1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Miles Austin - Will he return to form?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Apr 23, 2013.

1. zack

zack Well-Known Member

2,151 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    Health is one part of the problem and the other is effort. That bothers me the most about Miles. The lack of effort he displays on the field. Rarely do you see him lay out for a ball or attempt to out muscle a DB at the balls highest point.

The famous lights play was the first time I really noticed it. As a receiver he should have known better. There was single coverage with no safety help. He had an inside release and he should have blasted off the line and he would have been under that throw for an easy TD. He simply didn't explode.

And in the second Giants game last season he sat a watched the DB intercept the pass without him making an effort to jump for the ball.

I'm pretty down on him and I certainly expect a lot more out of him especially for the salary he is making. He would have been a guy I asked for a pay cut from this off season.
  2. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,392 Messages
    5,916 Likes Received
    Broaddus right after the season ended mentioned on Cowboys Break how there are some in VR that are not happy with him. Said some think he changed after the big contract.
  3. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,524 Messages
    1,025 Likes Received
    It's only a breakout season if several similar one's follow it. The average seasons are consistent. The dominant 2009 is the outlier.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,413 Messages
    3,739 Likes Received
    2010 was a 1,000 yard season for him as well. 2011 and 2012 Hamstring problems hurt him. I guess I'm not as willing to throw in the towel just yet on Miles. He is still 28 key is the hamstrings
  5. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

3,152 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    And he was doing really good before Romo got injured 2010.
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I have as much of a problem with his lack of effort as I have for his injuries. He drops many easy balls and he doesn't run full speed at times. The big contract ruined him.
  7. Nation

2,524 Messages
    1,025 Likes Received
    1,000 yards isn't the target for Top 15 WR's anymore though. 20 wideouts accomplished that in 2012, 19 in 2011, and 17 in 2010.

Austin's Stats
    2009: 15th in Rec, 3rd in YDS, 4th in TDs
    2010: 25th in Rec, 14th in YDS, 21 in TDs
    2011: 88th in Rec, 78th in YDS, 21 in TDs
    2012: 30th in Rec, 25th in YDs, 34th in TDS
  8. Nexx

Nexx Well-Known Member

1,608 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    +1 this, the guy had bad hamstrings and still putt together a solid season being the #3 target behind dez and witten. go look at alvin harpers numbers in his days here. last years stats would have been career like numbers for alvin. with that being said, we can expect more from austin, he just needs to stay healthy.
  9. Nation

2,524 Messages
    1,025 Likes Received
    You have to compare rankings-to-rankings not numbers-to-numbers. Harper had as many top ten receiving TD years in Dallas as Austin has.
  10. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,777 Messages
    61 Likes Received

I don't think the big contract ruined him or Doug Free, I just think that neither were worth the contracts they signed. You don't pay someone big money after one good year. Austin has always had injury problems even before he became a starter. I think Jerry just couldn't help himself as usual. As for not runnng full speed, I think Austin is unable to run hard because he is always injured. If he were to try and let loose, I'm sure his fragile hammy would snap.
  11. Doomsday101

78,413 Messages
    3,739 Likes Received
    I'm more interested in winning. Dez is the #1 I don't think anyone can deny that however a healthy Miles can be a big factor for the Cowboys. Miles cap hit this year is 3.5 mill that is not alot by NFL standards. I think after this season Dallas will have to look at either moving him or cutting his salary but I don't see them moving Miles and creating another hole to fill this year
  12. Doomsday101

78,413 Messages
    3,739 Likes Received
    Funny thing is Miles even injured produced better than Boldin and DeSean Jackson yet both of them make a lot more than Miles yet it is Jerry who is stupid or is it the market in the NFL?

Miles contract is not amongst the top in the NFL
  13. SHAMSzy

SHAMSzy Active Member

359 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    We just need Miles to be healthy and abuse 1 on 1 match ups that he will receive against less superior DB's since the attention will always be favored on Dez and Wit. Possibly even get him working more in the slot so Tony has a strong fast release option. Who cares about his rankings among other WR's, this is his role on this team and if he can do this it will fare very well for us.
  14. randy932

randy932 Member

529 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    Austin is already back to his normal self. He is normally injured. It was the one great year he had that made everyone think he was some great WR. He is not, due to fragility.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Sadly this appears to the be the case.

That one year is the outlier.
  16. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,194 Messages
    2,011 Likes Received
    This.
  17. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    No, but he is among the top on this team when it comes to salary cap hits and not being dependable.
  18. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,427 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    The answer is no in my opinion.
  19. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    He just needs to worry about staying healthy!
  20. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,459 Messages
    2,879 Likes Received
    For whatever reasons, be it injury or be it dogging it, his numbers are way down from his breakout season. He was 4th in TDs in 2009 and 34th in TDs last season.

Like I said, I don't know if it is the injury issue or if he is not giving full effort now that he got paid, but something has happened. So this year is a "show me" season for Austin.

Most of his guaranteed money has been paid (along with a $10 million dollar penalty for the way his contract was structured), so this is the evaluation year. If he gets hurt again or looks like he is dogging it, then he is gone after this year with minimal cap implications.

So its up to Austin, he either proves he is a top flight WR this year or he is gone.