1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mike Fisher Speculation: Believes the team is going to 4-3

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Jan 8, 2013.

1. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Active Member

370 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Ware would not be ware, that's the problem. Ware currently only plays in a 3 point on passing downs. Defending the run from a 3 point is much different then from a 2 point. Also, Ware has been playing OLB is whole NFL career, a change at this point would be difficult because it's a much different position. Maybe 3 years ago, but not now.
  2. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,404 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Anyone think spears might actually look decent in a 4-3 front next to rat?
  3. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,404 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Dwight freeney and robert mathis had no prob switching to a 3-4 why sould ware have a hard time? Moving from de and having to cover space and drop in zones is a much tougher change to me than moving from olb to de would be.
  4. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Active Member

370 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Ya and how good is Indy against the run? Ware and Spencer having to drop into coverage was a part of Ryan's scheme, a stupid part at that, and one that can be changed now. We can stay in 34 and not have to drop them into coverage
  5. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Staff Member

14,556 Messages
    1,643 Likes Received
    I'm not so sure about that. Before his stint with the Cowboys, Charles Haley played outside linebacker in San Francisco's 3-4 scheme. He made the transition to defense end in Dallas' 4-3 scheme when he was at roughly the same point in his career that Ware is now.

Additionally, it's not like Ware has never played in a three point stance; Ryan ran some four man fronts.
  6. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Active Member

370 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Ware only went into 3 point stances in pure pass rushing situations. He wouldn't be able to play 3 downs in a 3 point because defending the run is much different in a 3 point than in a 2 point.
  7. ScipioCowboy

14,556 Messages
    1,643 Likes Received
    I'm sure it is. However, if Charles Haley can make the transition, I don't doubt Ware can as well.
  8. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,850 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    Oh I'm not for it -- I think we've drafted to this D for years. Just moving to a 4-3 for the sake of making a change is useless. You can have success in either sort of D.

The folks here who really prefer the 4-3 like it because that is what we had success with in the 90s and they hate anything that stinks of Bill Parcells. Some folks can't let go of the past.
  9. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Active Member

370 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Haley is before my time so I can't speak specifically to that, but what I do know is that tackles were not as big or fast or as athletic as they are now. Ware doesn't have the size to go against tackles every down, not to mention double teams from guards, something he had protection from as an OLB from his DE's. Add on the fact that Ware has shown some wear and tear and he's slowed down a bit, and I don't think the transition will work
  10. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,714 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Some od the best de in thr nfl are ware size
  11. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,508 Messages
    747 Likes Received
    Keep the 3-4, bring in Dom Capers from Green Bay and turn him loose. He's done great things with Clay Matthews. Let him work with Demarcus and the rest of the LB's.

You will forget all about the 4-3 if you go that direction.
  12. fffiasco

fffiasco Member

733 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    ware can make the switch effectively... else they wouldn't even consider making the change. The defense is built around him.
  13. ScipioCowboy

14,556 Messages
    1,643 Likes Received
    Ware is about the same size as Dwight Freeney, who's had an extremely productive and successful career in Indy.

And a move to defensive end might prolong his career. It would minimize his responsibilities -- he would no longer be asked to cover -- and he could become a rotational player.
  14. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Active Member

370 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Jared Allen: 6'6, 270
    Julius peppers: 6'7, 287
    De Marcus ware: 6'4 260

Plus those two have played their whole NFL careers as DE's, Ware has not
  15. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Active Member

370 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Dwight Freeney has never been very good at defending the run though, which is the big difference between the 2 positions
  16. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,508 Messages
    747 Likes Received
    But he hasn't played the position in years, especially against the run where your keys and responsibilities are different.

You want Ware to play instinctively. The last thing you want is to have him to start thinking about what his new responsibilities are. He knows his job inside out. Don't force him to start all over again
  17. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Active Member

370 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Additionally, Ware shouldn't be dropping into coverage in any scheme, that was simply a flaw in Ryan's system
  18. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,203 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    If you play Ware and Spencer on the DL, that line is going to be incredibly light to play against the run. Ware or Spencer with a 300+ DE on the other side, OK. I can't see either surviving double teams by a tackle and TE for an entire game.
  19. ScipioCowboy

14,556 Messages
    1,643 Likes Received
    That's not a flaw in Ryan's system. That's the 3-4. Ware had coverage responsibilities in Parcells' scheme, Phillips' scheme, and Ryan's scheme. As long as Ware is playing outside linebacker, he'll have to cover at some point.
  20. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,714 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Lol. There are more than 2 good de in the nfl. Dummerville and freeny. For everyone you name that is bigger there is one the same size. We aren't talking about some slack avg player here. I'm pretty sure ware could make the move pretty easy. Now I on record saying I would like to stay with the 34 but if needed ware could make the move.