1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

MJD or Forte?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Zone' started by NeonDeion21, Jul 27, 2009.

1. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

1,983 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    I'm in a 12 team keeper league and I am currently in a position to draft either Maurice Jones-Drew or Matt Forte. My Keepers are Michael Turner and Calvin Johnson. Both RB's have some good upside but who would you take? Other options are Steve Slaton and Pierre Thomas.
  2. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    good question

I'd probably take Maurice Jones-Drew

he's just the total package: running, receiving, returns

but if he's not returning kicks because he's numero uno, then I would go with Forte

but Slaton is tempting too

go Forte
  3. SLATEmosphere

SLATEmosphere Benched

9,633 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Mojo is going to be a beast this year. They just upgraded their O-line and he'll get all the carries now that Freddy T is out.
  4. NeonDeion21

1,983 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    I'm thinkin MJD too but I hope he can hold up for a whole season. It looks like i cant go wrong but it is FF so anything can happen.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,676 Messages
    1,480 Likes Received
    Well...I had forte last year and won the championship with him. He too catshes the ball out of the backfiled and now with Cutler, gone are the 8 man fronts. It's a tough call but I love Forte - tough as hell.
  6. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull Active Member

1,433 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Both are beasts, especially in a PPR league, but I would pick Forte because I think there is less/easier projection.

As a rookie, Forte ran for 400 more yards than MJD and actually caught one more pass (63 receptions!). Forte had five 100yd games to MJD's two. Forte's already a three down back and its hard not to envision the offense improving significantly with Cutler at QB. Jax does have an improved line but MJD could wear down or become less effective with increased work. Slaton is a consideration but he hit a wall during the fantasy playoffs before blowing up in the last game of the season, which was meaningless for most fantasy leagues. I think Forte is safer. Colston's injury skewed NO's offense last year. Thomas can't be counted on for RB1 numbers with Bush around and Colston healthy in a passing offense.

I can't believe your keepers are Turner and Calvin. You have a scary team before the draft even starts!
  7. NeonDeion21

1,983 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    :laugh2: I got very lucky in our draft last year. Our league is filled with lots of actual die-hard football fans. One team has Brees and Peterson as his keepers! Thats one scary team and he has the 2nd pick in our draft :eek:
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,390 Messages
    1,886 Likes Received
    Nice keepers.

IMO, Forte is safer (but unspectacular with is 3.9 ypc) while MJD has crazy (prime years Westbrook-like) upside. So it would be a matter of preference. You must be either picking 1st or 2nd, because (assuming Peterson is not available) those guys will be gone.
  9. NeonDeion21

1,983 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    Actually I'm picking 3rd. The 2 teams above me already have 2 solid RB's and they are looking to take WR's or QB's. They both assured me that they wont be selecting RBs first.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    I would go with Forte over MJD but I think that they both might be coming of injury. Maybe Slaton.
  11. DFWJC

22,390 Messages
    1,886 Likes Received
    Good deal.
    You'll be working with a great team core. Not that it matters for you 1st pick, but are there good QBs available?
  12. MrMom

MrMom Well-Known Member

1,550 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Forte. He's already proven he can carry the load for a full season. They've upgraded their Oline and Cutler there should open up a bit more space for him.
  13. NeonDeion21

1,983 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    The top QB's left are Rivers, Warner and Matt Ryan. I would like to get one with my 2nd pick but I doubt that will happen knowing the owners in my league. What QB's would you guys suggest somewhere in the early/middle rounds?
    QB's that have been kept are: Brady, Manning, Brees, Romo, Rogers, and McNabb
  14. QT

QT Active Member

1,900 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Forte.
  15. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,206 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    I like MJD (had him last season) but Id go with Forte. Cutler should help open up some more lanes for him and provide him with more opportunities in the red zone.
  16. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,873 Messages
    3,342 Likes Received
  17. DFWJC

22,390 Messages
    1,886 Likes Received
    Obviously, if you can get any of those you mentioned, get them in Rd2.

Otherwise, I think Schuab throws for 4000+ this season but you would need to back him up. Palmer and Cutler are QB1 options too.

For highend backups or tandems, guys like Hasselback (normally a #1 but was hurt last year), Big Ben (solid but unspectacular...grt schedule as a bye week guy), Orton (will do fine if marshall stays), Cassel (Haley will throw it), Edwards (great weapons, crappy line), E Manning, and Garrard (top 10 in FF last season with no line or WRs) will be solid.
  18. QT

QT Active Member

1,900 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Here's my advice when you are deciding on 2 RBs. Look to see who they play the last 5-6 weeks. This is when your playoff run comes in.
  19. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    As long as Warner has that set of WRs, he's going to put up numbers when he's on the field. His thumb looks as if it's pretty well healed so I would consider him.

I would also consider Rivers. He's coming into his own. He's only going to get better IMO.

Palmer will be healthy next year and Coles and Ocho, he's going to put up numbers as well.

Cutler is another guy that could have a huge season. You know he's pissed off but you don't know how much talent he will have to throw to.