1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mike Sellers throws flag on the ground?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by PBJTime, Aug 29, 2009.

1. PBJTime

PBJTime Semper Fidelis

2,716 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As I was reading the article about Brady's sore shoulder (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20090828028&prov=ap), there was a small clip at the bottom of that said this:

"NOTES: An unsightly breach of patriotic etiquette: Redskins FB Mike Sellers(notes), carrying the American flag onto the field during pregame introductions, flung the Stars and Stripes onto the ground near the 50-yard line. After a few seconds, LB Robert Hanson walked over and rescued the flag off the turf."

I searched and didn't see this posted yet.

There is also a thread on ES about this.

I didn't see it during the broadcast. Thoughts?
  2. cowboyfan4life_mark

cowboyfan4life_mark 5 outta 8 ain't bad

2,931 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Simple...love it or leave it!!

This is what I don't like about anybody calling themselves a soldier when they have never served. They don't know the meaning.
  3. tunahelper

tunahelper Well-Known Member

3,913 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    What a scumbag POS!
  4. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    The thing is..............I always despised this overrated fat, POS before hearing this........now? Doesn't surprise me, he's an ignorant clown.
  5. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I hadn't heard about this... wow...

I'm sure that all of us, no matter our politics, can join in being outraged about that garbage...

Un-freaking-believable... what the hell could he have been thinking??
  6. PBJTime

PBJTime Semper Fidelis

2,716 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Even many of the Skins fans are saying it was a bad thing to do. I'd be ashamed if any of OUR players did that. What a disgrace, even if it was accidental.
  7. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Well-Known Member

4,265 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    I get upset enough seeing players with their arms dangling at their sides during the National Anthem. This is just beyond the pale.
  8. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,790 Messages
    1,180 Likes Received
    Arms to your side for the National Anthem is actually the proper way. Hand to your heart is for the Pledge of Allegiance.

And if its true what Sellers did, he should be suspended for conduct detrimental to the team.
  9. CliffnMesquite

4,265 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    Citation please.
  10. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,026 Messages
    768 Likes Received
    301 National Anthem

(a) Designation.— The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem. (b)

Conduct During Playing.—
    During a rendition of the national anthem— (1) when the flag is displayed— (A) all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;

(B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and

(C) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/36/301.html

11. CliffnMesquite

4,265 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    So, I am right. They should have their hand over their hearts.
  12. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,026 Messages
    768 Likes Received
    Yup .... I was mistaken as well.

I have not had to worry about civi etiquette in a long time.

I do not think its any disrespect by the players ..... if someone like me can think thats what civilians are supposed to do ..... how could most of them know.
  13. PBJTime

PBJTime Semper Fidelis

2,716 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, that bothers me too, but not like this.
  14. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,623 Messages
    542 Likes Received
  15. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Redskins' Sellers apologizes for throwing U.S. flag before game

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- Redskins fullback Mike Sellers has apologized for throwing the American flag to the ground during the pregame lineup introductions before Washington's preseason game against the New England Patriots.

Sellers says he meant no disrespect to the flag on Friday night and that he did it in the "heat of the moment." Sellers says he's aware of the proper conduct when it comes to the flag and should have known better, having grown up in an Army family.

The Redskins last year began a routine in which the last person introduced before the game runs out of the tunnel hoisting the American flag. Sellers carried the flag to midfield, then flung it down near the 50-yard line before joining his teammates in a midfield huddle.
  16. Bonecrusher#31

Bonecrusher#31 Active Member

1,815 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Redskins FB Sellers apologizes
    Associated Press

ASHBURN, Va. -- Washington Redskins fullback Mike Sellers apologized Saturday for throwing the American flag to the ground during lineup introductions before an exhibition game against the New England Patriots.
    "I meant no disrespect," he said.
    Sellers said he acted in the "heat of the moment" Friday night.
    He said he's aware of proper conduct when it comes to the flag and should have known better, having grown up in an Army family.
    The Redskins last year began a routine in which the last person introduced before a game runs out of the tunnel hoisting the American flag.

Sellers carried the flag to midfield, then flung it down near the 50-yard line before joining his teammates in a midfield huddle.
    Linebacker Robert Hanson removed the flag from the turf.
    "I made a mistake by setting it down the way I did, and I apologize if I offended anybody out there," Sellers said. "I was asked to bring it out, last minute, didn't know who to give it to. I got hyped up and put the flag down. It was in the heat of the moment."
  17. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,982 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    Who to hand it to? Just carry the damn thing to the sideline. This ain't rocket surgery.
  18. Big Dakota

Big Dakota New Member

11,875 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If his dad's alive i'm sure was shocked if he saw that.
  19. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thread's in the Poli Zone.
  20. JTnNC

JTnNC Member

77 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is a big sign of disrespect to a lot of men and women who not only have served our country but also love it and are proud to be a part of it. A fine should be in order for this.

I was honestly disappointed last week in our own preseason game when the anthem was being played and not too many of the Cowboys paid the proper respect. They were just standing around in a daze and not paying attention or covering their hearts. It made it worse for me that this is Americas team and they didnt act in a respectful manner. If I were Jerry and that had been captured live on a national broadcast I would have had a talk with them after the game. Some of us are still very proud and believe in honoring our country.