1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mike Fisher Interview of Jason Garrett...w/audio Post #1

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by craig71, Jan 2, 2013.

1. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,440 Messages
    2,374 Likes Received
    :D

Well said.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,781 Messages
    2,508 Likes Received
    :wink2:
  3. percyhoward

8,440 Messages
    2,374 Likes Received
    Do you think we need to run the ball better?
  4. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,580 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    Oh I don't know? He just answered all of the hypercritical posters complaints. He dumbed it down for some people. I know that will be look past though. He didn't just say all of the things you've been saying he wouldn't say, right?

Carry on with your hate!
  5. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,781 Messages
    2,508 Likes Received
    A hell of a lot better, but we can't do it with most of these blockers.
  6. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,225 Messages
    2,043 Likes Received
    Collective responsibility. I find this to be an interesting answer when the question was specifically about Garrett.

1. There is no game next week, so opening up hurts no one.

2. Being open means little since I factor in that a coach will not tell the truth. However, there was a lot of "we" answers for question specifically about Garrett.

This is just more of the same for me. The dodging type of answer.

But then Fish let him off the hook by not asking one pointed question.

"Jason, why did you not make adjustments after halftime when Haslet showed he would blitz the entire second half?"

Not sure anything will be settled by this presser. But to suggest this was somehow greatness is either a huge amount of gullibility or has an agenda that absolves Garrett because he is a pet.

I want the team to get better, as well.

However, I think being proactive instead of having a board meeting and taking personal responsibility would be the best course of action.

Not speaking in we terms when asked specific questions about Garrett's performance.

This smacks of the all teams have injuries so it is not an excuse, then listing the injuries in his loser press conference.

This is a results oriented game.

For me I expect results, not excuses.
  7. percyhoward

8,440 Messages
    2,374 Likes Received
    Agree on both counts.
  8. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    That interview was so good it almost erased both 8-8 seasons we just had. This guy is good.
  9. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,589 Messages
    650 Likes Received
    If Garrett is all about bettering the team, then there is no question he needs to defer calling plays.

C'mon Garrett. Do it for the Dallas Football Cowboys.
  10. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,638 Messages
    4,904 Likes Received
    He used a teleprompter.
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    :laugh1:

There wasn't anything new here. Sure, he laughs a few times, unlike in PCs, but he's still cliched and robotic. He's just like he's been in some of the Babe or other setup interviews. Fisher is a huge Cowboys organization suckup so you knew he wasn't going to actually ask anything tough. (Fisher used to suck up to Switzer and bash Jimmy when Barry was the coach here.)

He needs to be put less thought into his press conferences and more into how to counter a basic blitz package.
  12. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,010 Messages
    498 Likes Received
    I like Garrett I really do. I think he would be doing himself a favor by handing off some of his duties to a play caller and concentrating on the bigger picture. I think he's smart enough to let that happen at some point.
  13. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I could care less how he interviews other than for the entertainment factor.

Parcells was a great coach and an interesting interview.

Belichick is a great coach and a horrible interview.....although at times he is almost comical at how hard he works to be bland, yet almost condescending.

However, I'd prefer a coach who gives generic responses for the very reasons Garrett stated.

I've said multiple times before.....there is going to be a learning curve with Garrett and we're dealing with it right now. I think my biggest concern at this point is the lack of improvement offensively. Mainly the inability to translate yards to points which has been fairly common under Garrett. I also don't see a lot of flexibility or adaptation offensively either.

Might be the rare case where Garrett is a better HC than coordinator and the team would do well to hand off his playcalling responsibilities. I still think having Reeves on board when Wade was coach would have done wonders. Even the Sparano training wheels helped a lot in 2007 and Sparano hasn't impressed me as an offensive coordinator since. However, I think he had a good feel for game management.
  14. percyhoward

8,440 Messages
    2,374 Likes Received
    Word.
  15. TwoDeep3

6,225 Messages
    2,043 Likes Received
    Hos, the question I have for you is this.

Reading your comment above, it lends the feeling you think the blocking isn't good enough to protect Romo, run the ball, and to be unpredictable.

I agree.

But what I want to understand - and I ask this in the most respectful way - is how did you come to this conclusion after sixteen games and not after the first eight games when the results were evident then?

I am not trying to start trouble. I have faith in your understanding of the game, talent, and coaching.

But what I don't understand is when this was clear back in Oct. how you didn't see it then, or acknowledge it?
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    Parcells also said when he was hired here that it's not his objective to always be honest with the media. Sometimes it's in his best interest not to be.

I completely agree with that. We aren't owed anything as fans except a competitive team on the field. We don't need to know the details. We'd like to but we don't need to.
  17. TwoDeep3

6,225 Messages
    2,043 Likes Received
    I see absolutely no difference in the way this team is coached now and when under Wade.

Both examples had a OC and a DC working independently.

So to that the on the job training shows he has little imagination or the ability to self assess and make quantifiable changes.

He is slow at the up take on adjustments in game, and has a penchant for running slow developing plays, both run and pass against the fastest defenses, as if he will fool them.

And doing so behind this line that was horrid from jump street makes me wonder if you donate enough money can you really get paper from Princeton.

Out coached seems to be a theme over the last two years. Five years in the saddle and what has he learned?

Not enough to be consid3ered a shoe in for getting it down.

Now I don't know if firing him is the right move. especially with seven other teams already kicking their head coach out. Once again Jerry is slow on the trigger.

But spending more time wet nursing this guy while the players age seems to be tossing good money after bad.

I think we are screwed again this next year and 8-8 will look like a coach of the year performance.
  18. goshan

goshan Active Member Zone Supporter

1,880 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Hate to speak for Hostile, but I do recall him saying pretty early on that the o-line was too poor to be competitive on O.
  19. TwoDeep3

6,225 Messages
    2,043 Likes Received
    I seem to recall both RS and I worrying about the line and he was very positive about both Livings and Bernadeau working out well.

So unless I missed the post where he was concerned, he was touting both acquisitions pretty steadily.
  20. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    But really, someone needs to take Jason aside and set him straight about this Dallas "football" Cowboys nonsense. Move back to New York, clownshoes. We are the DALLAS COWBOYS.