1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mike Tomlin...fined 100k

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Keifer, Nov 29, 2013.

1. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,130 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    I don't think he caused Jones to get tackled, I think he was going to get caught either way, and it didn't look to impact his stride very much at all. I'd say a 5 yard difference at most. Still should have been flagged, and it looks like he'll be fined.
  2. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,130 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    I believe it's called a "Blatantly unfair act" and is at the officials discretion as to whether or not to award a touchdown.
  3. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,487 Messages
    794 Likes Received
  4. theSHOW

theSHOW Well-Known Member

2,846 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    I checked the NFL rulebook
    Rule 17 Emergencies, Unfair Acts
    Section 1 Emergencies
    NON-PLAYER ON FIELD
    Article 1 If any non-player, including photographers, reporters, employees, police or spectators, enters the field of play or
    end zones, and in the judgment of an official said party or parties interfere with the play, the Referee, after consulting his
    crew (13-1-7 and 15-1-6), shall enforce any such penalty or score as the interference warrants.
  5. theSHOW

2,846 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    RESTRICTED AREAS
    Article 4 All team personnel must observe the zone restrictions applicable to the bench area and the border rimming the
    playing field. The only persons permitted within the solid six-foot white border (1-1) while play is in progress on the field
    are game officials. For reasons involving the safety of participating players whose actions may carry them out of bounds,
    officials’ unobstructed coverage of the game, and spectators’ sightlines to the field, the border rules must be observed by
    all coaches and players in the bench area. Violators are subject to penalty by the officials.
  6. theSHOW

2,846 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    PALPABLY UNFAIR ACT (NON-PLAYER)
    Article 7 A non-player shall not commit any act which is palpably unfair.
    Penalty: For a palpably unfair act, see 12-3-3. The Referee, after consulting the crew, shall make such ruling as he
    considers equitable (15-1-6 and Note). (Unsportsmanlike Conduct

I feel that Touchdown would be equitable since Tomlin impeded the path to the goal line. Clearly this should have been in addition to the 15 yards for standing in the white sideline zone.
  7. visionary

visionary Benched

7,264 Messages
    1,909 Likes Received
  8. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,662 Messages
    1,318 Likes Received
    A draft pick seems a little bit much to me. Fine him.
    dstovall5 and Future like this.
  9. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,571 Messages
    931 Likes Received
    Nice to see Tomlin reveal the schmuck that he is.

Everybody seems to love him, but I think he is arrogant, and seems like he thinks he is above reproach.

His demeanor/character has been camoflauged by winning, .. but now that he has to coach, and they are losing, his true self comes out.

His grin after the play did not show remorse for an accident, it showed arrogance that he thought he got away with something cute.
  10. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,035 Messages
    3,971 Likes Received
  11. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,571 Messages
    931 Likes Received
    LOL!

The one with Tomlin, RG3 and Michael Jackson made me laugh out loud.
  12. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,272 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    65fastback2plus2 likes this.
  13. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Every team has a guy whose responsibility during a game is to ensure no one on the team gets even close to stepping on the field during play. You'd figure PIT's guy would know that the coach being as involved as he is during the game would be one of the more obvious candidates to get too close to the field.
  14. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,287 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    is there video of him at the time the ball was kicked? as in, was he standing there the whole time or did he move when the play broke open?
    id say a one game suspension and fine.
    what did jason kidd get hit with 50 grand? seems right for tomlin, thats probably real money for him however, unlike for kidd
  15. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,873 Messages
    3,342 Likes Received
    I'm still trying to figure out how Tomlin wasn't flagged on that play.
  16. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,272 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    Here are some pics I pulled from the video:

At 11 Seconds....Notice his left leg, he is standing legs apart right foot on the line but left leg out to the left, you can see his head looking at the screen. He knows the play is coming towards him.

[IMG]

Next shot, he is bringing his left leg in, who stands like that knowing the play is coming right at him.

[IMG]

Now he has both feet close together, looking at the board, he knows Jones is not to far behind him. His body is canted 45 degrees to the left . Look how he has to turn his head to the right to see the video, almost like he is preparing for a impact

[IMG]

Now Jones is close, In the previous pic, look where Jones outside (right) foot is on the hash markers. It is almost on the very edge close to the sideline, when his left foot comes down it should either be on the edge or slightly into the green space between the hash marks and the sideline. Now look where Tomlin takes a step.....Onto the white line where Jones is running!

[IMG]

Take the draft pick, fine him heavily and suspend him one game. He knew exactly what he was doing.
    CowboyMike likes this.
  17. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,177 Messages
    1,289 Likes Received
    Yah, he definitely knew what he was doing. I've always respected Tomlin, but he stooped pretty low in this incident. I agree he should suffer a pretty severe penalty to deter any other coaches/players from doing this.

Also, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but when you post pictures from your photo bucket it makes your whole album available. If you have any personal pictures and don't want them viewable, I'd suggest putting a privacy setting on them. Just a heads up, and nice analysis on the Tomlin incident!
  18. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,035 Messages
    3,971 Likes Received
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
    Mike Tomlin fined $100,000. NFL also still will consider draft choice penalty vs. Steelers.
    On Tomlin and Steelers, NFL said modification or forfeiture of draft picks will be considered after order of 2014 draft has been determined.
  19. Western

Western Active Member

116 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    Good.
    It was an intentional act by Tomlin ~ his public denials cannot refute the evidence.
    He knew what he was doing.
    WV Cowboy likes this.
  20. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,409 Messages
    671 Likes Received
    I agree with the amount of the fine, but I think it's nonsense to have to wait until the draft order is established before a decision can be made if a draft pick will be penalized. Give me a break, does it really matter if the Steelers pick 15th or 10th or 20th in each round? It looks more like a "wait and see what public perception is after some time has passed" type of maneuver.

For the record I think the fine is enough and no draft picks need to be taken. That's pretty harsh.