1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mike Fisher Speculation: Believes the team is going to 4-3

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,885 Messages
    7,622 Likes Received
    Really? You guys both actually think this? Crazy how much differently we see this team.
  2. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,976 Messages
    1,999 Likes Received
    Ware is breaking down? LOL this is the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard.

The guy had a injury yr. Last time i checked players do have injuries.

2008 20 sacks
    2009 11 sacks
    2010 15.5 sacks
    2011 19.5 sacks

Does that look like a player thats breaking down?
  3. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,262 Messages
    889 Likes Received
    The neck problems aren't exactly anything new and he's going to be 31 next season. He's not getting any younger.
  4. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,754 Messages
    625 Likes Received
    Lee isn't good fit at ILB...he would need to go outside.
  5. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,976 Messages
    1,999 Likes Received
    OK but has that stopped his production at any point? NO. It was the injury to his arm that had him on the Victor Butler level.

With Players like Lee, Carter Claiborne, Carr he doesnt have to anchor the defense. He just has to be Ware. The guy that gets between 15-20 sacks a yr. Now im not saying that Dallas shouldnt start drafting to get younger. I agree with you there, but to say Ware cant anchor the defense if they need him to because he's breaking down is just completely ridiculous.
  6. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,262 Messages
    889 Likes Received
    It certainly slowed him down this year. As he ages, I would logically expect that to continue.
  7. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,976 Messages
    1,999 Likes Received
    Why not? he plays inside now. Youre trying to tell me Lee cant cover ground or play a two gap Mike role? Really? Lee or Carter both can play any LBer spot in a 4-3

WLB cover Lber spot basically. Both have shown they can cover really good.
    SLB Lee and Carter both are great vs the run. Carter showed he's a monster vs the run this yr.
    ILB the cover so much ground its ridiculous. Carter specifically on the play vs the falcons started in 1 gap slide down took on a block and then laid the boom on the rb. And Lee's countless run stuffs and ground he covers.

Lee Carter and Sims would be a awsome Lber core
  8. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,113 Messages
    191 Likes Received
    I agree with Wood here, however both he and Carter might be excellent 4-3 OLBs (given they learn the positioning easily etc.. etc..).

Probably Carter on the strong side, Lee on the weak, just a guess.

The 2013 Robert Jones (Robert moved inside after Norton left i think) and Dixon Edwards.

Finding a proper 4-3 MLB would then be a top priority, along with DL, OL, S, yada yada.
  9. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,792 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    Carter Lee Sims
  10. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I don't see this at all.

Your best lineup without any additions today would probably be the following, although I don't like it and don't think we'd end up here:

SLB: Lee
    MLB: Carter
    WLB: Sims

I say that only because I don't feel like we have a true SLB on the roster. You could convince yourself that the transition from a 34 ILB position wouldn't be that difficult, but Sean has become not more effective because he's gotten better shedding the kind of pulling guard and fullback blocks he'd see again at SLB but because he has gotten much better at moving and accelerating through traffic and avoiding blocks. In other words, Lee could play SLB, but I think his best position is MLB. I'm not sure what skill you think he lacks to play that position. He has the speed and agility, has the leadership experience, has become slightly above average in coverage. Sean Lee is not a thumper who won't be able to make that transition.

Bruce Carter could play all three positions because of his physical characteristics, but his most natural position just because of his athleticism, in most schemes would be the Will.

I'd rather play Bruce and Sean out of optimal position and throw in Sims at WLB than put Bruce at WLB, Sean at MLB and ??? at SLB. You could argue that Butler or Albright might be capable of making the transition to the SAM, but the best case scenario in my mind?

WLB: Bruce Carter
    MLB: Sean Lee
    SLB: Chase Thomas (2nd or 3rd rounder from Stanford)

Much as I think shedding Rob was a mistake, I'd be positively giddy with the front 7 if Lovie came in and we fielded:

SLB: Chase Thomas
    LDE: Spencer
    LDT: Hatcher
    MLB: Lee
    RDT: Ratliff
    RDE: Ware
    WLB: Carter

Alternatively you could go beefier at LDE with a slimmed down Hatcher/Crawford and sign Melton to fill the other tackle spot.
  11. ThePlaymaker14

ThePlaymaker14 Member

79 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If we switch to a 4-3 I think that means Spencer is gone. Regardless, if we keep him I'd rather see us pick up dlinemen as opposed to a LB first.
  12. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,210 Messages
    683 Likes Received
    they are two things wrong with our 3-4 right now and they can both be fixed.Our d-line is not pushing the pocket and our secondary (especially the safeties) have not their job.
  13. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,111 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    I'm not thrilled at the prospect of moving to a 4-3, however I wouldn't sleep on Kyle Wilber as the SLB with Carter moving to the weakside.
  14. wick

wick Active Member

749 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    With Carter's coverage abilities, he'd be a natural fit on the strong side.
  15. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,863 Messages
    222 Likes Received
    Gotta be the only team stupid enough to try to run the 3-4 without a space eating clog in the middle and we wonder why it didn't work.
  16. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    IMHO, the 4-3 is about to cycle back into as the preferred defense in the NFL.

A lot of teams are going to start mimmicking what the Redskins did with the Chris Ault/pistol concepts, because it helps solve the age old riddle of "How do you compete in the NFL when you don't have an Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning for a QB?" Buffalo's new coach is already talking about it. Browns were going to pay Chip Kelly a ton of money to bring it to them.

The 4-3 defense and getting as many fast LBs and DEs on the field as possible to defend the perimeter and protect the edge is going to be the counter adjustment that defensive coordinators make.
  17. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Lee is a natural 4-3 middle linebacker, ala Zach Thomas, and that's precisely what he played at Penn State.
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Yep, that's what he played at UNC.

Assuming we let Spencer walk .....

RDE - Ware
    1 Tech - ??/Lissemore
    3 Tech - Ratliff/Crawford
    LDE - Hatcher/??

SOLB - Carter
    ILB - Lee
    WOLB - Wilber/???
  19. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    You shouldn't waste any time worrying about Spears, because he won't be on the team next year. His cap hit is $3 million and he has degenerative knees.
  20. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    His injuries this year were a busted elbow and dislocated shoulder (probably from overcompensating for the busted elbow), not neck.