1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mid-Season Draft Mock 7 Round

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by JonJon, Nov 7, 2011.

1. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    Draft profiles courtesy of walterfootball.com

ROUND 1
    [IMG]
    Peter Konz*, C, Wisconsin
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 315.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.58.
    Projected Round (2012): 1.

The junior Konz is compiling a stack of dominant tapes for NFL evaluators. He has been excellent this season. Konz has played elite players like Jerel Worthy and Jared Crick very well. The Badgers have had a fabulous running offense and Konz is an excellent run blocker. He seals holes well, gets to the second level, and puts defenders on the ground regularly. Konz has done a fabulous job in pass protection for quarterback Russell Wilson. His stock is on the rise. Not many centers enter the draft early. That goes for Wisconsin offensive linemen as well, so it would be somewhat surprising if he enters the 2012 draft.

ROUND 2
    [IMG]
    Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 312.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.21.
    Projected Round (2012): 2.

Zeitler has done a fabulous job paving the way for running backs Montee Ball and James White this season. Zeitler is strong at the point of attack and has no issues blasting open running lanes. He has more mobility and athletic ability than one might think. Zeitler does a good job of hitting blocks on the second level and in the open field on screen passes. He has also done an excellent job in pass protection for quarterback Russell Wilson. Zeitler has really helped his stock with a strong season.

ROUND 3
    [IMG]
    Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
    Height: 5-10. Weight: 188.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.45.
    Projected Round (2011): 2-3.

Jenkins has returned nine punts for 163 yards (18.1 average) with a touchdown return and a long return of 87 yards. He does not have an interception, but has returned a fumble 49 yards for a touchdown. Jenkins has 27 tackles with thee passes broken up. His draft stock is dependent on him staying out of legal trouble and interviewing well with teams in the months prior to the draft. Janoris Jenkins does not have great size, but he has a top-15 skill set as a cover corner. The only reason why he's ranked here is because of a few arrests for smoking pot that got him kicked out of Florida. If Jenkins had stayed out of trouble, he easily would have been a high first-round pick.

ROUND 4
    [IMG]
    Jonathan Massaquoi*, OLB, Troy
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 250.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
    Projected Round (2012): 4-5.

Massaquoi's sack production is down dramatically thus far in 2011. He has 1.5 sacks in four games with 19 tackles and 4.5 tackles for a loss. Massaquoi started the 2010 season slowly before catching fire and recording 10 sacks in the final seven games. Jonathan Massaquoi broke out with 13.5 sacks last season and 20.5 tackles for a loss as a sophomore. Massaquoi also had 76 tackles with a forced fumble. The speedy and athletic Massaquoi has a good get off with strong pursuit skills. He needs to add some strength for the NFL. That being said, Massaquoi doesn't shy away from taking on offensive linemen and plays with physicality. If he duplicates that production with all the double teams that are coming his way in 2011, his draft stock could soar.

ROUND 5
    [IMG]
    Trumaine Johnson, FS, Montana
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 197.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.54.
    Projected Round (2012): 4-5.

Johnson held his own against Tennessee in the first game of the season with seven tackles, a pass broken up and a forced fumble. For the season, he has 18 tackles with 2.5 tackles for a loss and four passes broken up. Johnson has been a ballhawk in past seasons, but does not have an interception in four games this year. FCS standout Trumaine Johnson has an excellent combination of size and speed. He became a starter as a true freshman and recorded four interceptions. In 2009, despite missing four games, Johnson had five interceptions with 12 passes broken up and 54 tackles on the season. Last year, he had four interceptions with seven passes defensed and 44 tackles. Johnson needs to have another standout season playing against weaker competition, but his physical tools and consistent production should make him a mid-round pick.

ROUND 6
    [IMG]
    Adrien Cole, ILB, Louisiana Tech
    Height: 5-11. Weight: 250.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.71.
    Projected Round (2012): 5-7.

Cole has 18 tackles with 1.5 tackles for a loss, one sack and two blocked kicks so far this season. If Cole can produce when he takes on Vick Ballard and Mississippi State later this month, his stock could rise quickly. Adrien Cole is a physical, in-the-box defender who projects to an inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. Cole had 80 tackles for a loss and 4.5 tackles for a loss with one forced fumble last season. In 2009, he had 93 tackles with four tackles for a loss and two forced fumbles. Cole needs to reverse that trend and increase his production as a senior to make sure he gets drafted.

ROUND 7
    [IMG]
    Risard Matthews, WR/PR, Nevada
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 215.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.52.
    Projected Round (2012): 5-7.

Matthews has 51 receptions for 840 yards and three touchdowns this season. Rishard Matthews was the top receiver for Colin Kaepernick last season. Matthews recorded 56 catches for 879 yards and five touchdowns. On the plus side, tight end Virgil Green and running back Tai Taua have graduated, so Matthews should have a bigger role in the offense. Conversely, Kaepernick is in the NFL and Matthews will have a new signal caller who probably won't be as effective.
  2. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,555 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    If the draft fell like this I would be absolutely estatic. I love the first five picks; don't know much about the last two though. The only thing is that I see is I don't think Jenkins makes it the 3rd. If he does than that is steal. I think he has clean up his act and will get drafted much earlier.
  3. drawnstripes

drawnstripes Benched

167 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    nice Jon Jon
  4. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    jenkins doesn't fit the garrett draft profile, I don't think he makes it on our draft board because of character concerns
  5. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,296 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    I like it all but for Jenkins, I don't see Garrett getting him or Ryan wanting him. He isn't big and physical enough.
  6. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    Than you. On the last two picks, the higher the round, the more of a crap shoot it becomes. I tried to find players that gave value in areas we may need depth in. Brooking will be gone for sure next year and I expect Ogletree to be gone as well, so these guys would provide solid depth and also perform on special teams.
  7. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    It all depends on how he does during scout interviews. I know the Cowboys like value picks, and Jenkins would be the best value if he slips that far. I really wouldn't be concerned at all with his character issues, especially if Ryan is still here, and I think he likes guys with a little attitude. I am sure he knows how to handle a player like Jenkins, if his character ever becomes an issue at all.
  8. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I think Ryan can handle him. He seems to have been incident free since going to North Alabama. As for his size, I think he fits the profile. Janoris is 5'10, the same height as Newman, Mike Jenkins, and Scandrick. He just needs to add more weight, and I have no doubt he will be able to add another 10 pounds.

I found an interesting article about Jenkins and his character concerns:

"Janoris is a good young man who comes from a good family," Muschamp says. "He just made some poor decisions. What young people need to understand is that there are consequences in life when you continue to make poor decisions. I was trying to do what was best for our team and for Janoris. Unfortunately, he won't play his last year at the University of Florida, but he's going to be a better person because of this."

Even Jenkins, as he prepares to play his final season at North Alabama, understands now that Muschamp did what he had to do. As he tries to rebuild his reputation and prove to NFL scouts that he has a healthy body and a clear mind, he says he takes "full responsibility" for what has happened.

"It wasn't Coach Muschamp's fault; it was my fault," he says. "I'm going to do what I have to do to help North Alabama win a Division II national championship and to show people I'm a good person and a great player."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-08-09/sports/os-bianchi-janoris-jenkins-0819-20110809_1_muschamp-janoris-jenkins-urban-meyer
  9. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,296 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    this must have been before he was suspended for throwing a punch
  10. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    Punches are thrown all the time in the NFL, and in that game, both sides were very chippy and there were other unsportsmanlike penalties as well from others. I am more concerned with his off the field issues, making sure he stays away from marijuana and other illegal activities.
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,213 Messages
    4,757 Likes Received
    That would be the greatest possible draft IF those players fall to those rounds.

It will really suck if Konz does not enter the draft.

Zietler will probably NOT be a Pro Bowler, but he will probably be a 1st year starter.

I agree with the poster who said that Ryan probably wants bigger CBs; however, Jenkins would be the perfect slot CB. I've read that he is NOT nearly as big of a knucklehead as Jimmy Smith from last years draft.

Physically, Trumain Johnson is one the of the best CBs in the 2012 draft. The small school issue will definitely cause him to go in later rounds than his talent indicates. If he really runs a 4.54 fourty, then he might be available in round 5. Anything below 4.5, and he goes higher, possibly much higher. Big CBs with his movement skills are are in short supply in this draft.

The problem is that if he is impressive when he interviews with the Cowboys, then he wil also be impressive when he interviews with other teams. He will only fall to the 3rd round if his interviews are terrible.