1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mike Zimmer

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by joseephuss, Oct 14, 2011.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,732 Messages
    914 Likes Received
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ing-some-of-his-best-work-with-2011-bengals-d

Zimmer doing some of his best work with 2011 Bengals' D

Move over Baltimore and Pittsburgh, the Cincinnati Bengals are the new bullies on the block.

That's quite a statement when you consider the rugged defenses of the Ravens and Steelers, but the Bengals now boast not only the AFC North's top defense but the top-ranked unit in the league. And they aren't showing signs of slowing down.

Let's take a look at how the Bengals have become an elite defense in 2011:

The fiery defensive coordinator has long been regarded as one of the top defensive minds, and he continues to validate his reputation with his work in Cincy. Through his persistent preaching of toughness and accountability, he has molded the defense into a cohesive unit that adheres to a fundamentally sound approach. In watching the Bengals on tape, their solid tackling and relentless pursuit to the ball stand out. It is not uncommon to see two or three defenders put hats on ball carriers, and the commitment to gang tackling yields minimal yardage after contact.

Zimmer has also maximized the talent on the Bengals' defense by carefully assigning roles to his players. His experience directing 3-4 and 4-3 schemes gives him a unique perspective on how to put players in the best position to make plays. For instance, Zimmer has used a variety of players along the defensive line to best match up with the opposition. This has meant more snaps for Robert Geathers and Domata Peko against run-heavy teams, while more accomplished rushers like Carlos Dunlap, Michael Johnson and Jonathan Fanene log more snaps against passing teams. Zimmer's willingness to tweak his game plan and rotations on a weekly basis has enabled the Bengals to throttle their opponents regardless of style.
  2. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I'm happy for him but I still wouldn't want him back.
  3. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,758 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    I didn't necessarily like Zimmer's style of defense, but his track record proves his worth...

He got too much undeserved ridicule here in Dallas...
  4. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,884 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I think so too. I'm glad he's doing well in Cinci.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,497 Messages
    5,237 Likes Received
    Zimmer's always been a good coordinator. He suffered from the same disease in Dallas that affected Garrett during his stint as OC.
  6. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,484 Likes Received
    Wade Phillips? ;)
  7. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,164 Messages
    465 Likes Received
    Zimmer was a very good DC here until Tuna made him switch to a 3-4 alignment. The fact that he is doing well in Cincy using a 4-3 does not surprise me at all.
  8. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,227 Messages
    323 Likes Received
    Zimmer had his best seasons under Parcells, not Campo, so not sure what you mean.

And while Zimmer has improved, he still can't generate sacks. In 5 games, his team only has 7 sacks. Cowboys have 3 more sacks, in one less games.

And the capper, is the Bengals have not beat very many good teams, other than a Bills' team that just came off an emotional win against the Pats. Stats are nice, but I'd rather have a D that dominated on the field instead of on paper.
  9. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,182 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    Parcells kind of handcuffed him once they switch to a 3-4, but the fact that he trusted Zimmer to run it speaks volumes about what he thought of the guy. Learning to coach the 3-4 probably helped Zim down the road, too.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,767 Messages
    1,607 Likes Received
    :signmast:
  11. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,227 Messages
    323 Likes Received
    If Cowboys fans are going to wax nostalgic about a former DC, then why not Dave Wannstedt? Wanny's defenses can rush the passer, stop the run AND generate turnovers.

Wannstedt has got that Buffalo team humming on D. Rankings be damned.