1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mike Tyson

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Aug 27, 2013.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

33,213 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    I thought about posting this in the Sports Forum but after thinking about it, I decided that this is really not about sports, even though it is a sports figure we are talking about.

Here is a link to Mike Tyson's first presser, after promoting his first fight event. I grew up watching Tyson. I've pretty much seen it all, from his very start in the Olympics to this interview.

After watching this inteview, I'm struck with the fact that I believe this man is going to die. I'd like to think that this is not the case but I think that it probably is. The entire interview, IMO, is very good, very insightful, but at about 15:20 into the interview, it gets much more involved with Tyson.

I guess I just feel helpless to a certain extent here. I see this guy sinking and I don't see a lot of people around him who can help. I hope that's not true but I think it might be.

2. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

2,658 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Love Tyson! Havent been into boxing since he left. Its been lame ever since.
    CowboyMcCoy likes this.
  3. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

2,658 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Love that part you were talking about. Atv15 mins or so. He seems like a really cool guy. Its just too bad all people did was use him. I like the way he explains how he is.
  4. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Why do you think he is going to die? We're all going to die....
  5. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Mike is misunderstood. I'm happy he's trying to get sober. And I like the way he sits in the chair backwards.
  6. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,430 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    Imagine Tyson playing Middle Linebacker?
  7. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I eat cho childrens!

LOL
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,273 Messages
    1,233 Likes Received
    I think it's more of a positive he's willing to let that out. Especially saying he's been lying about being sober. If he were keeping it bottled up and continuing nobody would know and he'd probably continue on his path.
    khiladi likes this.
  9. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 RAWR

11,619 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    When I saw Mike Tyson appear in the first Hangover I couldn't stop laughing, that was epic...
  10. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,123 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Tyson is the biggest piece of trash in sports. He's the poster child for what's bad about professional athletes. Arrested 38 times by age 13, sent to juve school, convicted rapist, bottom dweller biting attack on Holyfield, arrested 7 total times after winning his first world championship including assault and battery, felony drug possession, and rape. If he wasn't "Tyson" he would have never seen day light again as long as he lived. Since he is "Tyson", he was given 45 second chances by our legal system.

I'm not knocking anybody in this thread because I loved to watch him fight too, but nobody should feel sympathy for a convicted rapist.
  11. Teren_Kanan

Teren_Kanan Well-Known Member

1,554 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    Arrested 38 times by age 13 kinda speaks volumes about his childhood.

Really 0 sympathy? Having sympathy doesn't mean you like someone. Nor does it mean they are a good person.
  12. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,123 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Sympathy? For a convicted rapist who was arrested 45 times? Sorry but no man I don't.
  13. Teren_Kanan

Teren_Kanan Well-Known Member

1,554 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    That's kind of like having no sympathy for a dog you beat and force to fight other dogs, that attacks a child and gets put down.

Is Tyson a good person? No, he's awful. Is it his fault? Yeah a lot of it is.

He grew up in a super high crime area, with a washed up baseball player for a father that was a thug most of Tyson's life. He learned early that might = right and grew up in a dog eat dog world. His mother died in his teens. He became a thug who beat people up.. then pulled off the streets and put into a situation where not only was beating people up glorified, but he got paid out the wazuu for it.

I'm not excusing anything he's done. I'm not saying he's some redeemable character who's just some victim. But I don't think a little compassionate thought is out of the question.
    khiladi and CowboyMcCoy like this.
  14. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

46,923 Messages
    1,819 Likes Received
    Loved him in The Hangover.
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

5,247 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    You really seem to be offended by the rape conviction. I would be if Ai really thought there was anything to it. In this case, I don't think he raped that girl. His behavior during the trial didn't help his cause and his reputation hurt him as well. I have always thought that Tyson had mental problems and it hasn't helped that leaches took advantage of him at every turn. He is scum in my book, and he may have raped a women before, but I have my doubts that it was the women that he was convicted of.
    CowboyMcCoy likes this.
  16. onlyonenow

onlyonenow Benched

102 Messages
    11 Likes Received

I agree. I think that was a set up. A lot of people are getting more sure of that now. especially at the way the woman has acted in the years since.

Tyson was always a thug. Nothing more.

But at 20 years old before Gus D'Amato died he was just unbelievable. Will never forget Spinks basically looking for a place to fall. Never saw a fighter in such a high level fight so scarred as he was. Until Douglas Tyson was a monster. And I still think there was something very fishy about that fight. Beyond the 'long count'.
  17. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I'm not %100 sure he did that. But that was years ago.
    Innocent until proven guilty?
  18. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Like what?
  19. onlyonenow

onlyonenow Benched

102 Messages
    11 Likes Received

I think Douglas was on something. He never looked that good before or after that fight.
  20. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,123 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    He was proven guilty. Years ago? Why would that matter? Rape doesn't wear off after a few washes.