1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mitch Mustain

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by UnoDallas, Nov 28, 2010.

1. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Mustain passed for 177 yards againest ND

with about ten passes dropped

Ronald Johnson dropped a long pass from Mitch Mustain at the Notre Dame 15 with 1:17 to play and no defender close to him

Mitch Mustain, QB, USC
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 220.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.
    Projected Round (2011): FA.

he is better than McGee

all we need is decent back up
  2. Christiann

Christiann Active Member

531 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    I'd rather have Barkley when he probably declares next year, I watch USC all the time, he is a stud.
  3. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I thought for sure Mustain would have left SC after the sanctions came out. He pretty much wasted away at SC. It was awesome to see them lose though. First time I was able to smile after a football game all week.
  4. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received

so you expect us to get another top ten pick next year
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,068 Messages
    1,059 Likes Received
    Mustain doesnt do a whole lot for me to be honest. Looks mediocre and I question his desire after starting as a Freshman then riding the pine for 3 years without attempting to transfer again, even to D2.
  6. Christiann

Christiann Active Member

531 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Most certainly do not, I'm just saying I would want Barkley, being a USC homer.
  7. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ah I see
  8. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received

so what you want the kid to do wiat another year to play

"He's a great kid and a great player," Malzahn said. "I think he has a chance to play at the next level. If he finds a system that's right for him, he's a machine."

USC coach Lane Kiffin called Mustain’s performance in practice on Wednesday “phenomenal” and “the best we’ve seen him ever look since we’ve been here.”

he was forced to sit behind John David Booty, Mark Sanchez, and Matt Barkley the past four years. He’s been like Milton from Office Space, through it all; never raising his voice or getting overly agitated no matter how many times he has been pushed aside.

While no one will compare Mustain to some of his more talented predecessors, his receivers did him no favors Saturday, dropping pass after pass, culminating with Johnson’s drop, which robbed him of a storybook ending to a rollercoaster career.

It’s part of the game, you drop balls,” Mustain said. “That one would have probably changed the outcome. I don’t know if there is a worse feeling than that. It was unfortunate that Ronald dropped that one, but we had other chances and we didn’t execute.”
  9. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Mitch Mustain the next Matt Cassel?

USC backup quarterback Mitch Mustain created a buzz after his impressive spring game performance. Mustain passed for 229 yards and 5 touchdowns, showing off his unlimited talent. Baring an injury Mustain will be relegated to backup duty but there is no denying his talent.

Of course when you talk about backup USC quarterbacks you immediately think of Matt Cassel and the success he has had recently. Cassel was never a starting quarterback in college yet he was drafted in the 7th round of the 2005 NFL draft by the New England Patriots. Then when Tom Brady was lost for the season Cassel finally got his chance and earned himself a nice paycheck and starting role with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Mitch Mustain has a lot more talent than Matt Cassel and has an opportunity to be a late round draft pick in the 2011 Draft. Coming out of high school Mustain was one of the top recruits even winning several National High School Player of the Year Awards. He eventually chose to attend Arkansas and start 8 games as a freshman. During those 8 games he suffered from some growing pains but still had a bright future. He then decided to transfer to USC where he has not seen much playing time, and now is the backup for Sophomore Matt Barkley.

Mitch Mustain will have his chance during the draft process to get his name into the late round discussion. He has a big arm and good mobility and will draw the eye of some NFL scouts. I expect him to be invited to several of the Senior Bowl type games, where he will have a shot at showing off his ability. The main problem for Mustain is the lack of playing time but NFL teams are always willing to take a chance on a talented quarterback
  10. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    61 - 3 since the 8th grade

8 wins at Arkansas

1 loss at USC

the kid is a winner

MITCH MUSTAIN ON: On USC's quarterback depth: "It's competitive. I have to improve on everything. I just keep working. Whenever my time comes, I'll be ready...I'm going to keep fighting for it...I don't know why anyone thinks I'd transfer. I said a million times before I came here and since I've been here. I knew the scenario that was possible coming in. I understood the situation. I thought it would be worth it...The hard part of being a backup quarterback is there is no other spot for you. Backup receivers or running backs, they have utility spots they can go do."

Being at USC: "It's so fun at USC. I don't think anybody would trade it for anything. I don't think anyone can match our work ethic. We get the best training. We cherish the opportunities we get...I've enjoyed it. It is better than I envisioned...I enjoy living here."

Sitting out the 2007 season after transferring to USC: "It was good for me to have that transition period and really learn the offense. It was a pretty fast season. By the end of that season, I definitely felt ready to go...I kind of went through that phase where you're just having to tear everything down and start over again. I'm finally through that."

Why he left Arkansas: "It just got to the point where I knew it wasn't going to work out there...It was a unique experience, but it was a great learning experience...I was trying to get away from the perception of being 'the guy' and the expectations that were placed. It's a little bit different game here at USC as far as the expectations. They come a little bit later once you've earned your spot. That's something I was looking for...It's so big here in Los Angeles. You can kind of go your own way."
    WHAT OTHERS SAY: Former USC quarterback Mark Sanchez: "He has a great arm. He can throw the ball through a brick wall. And his experience at Arkansas will really help him."