1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mike Jenkins signs 1 yr/1.5M deal with Tampa Bay

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Zordon, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Jstopper

Jstopper Well-Known Member

299 Messages
    377 Likes Received
    Not exactly. A trio of CBs with a good passrush to go with it yes. A trio of CBs with my grandma and her church buddies rushing the qb no.
  2. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,767 Messages
    5,047 Likes Received
    He will not be a starter in Tampa Bay. They already have Banks and Verner.
  3. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,066 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    Although I will say that the decision made by the dummies in the front office to invest big in man corners and then switch to a zone scheme sure didn't help anything!
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,020 Messages
    5,048 Likes Received
    When this group gets zero to little support it's completely understandable that they look terrible.
    starfrombirth likes this.
  5. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,174 Messages
    379 Likes Received
    after next year he could be even cheaper. Isn't he more a man to man corner, and not really good fit to the Tampa 2
  6. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

5,000 Messages
    582 Likes Received
    I compeltely agree a better pass rush is needed....but for the money Carr is making...he has to hold his own more often than not. You cannot say "pay me top dollar"...then say "help me" all the time. You pay a premier LT top dollar because you do not expect to give him help from a TE or a chip from a RB. Which allows you to help out a weaker RT. Compared to what he was paid...Carr has underpeformed. Compared to what was given up to acquire him...Claiborned has underperformed. We cannot continue to have to keep learning lessons like this. We will never get out of the malaise this organization is in repeating the same mistakes. Dallas always REACTS to a problem by OVEREACTING. Which is what we did with our CB issue. We need DL....and I see people saying we need to throw the kitchen sink at acquiring them. I actually like how we went about acquiring DL. We have potential stud in Melton. And a bunch of live, hungry, bodies that will share snaps. Which will allow them to go all out for every snap they are in the game. If a mid first round DL is on our board when it is our turn to draft in the 1st round...then you take him. But you do not reach for a DL in the first round if one is not there...that is what I mean by OVEREACTING

I am sure you remember the special teams draft

Or how about the CB draft....I THINK we went for Kareem Larrimore, a kid out of Ohio State names Ross...and a kid from Georgia whose name escapes me...I think those were our first 3 picks in the draft that year
  7. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,907 Messages
    2,727 Likes Received
    I remember all the comments about how jealous he was over Scandrick making more money than him and how that was evidence of incompetence in Dallas. Turns out Dallas paid the better player huh?
    zrinkill, Shatz88 and Seven like this.
  8. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

2,891 Messages
    200 Likes Received
    USF is in Tampa. Believe he's from there. Hope "being home" doesn't have a negative effect. Guy's always had enough talent.
  9. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,530 Messages
    722 Likes Received
    Strange that he didn't get paid big money like so many predicted. It's also weird that Oakland decided to let him go.
  10. The Natural

The Natural Benched

4,720 Messages
    1,488 Likes Received
    Hindsight. You would have a hard time convincing anyone here that at the time of the extension Scandrick was a better player than Jenkins.
  11. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,205 Messages
    795 Likes Received
    I would say half a year at 30% below minimum.
  12. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,205 Messages
    795 Likes Received
    No that was mean. I wish him luck.
  13. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,572 Messages
    551 Likes Received
    Yet, somehow, the front office that has no clue got it right. They've made plenty of bad moves but even the right ones get no respect around here. Weird.
  14. The Natural

The Natural Benched

4,720 Messages
    1,488 Likes Received
    My comment is about Jenkins/Scandrick not the competency of the front office. Take that fight up elsewhere
  15. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,572 Messages
    551 Likes Received
    Your comment was in response to a post from another poster about Dallas getting it right regarding the two players. You specifically referenced "anyone here" being convinced that Scandrick was the better player. Many around here panned the move. They were wrong and the FO was right. Funny thing is, the doom and gloom torch and pitchfork crew around here were front and center and absolutely certain that the Scandrick extension was a mistake and the FO blew it again. They were wrong. They'll never admit it.

And, for the sake of full disclosure, I was in the Jenkins should be the priority camp.
  16. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,698 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    Jenkins' issue is health.

He wanted badly to be back in Tampa so he probably took slightly less to move back there.

CB is a position where most players fall off the map at a young age so 2nd contracts are scary.
    Jenkins may well have to float around a bit on cheap deals now.

Though 12-15m and 7 or 8 years in the league would certainly be a career I'd take, LOL!
  17. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,713 Messages
    6,481 Likes Received
    Yes, but there's also some luck there, too.

I think it all comes down to health. Had Jenkins remained healthy and not tore up his shoulder, they may not have had to invest in Carr. They may still have gone after Claiborne, tho.

Lots of ifs and maybes, but I think talent wise that Jenkins was the better player. Health-wise and scheme wise, Scandrick produced more.
  18. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,410 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    Jenkins played a lot better when he disregarded Campo's stupid "play the man, not the ball" directive. But ultimately it was his health that was the main issue.
    khiladi and WoodysGirl like this.
  19. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,217 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    Bad shoulder is his problem now.

He's a classic example of a lack of a sense of urgency under the Wade era. He just thought that everything would fall right in line without having to go the extra mile for it. That details and improving upon weaknesses didn't matter. He could have had 3 really good years here instead of 1 great year before the injury. And he could have possibly used 3 good years here as a track record to teams worried about his shoulder and use that as leverage to increase his earning potential.

The USF coaches specifically told the Cowboys that you had to stay on him or he gets lazy, particularly in practice. But, if you stayed on him he was very coachable and would get very good. Wade just couldn't be bothered to get out of his comfort zone and we lost a potential All-Pro type of corner.

YR
    Primetime42 likes this.
  20. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,101 Messages
    2,091 Likes Received
    Jenkins played with a messed up shoulder. It's a myth he's soft.