is unlikely to still be playing corner at 34. If the Cowboys were, say, Philadelphia, and had been to the past three NFC title games and felt they were one or two players away from the Super Bowl, then you bet, go for it. But a first for Law might be too rich for their blood at this point of their development.

Monte Jones, Rio Rancho, N.M.: I recently read that Julius Jones rushed for 1,268 yards his senior season at Notre Dame, but did not start all of the games. Who started when Julius didn't?

Mickey: You're right. Jones only started the final seven games this past year after returning from his school-sanctioned academic suspension in 2002. That would have been Ryan Grant starting for the Fighting Irish at running back early in the season. He finished with 510 yards and three touchdowns.

John Cates, Cincinnati: I am just curious how long of a leash Julius Jones will have for success/failure? With Dallas being in the perfect position to address and upgrade the running back position this year by having the opportunity to take any one of the highest-rated backs available (Steven Jackson, Kevin Jones, Chris Perry, etc.) in the draft, yet deciding to pass over every one of them by trading out of the first round altogether, I'm curious if Jones has a less than impressive rookie campaign will the Cowboys will use one of their two first-round picks on a running back next year? Or will they use the standard "give him time, blah, blah, blah...." line and bypass the position again next year as well?

Mickey: Well, that depends. How good is the running back class for next year? Hey, if Jones is not all that, and the Cowboys think a Cadillac Williams or Cedric Benson is the next Clinton Portis, then why not? They would have the firepower to get that guy. What you need to ask yourself is this: Were any of the three guys you mentioned the next LaDainian Tomlinson? Don't be so sure the Cowboys didn't just pass up good running backs, and not a great one. Also, it sure is easier to turn your back on a second-round pick (see Money) than a first-round pick. Those you must live with for at least three years.

Trip Somers, Plano, Texas: ReShard Lee looked, before his knee injury, like he could have been a decent running back. Admittedly, he was playing against fourth and fifth stringers in preseason games, but he showed a burst and some evasiveness. Richie Anderson and Aveion Cason are still ahead of him on the depth chart, as far as I know. How has Lee's knee healed and does he have a good shot at backup running back duty?

Mickey: Lee looked decent during the mini-camp, and with another 2� months of rehab and conditioning work, he should be fit to compete for a spot on the roster. With Jones now onboard, he likely is competing with Cason and Erik Bickerstaff for the third spot, since it would seem likely Anderson and Jones will hold down the first two. But then a lot will come down to numbers. Do the Cowboys keep four running backs and fullbacks or five? And you're right, he did show a little something last summer before the knee injury.

Dan Bender, Bohemia, N.Y.: Many topics have been covered this off-season, but I believe the Cowboys hold one wild card. Antonio Bryant, in my opinion, could become an elite receiver. His talent is unquestioned, and if he can become mentally better and work at his craft he could be great. I have seen him live many times, and I see him constantly frustrated on the sidelines, separated from his teammates. Where does he stand with Jones and Parcells, and do you think he can put it all together? If he does, I think the Boys will have one heck of an offense.

Mickey: Very good point. For some reason, the kid struggled last year with the offense and then catching the ball. If he can step up, it would almost be like adding another wide receiver. Parcells said he's put on 10 pounds, which should help him from getting bumped off routes and having passes knocked out. Just as long as he hasn't lost his quickness and speed. The Cowboys are OK with him, and love his competitive drive. Now he just needs to lighten up on himself and make plays.

Tait Johnson, Palo Alto, Calif.: What date do the Cowboys go to California for training this summer?

Mickey: No official schedule for camp has been released, but if you are looking for a tentative starting date, circle July 29. Camp should begin somewhere late in the final week of July.

Steven Schulze, Houston: Can you tell me where David LaFleur is now playing or is he playing at all?

Mickey: LaFleur has retired from football. His back was that bad. Last I heard, he was living back in Louisiana operating his MRI business.

Dave Terrell, Durant, Okla.: You have never posted one of my questions, and it may because I am always critical of belly-aching Cowboys "fans." I fully understand why we did not take Steven Jackson. If he was such a super star as many readers have said, why didn't he go No. 1? Everyone cheers on Bill and Jerry, then criticize them when they do something that helps the Cowboys. Just like an article I read on your website the other day, should all these fan apologize when Julius Jones rushes for 1,000 yards behind the line we built with the trade? These two men have won a ton of Super Bowls between them, so support them and have faith in them and stop all your belly aching because most of you don't no what you are talking about!

Mickey: There, you had your say. Finally. But isn't it a great world that even Bill Parcells can be questioned? Good thing he was here, because had Jones and, say, Dave Campo, pulled off the same move, oh my gosh.

Mike Futoma, Southington, Conn.: As you know, the Rhein Fire plays Amsterdam on Sunday, and the quarterbacks will be Clint Stoerner and Chad Hutchinson. I'm going to have to assume that by the time you read this, the game will have already been played, and the outcome determined. But tell me this: Did the Cowboys make a mistake when they dropped Stoerner from their roster?

Mickey: Well, you were right. I didn't see this until after the game. And isn't hindsight a beautiful thing.
  2. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,863 Messages
    222 Likes Received
    Sounds like the whole team has gained 10 pounds. Impressive.
  3. FanofBill

FanofBill Member

158 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That would make it about 18 ounces per person. :D
  4. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,607 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received
    Think how great it would be to go into next years draft and NOT have a pressing need that you had to toss a #1 at?
  5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,607 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received

[IMG]

That priceless FOB!
  6. chicago JK

chicago JK Well-Known Member

1,607 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    And I thought I had heard every argument in the Hutch vs. Quincy debate. I guess not.

Keith Cockrell, Port Arthur, Texas: Chad seems to not be aware of oncoming rushers. I've noticed he has a thin face and the normal helmet seems to be further forward in relation to his eyes than on other players (I know that sounds crazy, but look at a little tape). Would it be legal to carve out his helmet a little, improving at least his chance of noticing rushers peripherally?

Mickey: Oh man, these guys get on me enough about Chad. Hope you don't expect me to agree with that. There might be a holy uprising. Never thought of face thing, I must say, and I'd think more than illegal, cutting into the helmet might be unsafe. Me thinks he's just too stubborn, wanting to make something out of every play, and needs to develop a much more accurate internal clock.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,971 Likes Received
    Yeah, that one sort of stood out to me too.
  8. RatisBeast

RatisBeast Chevy Guy

1,722 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    why is that guy asking about lafleur ? stalker? :D I guess his back was really screwed up that bad, i hope he does well in that MRI business. :eek:
  9. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,890 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    David is living well in Westlake LA. One of my co-workers is good friends with his family.