1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mo Claiborne Scouting Report

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Afigueroa22, May 7, 2012.

1. Afigueroa22

Afigueroa22 Well-Known Member

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    I can't get over Mo and I'm constantly looking for more info on him. I found this article that says he has elite speed and is a good tackler. Found it interesting.

Morris Claiborne Scouting Report
    By Charlie Campbell

Strengths: Elite speed
    Cover corner; rarely allows separation
    Can run with receivers in and out of breaks
    Phenomenal ball skills
    Capacity to make clutch game-changing plays
    Excellent hands
    Fast feet
    Can quickly flip his hips to turn and run
    Very athletic
    Extremely agile
    Can play bump-and-run
    Body control
    Can turn and run with receivers on deep routes
    Intelligent about when he initiates contact
    Good tackler
    Quality height
    Has some physicality with receivers
    Not a gambler
    Can play well in zone
    Solid contributor against the run
  2. MOZONE

MOZONE New Member

118 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I love me some Mo but if theres anything he doesnt do well its TACKLE .
    He does NOT have elite speed either .
    He has good speed good awareness and elite ball skills .
    Excels man 2 man but is good in zone .
    He will be a great player but dont expect him to be making open field tackles on rbs .
  3. fishspill

fishspill Active Member

942 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    He's still a rookie. They're going to run at him and hit him with quick outs all day until he proves he can handle it. He'll get plenty of practice.
  4. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Some of the tackling issues may have been due to torn ligaments in his wrist that he was playing through. He wasn't reporting it because he knew it would take him off the field. No one knew about it until the Combine when he finally reported it.

This injury is incredibly painful and would have affected his tackling and ability to bump receivers.
  5. Afigueroa22

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    You know what, I never thought about it like that. You could be right Eskimo.
  6. MOZONE

MOZONE New Member

118 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No .
    Not going to start making excuses .
    He is an UNWILLING tackler .
    He is a GREAT player but everyone has a flaw and his is tackling .
    Ive watched college games for a long time Ive seen him play alot and he has never been a good tackler .
    Doesn't mean he cant improve but his technique is terrible and he is borderline timid when it comes to contact .
    In fact a good example of polar opposite would be Kirkpatrick from ALA .
    He is a very physical tackler but not even close in coverage to what Mo is and can become .
  7. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,266 Messages
    829 Likes Received
    That is a lie. There is nothing on him that shows he is unwilling.
  8. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,274 Messages
    1,486 Likes Received
    Maybe he's not unwilling but tackling is something he has to get a lot better at for sure.
  9. nathanlt

nathanlt Well-Known Member

1,985 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    No, he has steadily increased his tackles over 3 years, starting with an average of 1 a game his freshman year and last year averaged 3.5 tackles per game. The trend is good.
  10. MOZONE

MOZONE New Member

118 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I dont need a tackle stat .
    I watch the games .
    Not to say others dont but if you do you will know he shys from contact and has poor technique which to me says hes not a tackling machine by any means .

Im not being over critical just want my fellow cowboy fans to be REALISTIC about what he is/isnt .

Remember that cruz play in the 4th that killed us last year ,
    You may see a few of those unless his tackling improves because teams will test us !
  11. Afigueroa22

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Good, I hope they do. I hope their gameplan is to test this kid because they will fail horribly.
    If Mo intercepts a ball from Eli I will jump up while pounding my chest and let out a battlecry for the whole neighborhood to hear. Then they will know, we are back.

:starspin
  12. MOZONE

MOZONE New Member

118 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I hope so too !
    I think hes going to be great i just hope he improves his tackling and sky's the limit !!
    :starspin
  13. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

12,894 Messages
    650 Likes Received
    Every year, there are scouts who get quoted in JSOnline.com articles about draft prospects...

Does anyone have that information as to what they were saying about Claiborne?
  14. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Concerns about Mo Claiborne's tackling abilities are out there, for sure. Though he may not be a prolific tackler, I don't think it's an issue of him being unwilling to tackle or in any way afraid of making the effort. I trust Secondary Coach Henderson will coach him up in that department.

Here's a Highlights Video that shows a few really good tackles. I like the one at the 1:37 mark. Mo displays some solid ability. Good, quick wrap up and drive-through to the ground. I've gotta believe his wrist injury DID play a negative part in his tackling efforts, as Eskimo suggested.
    [youtube]2gR7kLkUlqk[/youtube]
  15. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,959 Messages
    628 Likes Received
    Just pipe down...

You obviously, don't know what you are talking about. Stay off the Highlight tubes
  16. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    LOL! Preach it, 700. I know many have questioned Mo's tackling ... so-called experts included ... but as I said before, I really do NOT believe it has anything to do with Claiborne being an unwilling tackler, as some have suggested.

Yeah, maybe he's got a few tackling lowlights out there to be seen on YouTube, but I think there's some credence to the notion Eskimo first offered up in this thread:

Mo will do what it takes to be the best he can be. It's in his DNA. He'll do what it takes to be a decent tackler as a quality CB in the NFL ... both because he will want to and because Secondary Coach Jerome Henderson will coach him up to be good at it. Just my opinion.
  17. TonyRomoRules

TonyRomoRules Member

35 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,370 Messages
    1,860 Likes Received
    Mo is not a big time hitter and so what. Can he tackle and his ability to cover and make plays is outstanding.

I can understand a person being reluctant to give up a 2nd rd pick in the process but this kid is an outstanding ball player and I think he will be a big part of this team for a good while.
  19. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,331 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    I can't see him being the best player since Deion Sanders and not have elite speed! :eek:
  20. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,298 Messages
    1,194 Likes Received
    Here is what JSOnline (specifically McGinn who is the best connected NFL writer to the NFL scouting community had on Claiborne:

Claiborne -> Third-year junior. "Pure cover corner with great ball skills," Philadelphia GM Howie Roseman said. "They're so hard to find." Went to LSU as a WR but moved to CB in 2009, serving as a deep reserve, before teaming with Patrick Peterson in 2010 and then Tyrann Mathieu in '11. "The only thing that would stop him from being great is that he doesn't have a special catch-up gear," one scout said. "In terms of smoothness, athleticism, ball skills, hands, anticipation - he's really good." Started 26 of 33 games, finishing with 11 interceptions and 12 PBUs (passes broken up). Scored just four on the 12-minute, 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test but scouts say he has a reading disability and learns well in other settings. "He can pick it up," another scout said. "Great kid. Can't read very well. He doesn't take timed tests." Peterson, who had a superb rookie season for Arizona, scored nine the year before. Hails from Shreveport, La. "When I think of guys like Deion Sanders and Charles Woodson and Chris McAlister and Champ Bailey, those guys were a league above this guy," a third scout said. "He's not Patrick Peterson, either. He ends up on the ground some, and I've always been afraid of corners that fell out in space for no reason. But he's a solid cornerback in the NFL."