1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mike Florio apologizes for the Aaron Rogers hit job re: the Cancer Survivor

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by perrykemp, Jan 19, 2011.

1. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,948 Messages
    1,732 Likes Received
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Just guessing this thread doesn't get the play that the other one did.
  3. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,004 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    You think those posters who criticized Rodgers over this incident will apologize also?
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,211 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    I saw the video and knew from the start it was blown way out of proportion.

That said, I'm not going to criticize Rodgers for not stopping at every single person who wants an autograph. :cool:
  5. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,199 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received
    Reporters are supposed to use better judgement than the readers. And the readers can only go off of what they read. Therefore reporters should be held to a higher standard than readers who react to these reports.

The posters don't need to apologize, Florio did. As much as I don't like Florio, he's one of the very few that will ever apologize. But he was probably harassed by the denizens of Packer fans over it.

YR
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,121 Messages
    2,224 Likes Received
    Was thinking the same thing.
  7. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Florio didn't do his homework and made himself look like a fool. He has proven himself to be no better than TMZ. He shouldn't need to apologize because he should do his homework instead of spouting off half cocked about things he thinks he knows something about. His apology is a lame attempt at recovering some of his journalistic integrity.
  8. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,004 Messages
    929 Likes Received

So apologies are just for people with higher standards? :huh:

That means readers have lower standards? :huh:
  9. Yakuza Rich

12,199 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received
    I can't believe that you could be so blind to not understand the point.

The reader can only go off of what the reporter reports.

Remember, there's this thing call verifying and validating the story, the sources behind the story, etc. That's the *reporter's* job. Not the reader's duty. Ironically, many readers actually wanted to get this story that Florio reported verified and validated while Florio...the reporter...seemingly didn't care to do that.

Whether you like it or not and regardless of what editor's believe or reporter's believe or whomever in the media thinks...the media should be held to a higher standard than the reader.

The reader goes under the assumption that the reporter has validated the story. I don't see any reason for the readers who bashed Rodgers (and I was *not* one of them, because Florio has no credibility with me) to apologize. They should probably just wise up next time Florio reports something and probably stop viewing his work as having credibility behind it.

YR
  10. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,499 Messages
    588 Likes Received
    I never understood why people were so up in arms about it in the first place. Dude was obviously mentally checked out at the time.
  11. Yakuza Rich

12,199 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received
    When somebody reads 'Rodgers snubs cancer patient', it strikes a chord with the reader. And the reader is under the belief or the assumption that Florio has verified the story for himself.

Florio claims to be a credible reporter with journalistic integrity. His readers who believe that got up in arms. Or somebody who doesn't read him, but understand that he is under the NBC arm, believes that he is credible and they get up in arms.

Let's say Aaron Rodgers actually did snub the cancer patient. If it actually happened, I think that was something to get up in arms over because it would be a disgusting act.

I never got up in arms about it because guys like Florio have no credibility with me. If it was Jay Glazer or Todd Archer, I would be far more apt to believe it. But, I tend to read these reporters work more and do it with a critical eye than your average NFL fan so I can decipher the hacks from the legitimately good reporters. And that's not to brag, I really don't follow the NBA much, so I wouldn't be able to decipher what NBA reporters are good and which one are hacks.

But if the reporter claims they are a credible source, the onus falls on them when they pull this nonsense.

YR
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,121 Messages
    2,224 Likes Received
    There's some truth to that.

But you and I both know that in these times, we should all use our own judgement and never believe everythig we read without solid backup. Everyone is in it for the quick story these days.

Also, they did inlcude a clip--which looked (to me anyway) like Rodgers did not purposely diss anyone. So I based my evalution on the volume of evdience saying that AR is a very good guy and assumed the best.
  13. bracey

bracey Active Member

955 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    An apology doesn't quite cut it after that hatchet job. Whatever though. I'd actually care if Florio actually stepped back and thought about people before he reported his crap, but then he'd be out of work. He feeds off of the worst, most judgmental aspects of sports fandom and sadly there's a large market for it.
  14. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,838 Messages
    1,644 Likes Received
    Exactly .. whether he signed an autograph for her previously or not, NFL players do fans a "favor" by signing autographs as they pass by. It's not an obligation and it can get tiresome at times. Look at all of the former sports stars who charge for their autographs.

It's like the friend that only calls you when he/she wants something. There are times when you will simply not answer the phone when they call because at that moment, you just don't want to do anything with them. Players have every right to feel and act the same way.

If the player insults the fans and doesn't sign autographs, then you have a story .. this was a non-story that PFT passed along as "sports news" ..

-Reality
  15. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    From the article...

Once my anger at being wrongfully accused of running a payola scheme subsided and my Italian nature to never give in wore off, I realized that I felt bad. And I realized that I’d only feel better if I apologized.

This sounds a little self centered to me. If you are going to apologize, do it because it's the right thing to do for the person who was wronged by you. Not to make yourself feel better.

He could have just said, "I feel bad about what I said about you and let me apologize, because it's all about me and my feelings."

Might have been one of the dumbest apologies I have seen.
  16. Yakuza Rich

12,199 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received
    I know that and you know that, but I don't believe it should be that way. I think that's why we see such a decline in the integrity and ethics in journalism, particularly sports journalism.

We stopped holding these guys to a high standard and started saying 'well, it's the readers job to do their due diligence.'

YR
  17. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Dumbest. Statement. Ever.
  18. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,838 Messages
    1,644 Likes Received
    -Reality .. loves irony ..
  19. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
  20. Yakuza Rich

12,199 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received
    Nah, I don't think so.

We're not talking about tabloids. Florio is backed by NBC which is supposed to be credible.

But keep sticking up for the media and blaming the readers and watch media outlets rival what we see over in England or China.

Yep, it's the fan's fault that they thought Rodgers snubbed a cancer patient :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

YR