1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mike Holmgren wants to coach Dallas Cowboys

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by AsthmaField, Nov 11, 2012.

1. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,117 Messages
    2,683 Likes Received
    Sorry if this has already been posted.

Mike Holmgren regularly told beat reporters in Cleveland he didn't want to coach the Browns during his three-year reign there because he didn't have the desire to return to the sideline.

It appears "The Walrus" has regained his fire.
    CBSSports.com's Jason La Canfora told "The NFL Today" on Sunday that Holmgren -- after his unsuccessful stint as president of the Browns -- has "serious interest" in coaching the Dallas Cowboys if Jason Garrett is fired.
    Sources close to Holmgren told La Canfora he's attracted to the role "given the competitiveness of the roster, the skill players present, and his long relationship with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones."

Click here for rest of story: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...t-mike-holmgren-wants-to-coach-dallas-cowboys
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Haha, applications are coming in.
  3. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,679 Messages
    6,418 Likes Received
    Sharks are circling the waters...
  4. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,117 Messages
    2,683 Likes Received
    I have always wanted to see Romo in a West Coast Offense. I think he'd be fantastic.

Not to mention that Dez would get crazy RAC.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,186 Messages
    6,972 Likes Received
    Big JG fan, but this is an option I wouldn't mind seeing on the sidelines if JG is let go after next season. Most of the other suggestions are coaches I'd just hate, but I think Jerry works well with his contemporaries, and Coach Walrus is not someone players are going to think of as a figurehead, only. He'd be more of a partner with Jones, the way Parcells was. Only question is whether or not he's capable of competing still the the current league.
  6. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,850 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    I don't know how anyone could be against this.
  7. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,203 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Holmgren's record for bringing in players isn't any better than Dallas's.
  8. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,361 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    ill be honest, i dont think id see it as a raise but more a lateral move, and how long would holmgren need? can he change a franchise in a few year? JG laid down some decent ground work would holgrem change it all up or jsut parts? speculation at best.
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,934 Messages
    9,017 Likes Received
    I've been talking about the possibility for years. He just seemed destined to coach here one day.

I have no doubt he'd be the favorite for the job should Garrett be fired. I just don't think we'll make a coaching change.
  10. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,681 Messages
    543 Likes Received
    You have to be kidding.
  11. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,550 Messages
    1,416 Likes Received
    Much rather have Sean Payton. If you are going to make a change, make the right one.
  12. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    He's just too old. And yes, there are other coaches in their mid sixties in the league, but they've been with their organizations for a long time already and already have their "guys" in place. By the time he gets all his coaches and personnel in place, he may be pushing 70.
  13. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,850 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    Do you honestly think Garrett is better? You have to be kidding.
  14. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So you're satisfied with Garrett? :cool:
  15. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,622 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    No thanks. He's long past his prime. We might be good for 2-3 years but then it's all downhill after that. A long term solution is best. Not a short term solution.
  16. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Well-Known Member

1,078 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    I think your right..I think Garrett is in over his head and really doesn't have a clue how to coach in the NFL...BUT...Jerry won't fire him this year and if he does I will be very, very surprised....
  17. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,228 Messages
    852 Likes Received
    I love Holmgren as a coach. He's an awful, awful personnel man, but a great coach.
  18. utrunner07

utrunner07 Well-Known Member

9,061 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Jason aGarrett is the long term solution; however, he should be forced to give up play calling duties and bring in an OC, if he refuses to do this he should be shown the door. Holmgren has no business coming in here, it would be just yet another 3-4 year stent and then another new HC. This HC carousel needs to stop.

And of course this should go without saying but Jerry needs to resign the GM if anything is to work out.
  19. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,681 Messages
    543 Likes Received
    No Garrett is terrible. But bringing in Jerry's mid sixties buddy that just got fired from the Browns is ********. This is me not kidding.
  20. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,934 Messages
    9,017 Likes Received
    I see good and bad in the move. He's got the experience and the track record to command respect from not only the players but the Jones twins. That's big. We need that.

But he's old and isn't much of a personnel guy, IMO. He would need to be that here since we don't have anyone in the front office who knows what a winning football team looks like.