1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mike Pouncey tweeted "shocked" if he wasn't playing for the Cowboys in 2011

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by johnnyd, Apr 6, 2011.

1. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Interesting ...

Florida G/C Mike Pouncey tweeted Wednesday that he would be "shocked" if he wasn't playing for the Cowboys in 2011.

Just probably not at No. 9. The Cowboys are expected to get some interest from receiver-needy teams if Julio Jones or A.J. Green slips out of the top eight, so it sounds like they told Pouncey they'd take him if they were able to move down in the draft. Pouncey was at Valley Ranch on Tuesday and Wednesday. The Cowboys have need areas across the offensive line.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...e-pouncey-to-dolphins-he-doesnt-think-so.html
  2. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Anger is a Gift

3,368 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    I've got no problem with this. He can play every OL position, if I'm not mistaken.
  3. burntricersx

burntricersx Member

506 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    not at 9. wishful thinking at 40.
  4. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,894 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Agreed. He's not the player his brother is. I do note around here that certain players are like that song about the girls getting prettier at closing time. Suddenly a certain USC Tackle becomes Superman and certain Wisconsin Guards become the next Larry Allen. Pouncey wants the money at #9, pure and simple.
  5. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pretty much.
  6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,052 Messages
    2,290 Likes Received
    I think Pouncey is way better @ guard than Center.

With more experience he may be as good as his bro is at Center.
  7. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,619 Messages
    1,034 Likes Received
    He's the best interior lineman in the draft. He's one of the most accomplished linemen in draft. Ya, not as good as his brother ... but his brother is already one of the best pro centers in the league.

I expect he goes first 15 or so. Unlike some of the guys in the draft, he's actually played.
  8. Rhubarb

Rhubarb Member

200 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Do you guys think he's really that deluded to think he'd be picked at #9? If he's there at 40 I'd take him but I doubt he is.
  9. MegaMagick

MegaMagick Active Member

6,336 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Not only does he think he'll be drafted at 9, but he also said that if he had the choice he'd play for the steelers?

Screw him.
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,574 Messages
    2,436 Likes Received
    This one fits well with any trade down scenario.

If we wanted, we could trade down and get him. Then pkg our 2nd with the extra pick and move back into the late 1st if needed for another possible starter.
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,801 Messages
    5,955 Likes Received
    Can he play Center on not?
    I think he will go mid 1st if teams think he can play Center and Guard. If he can only play Guard, then he could fall to late 1st to early 2nd since there are more options at Guard. If he falls, then we could trade up from #40 to get him.
    If he is a Guard only, then I prefer Ijalana.
  12. jason54858

jason54858 Gloomy Sunday

2,219 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    This This This and This
  13. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,510 Messages
    878 Likes Received
    He can play both..but I don't think it's as important as you are making it out to be..he's pegged as a guard in the NFL..and he won't be playing Center for us anyways..not unless Gurode gets hurt
  14. AbeBeta

25,619 Messages
    1,034 Likes Received
    umm, his twin brother plays there. of course he wants to be there
  15. KevinU

KevinU Active Member

353 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    If the tradedown value is good, I have no problem with this. There are some strong offensive tackles that will drop later.
  16. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cant say I'm interested in any interior OL's in the first 20 or so picks of any draft.

If one is going to be drafted that high, he better be Larry Allen.
  17. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received

well first of all im sure we can both agree you cant predict a Larry Allen or even the fact that they show up every draft.

also figuring reality instead of what we want, lets face it, that Oline needs some help, there is no way im sitting at the draft looking to nitpick each pick in the hope we can make a playoff run only for it to dismantle in the first game. we take Tyron Smith at number 9 and we run.
  18. AbeBeta

25,619 Messages
    1,034 Likes Received
    I'm a Pac 10 guy ... and I still can't get past the fact that Smith hasn't played much and was good but not great when he did play ... at RT.

Me, I like to see guys on the line who played at a high level for a big school for 3+ years. Pouncey is that. Smith is not so much. Don't get me wrong, I like them both .. but at #9 neither. Back to 14 or 15 I'd love Pouncey.
  19. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received

okay i can agree if you dont like the player or have a better player that would fill the role. but my main question is, if the playoffs are on the line and you gave up that player to "get the correct value at the correct position" is it worth it if you lost the game?

I dont want to have another playoff run come crashing down because we wouldnt take said player at said position because we were over reaching or we didnt like the value at that spot. I dont think i could take it.

What we are talking about is a dire spot that needs to be filled properly (like i said you might have a better player NOT arguing that) but if the player is within 5 or 6 spots, shouldnt we just pay it because its the organizations fault we're in this mess?

I cant really see it but im just saying one side, one side of the argument.
  20. AbeBeta

25,619 Messages
    1,034 Likes Received
    So here is what I am going to say. If you take a guy at 9, he better have shown himself in actually big time college games. Busts are more likely made of great physiques and projections of success at new positions. So if i'm set on taking OL at #9, I really like Pouncey over all the others. I don't think any scout things he isn't going to be a 10 year starter in this league. He's the top interior player and he's played 3 years of big time college. He's got his brother to lean on, talk to, and compare notes with. To me, that is worth more than "well he looks like he'd be great at LT"