1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mike Fisher Speculation: Believes the team is going to 4-3

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,523 Messages
    2,211 Likes Received
    I honestly don't care one way or the other what they run.

Although, with Carter and Lee now developing it seems odd to switch it up. They're finally going to get consistent play in the middle and are gonna switch things up significantly.

Run whatever you want but how about quitting the random dart toss in terms of getting something out of the defense by switching coordinators and now schemes and instead get some guys up front that don't welcome the opposition to walk all over you.
  2. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,892 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    Alec Ogletree? He's projected to go around where we pick.
  3. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,953 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    I've never been a fan of the 34. But how long will it take to change back to a 43?

The secondary should be ok.

LB may be ok.

MLB: Lee
    OLB: Carter/Wilbur?
    OLB: Albright/Sims (assuming we keep him)
    Reserves: McSurdy (if he comes back healthy)
    I think a draft pick here would be needed.

DL is scary.
    RDE: Ware
    DT: Crawford
    DT: Lissemore
    LDE:Hatcher???

A draft pick is almost surely needed...especially, at DE.
  4. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Wha...what? He's probably a better fit as a 43 end than at his current position.
  5. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

6,330 Messages
    468 Likes Received
    never understood the change to the 3-4 in the first place when Dallas had Mike Zimmer as the defensive coordinator and I can't stand zone blocking on the offensive line...so with regards to Callahan, they can fire him too....
  6. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,222 Messages
    990 Likes Received
    If we go 4-3, we still need a big body DL who can protect our LBs from the opposing O-lineman so that the LBs can make plays.

Our run defense wasn't that good with 5 big bodies, it's going to be worse with 4 unless we upgrade our DTs.
  7. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,596 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    I'll remain hopeful since it's just speculation at this point but I'd be ecstatic if this happens.
  8. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,239 Messages
    1,360 Likes Received
    Ratliff is the perfect 4-3 dt, and it doesn't matter where you put Lee & Carter. Just put your studs on the field, and spread them out amongst the LB core, and let it rip.
  9. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,276 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Look at Denver and seattle, you can have 3 big DL on a 4-3. I think Hatcher could play DE on the strong side. We just need a solb, which I also think Spencer could play.
    Seattle and Denver has top defenses and we could mold our current defense a lot like theirs.
  10. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,546 Messages
    390 Likes Received
    Gosh I hope so. :pray: Us in the 3-4 don't get along.
  11. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Active Member

560 Messages
    208 Likes Received
    A 43 will not work with our personnel at LB and DE. Doesn't matter what they played in college, this is the NFL, and Spencer and Ware will not just be able to switch to DE's as easily as everyone hopes because it is a much different position. Plus we have excellent depth at LB, why take one off the field?
  12. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,546 Messages
    390 Likes Received
    I think switching to the 4-3 would also allow us to let spencer go easier. Because we don't have another strong side 3-4 OLB on the roster right now. Now if we move to a 4-3 we can get by with probably albright at SOLB or draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd round. I say we still would need to draft d-line if we switch to the 4-3 thought. Sheldon Robinson (sp?) might be a perfect fit for strong side DE in the 4-3.
  13. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,400 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    This^

We are fixing things that aren't broken. Next, true to form, Jerry will fail to fix the things that are.

It sucks beyond words.
  14. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,774 Messages
    727 Likes Received
    If that's the case, I'm glad.

Not a fan of the 3-4.
  15. RGKN33

RGKN33 New Member

78 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    why not ?
    Its not like we played great in the 3-4
  16. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Active Member

560 Messages
    208 Likes Received
    Because we don't have the DE's to run a 43, and DE's happen to be the most important position in a 43 front
  17. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,403 Messages
    884 Likes Received
    much of this focuses on Garrett's "philosophy" comment.

Philosophy can mean a ton of things. Look at Parcell's 3-4 vs. Wade's - different philosophies. Dom Capers ... different philosophy.
  18. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,403 Messages
    884 Likes Received
    I think many people on this board have pointed out that Spencer appears an ideal 4-3 DE. Ware would be Ware in that position as well. What we lack is legitimate depth there - it will be hard for a 4-3 DE to play every snap like Ware and Spencer do now
  19. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Rearranging the deck chairs.

It took boy wonder 3 years to figure out what kind of defense he likes. Wow.
  20. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,774 Messages
    727 Likes Received
    Part of Garrett's process apparently is to take super long to figure out something pretty simple but fundamental to what your trying to do.