1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mike & Mike: Clayton suggests Larry Allen could miss the HOF this year w/Audio #125

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 28, 2013.

1. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,033 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    John Clayton is an idiot... That's why the Hall of Fame voting shouldn't be in the hands of sports writers, it should be left up to Hall of Fame players and coaches.
  2. Fmart322

Fmart322 Active Member

934 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    If Sapp lined up across from Larry Allen every game he played you wouldn't know who he was.
  3. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,421 Messages
    1,326 Likes Received
    Understand you are upset -- we all agree Larry Allen should be a 1st ballot selection.... that being said I think you are wrong about Ogden -- Ogden was the best OT of his generation IMHO and I think while I think Larry Allen was a more dominant guard than Ogden was a tackle, I think it was close.

Ogden was selected All-Pro two more times than Allen in his career. They tied for Pro-Bowl selections.

Ogden - 11 Probowls, 9 All-Pro Selections
    Allen - 11 Probowls, 7 All-Pro Selections

In otherwords they both deserve to be 1st ballot HOF players....
  4. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    Allen is an olineman and there is a bias with media and fans that think any fat guy can block. They assume that size is only needed and there is little skill involved. In reality, lineman have one of the hardest positions on the team and it takes a massive amount of talent to play at the level Allen did. He is clearly one of the best ever. Add to the situation that there is a media bias when it comes to Dallas players and I can see this happening. Pure stupidity and ignorance at it's finest if Allen doesn't go in.
  5. perrykemp

5,421 Messages
    1,326 Likes Received
    Hard to compare eras -- Allen was certainly the best guard of our generation. Only other one I can think of in the modern era that could be considered on-par or possibly even more highly regarded was John Hannah.
  6. LittleD

LittleD Active Member

851 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    I guess we just have to agree to disagree if you think Ogden should go to the hall before LA. Baltimore only won 1 SB and if you ask Strahan or Sapp who they would rather play against, duh!!!
  7. perrykemp

5,421 Messages
    1,326 Likes Received
    Little:

You realize Larry Allen also won only 1 SB also right? Not that I think it matters one IOTA for an offensive lineman, however, I thought I'd point out the error.
  8. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,527 Messages
    192 Likes Received
    I honestly don't see him getting in first ballot. Does he deserve it? Absolutely. But the media wants to crown bill parcells a god and think he should be in before someone who deserves it
  9. perrykemp

5,421 Messages
    1,326 Likes Received
    I've read before that there is resistance by the HoF committee to adding more Cowboys, Packers, and Steelers to the HoF since those three teams have so many players already in.
  10. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,660 Messages
    1,692 Likes Received
    No, no, no.

Have you seen who the players vote for in the Pro Bowl? Have you seen how coaches vote in the college polls? They'r the LAST people you want voting.
  11. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,395 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    That is not what he said. Ugh.

Strahan loved to hate Ogden as well. I recall him saying something about him not being mean enough to play in this league...and then he would rip your arms off. It was something like that.

I don't recall anyone flat out stating that Sapp deserves to go in before Allen. Duh!!!
  12. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    The 1st half of his career, Larry Allen was the best offensive lineman I've ever seen, by a wide margin. Then he got fat, lethargic, and injury prone. No doubt the less than stellar conclusion to his career will cost him some 1st ballot votes.

Regardless, the HOF should be about elite players. Stat accumulators like Chris Carter and Michael Strahan shouldn't be there. A lot of players who are already in shouldn't be.

Allen was a historically dominant player, most of these other guys who might get in ahead of him weren't. Really not a hard call.
  13. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,814 Messages
    671 Likes Received

Michael "Mr. Bedroom Video" Strahan calls him the legalized Killer?
    I thot Ray "Plea Bargain" Lewis was the one . . . .
  14. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,892 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    Then that is more media stupidity.

The Cowboys were screwed in the HoF for DECADES. Recently, they put him Rayfield Wright and Bob Hayes who were put in thru the Veterans Committee because they should have been in decades ago.

Then they put in Irvin, Smith and Aikman. And we STILL had mediots criticizing the Irvin and Aikman selections. Drew Pearson is the only position player to make the All-70's team that is not in the HoF. Of course, there was only one other player to not make it...Rayfield Wright....until the recently put him in.

I can live with Strahan getting in since he was a great player with stats that can be legitimately quantified, particularly breaking the single season sack record.

Sapp I think is overstated. He was unbelievable in the 90's, although a lot of that was his collegiate years.

To me, it just comes off like excuse making to find some way to not allow another Cowboy in the HoF.

YR
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,504 Messages
    1,495 Likes Received
    True Statement.

Just my opinion but I believe that Allen and Ogden will get in no problem. I think that Parcells will probably get in and and after that, it gets a little bit tough. I see the next three as Haley, Strahan and Sapp as all on the fence. To a lessor extent, Parcells but he too could also be in this group. Parcells was eligible last year and he didn't get in so I could easily see how he might not be a lock either.

Haley, Strahan and Sapp are all close IMO. Of the three, I believe that Haley has 100.5 sacks in 12 season and 5 Rings but his history with the Press (people in general) hurts him. He's been eligible for 9 years now and he probably should have been in a long, long time ago so that says something.

Strahan, well, he's the all time single season sack leader, has 141.5 Sacks in 15 season. He's always been a guy who was likable and approachable. He's probably got the best chance of the three IMO, to get in.

Sapp is a guy who is probably dead center of Haley and Strahan. He had 96.5 Sacks in 13 seasons, which is not as impressive on the surface as the other two, but when you consider that he did it as in interior lineman, it becomes very impressive indeed. Sapp had personality but he never really had, what I consider to be, a great relationship with the press in his playing days. However, like Strahan, he is now a member of the Press so that could change things considerably.

At the end of the day, if I lined all of these 5 players up on opposite sides of the ball, I am convinced that both Allen and Ogden would dominate any of these three Defensive Lineman in their respective playing days. To me, that is the measure of who should get in and who should not. To me, it's a battle of 3 DLs for two spots with 2 OLs in as first ballot players.

That's how I see it.
  16. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,504 Messages
    1,495 Likes Received
    The Cowboys only won 1 Superbowl with Allen as well.

Ogden was right there with Larry. If Larry got in and Ogden didn't, I would be just as confounded over that as I would if Ogden was voted in and Allen was not.

They were both 1st Ballot HOF guys IMO.
  17. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,395 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I agree with that for the most part and if that is the case... I would go with Strahan over Sapp or Haley.
  18. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,621 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    Larry was a Pro Bowler and first-team All-Pro at LG, RG, and LT. He only played RT his rookie year.
  19. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,056 Messages
    284 Likes Received
    The only way to beat Larry Allen in his prime was to avoid him. Whenever he got his hands on you, it was over. The guy benched pressed 700 freaking pounds.

If he doesn't make the pro-bowl first ballot, the media people need to be fired from ever voting for the HOF again.
  20. hmcorp

hmcorp Member

685 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Wait how many times has sapp and Ogden been up for hofame now???