1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mike Wallace's days with Steelers are numbered

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by RS12, Feb 4, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,383 Messages
    1,255 Likes Received
    Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports soon to be unrestricted free agent Mike Wallace and the Steelers will likelly part ways in March. They gave him their best offer last year, reportedly averaging $10 million annually over five years, and he turned it down. They stopped negotiating with Wallace once camp started and he did not show up, and quickly turned their attention to Antonio Brown who signed a five-year contract for $42.5 million that included an $8.5 million signing bonus.

Essentially, Brown's contract signaled the end of Wallace's career in Pittsburgh.

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescr...-days-with-Steelers-are-numbered/Default.aspx
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,383 Messages
    1,255 Likes Received
    Aint gonna happen because of the money involved and other needs but Wallace would give this offense a missing element.
  3. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,324 Messages
    950 Likes Received
    Someone will get a very good deep threat when they sign this guy. Of course if he just goes to some crappy team for a lot of money he's likely going to wind up not doing a whole lot.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,430 Messages
    6,134 Likes Received
    He really hurt himself for this next contract overall this season. He's either going to take a haircut (which is most likely), or he could consider taking a flyer on a short term deal in a high profile city in desperate need of a deep threat. :)

Mostly playing, but we're going to be in the market for a true speed WR, and he does fit the bill. I could at least envision a situation where he wants too much money again out of the gate and a few teams move past him and he has to decide to take a shorter term deal to establish himself again as a big-time WR. At that point, I'd bet we'd be on the phone.
  5. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Dan Snyder is licking his chops...
  6. Idgit

30,430 Messages
    6,134 Likes Received
    He probably is, huh?
    That would *suck*.
  7. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,984 Messages
    1,741 Likes Received
    Wallace would be a nice addition but if the Cowboys spend what little FA money is left on an expensive WR over the line, I will be upset.
  8. Idgit

30,430 Messages
    6,134 Likes Received
    They'd need to address both. But a mid-level veteran FA OT and a high draft pick on the interior OL will go a long way in that regard. At any point after that, a deep threat makes a lot of sense for what we want to do offensively. We tried to do it this last offseason, but couldn't get the right guy to pan out. After we lost Robinson and Andre Holmes crapped out, we brought in Armstrong for that very purpose.

Most likely, we bring in a 3rd-5th round pick with some serious wheels this offseason, but I could see a veteran option, too, if the right guy shakes loose.

Wallace, though, would only make sense if we had him for a year with an option for a second year and an extension if we then decided to part ways with Austin at the end of 2013. We'd still have to pay Dez in that situation, though, which probably makes any two concurrent premium WR deals unlikely.

It'd be pretty cool to see, though, if our OTs could hold up long enough for Wallace to stretch the defense for Dez, Jason, and Miles.
  9. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,265 Messages
    1,542 Likes Received
    Same here. STOP with all the glory positions and give some money to the talented fat guys!

Hell, there are a few glory guys on the Cowboys right now that I would trade for some big muscle on both sides of the ball.
  10. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,265 Messages
    1,542 Likes Received
    And right there is the problem. Romo could have Bob Hayes and Bob would never get the ball...Romo just does not have the time.
  11. Idgit

30,430 Messages
    6,134 Likes Received
    He doesn't. But it's mostly been pressure off the tackles on the deep routes. Smith isn't going anywhere and just has to play better--and it's reasonable to think he will. We need an blocking fullback and an upgrade at RT.

All in all, though, our passing offense wasn't bad last year, even with the porous OL. We had nightmares early, but once the C settled down, Dez improved his adjustments, and KO was worked out of the starting lineup, we were pretty effective even with the limited blocking.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,868 Messages
    2,132 Likes Received
    True, true, true
  13. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Isn't Wallace considered a diva?
  14. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,984 Messages
    1,741 Likes Received
    I don't know about a diva but he comes across as a "me first" attitude for sure and does not lack self-confidence.

He is making it clear that he wants to get paid.
  15. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,761 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    If we had the pieces in place, how great would it be to see a guy that can get to deep balls without throwing out his back *ahem*Smiles*ahem*
  16. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,069 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    Yeah he can really take the top off defenses...