1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mo or 2 top rated offensive linemen?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by john van brocklin, Nov 21, 2012.

1. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

1,496 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    I think we all agree now that the offensive line is the weak link of this team.

Most all of us were screaming this off season for quality upgrades there.

Why I like Mo the cornerback , he was a luxery we could not afford as we already had Carr and Jenkins.

It's a shame the 2 picks invested in Mo were not used for a couple of quality O linemen.

I guess it's always easy to second guess our front office offseason decision making , but his year they made it real easy.
  2. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,504 Messages
    1,023 Likes Received
    Um, have you seem the "progress" of the onlinemen available at our spot?
  3. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,794 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    Carr and Claiborne have been active and able to play in every game. Jenkins has not.

#reality
  4. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,840 Messages
    701 Likes Received
    Too soon to conlude one way or another. However, I will say the chances of the Cowboys finding two starting-quality offensive lineman in the 1st two rounds is far from a foregone conclusion.
  5. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,158 Messages
    602 Likes Received
    If we hadn't taken Claiborne, Brockers would have been the pick. Where are we getting the notion of Dallas drafting an o-linemen in the first? To me, it's pointless to argue. We wouldn't have even gone that route.

Also, I couldn't be happier to get Morris Claiborne.
  6. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

3,611 Messages
    1,061 Likes Received
    Mo's going to get better. He hasn't played all that well this year, but he shows promise. He's going to be a really good CB, just wait. We'll draft O-Line with out first couple picks this year and hopefully next season our O-line will be one of our strengths.
  7. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,563 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    It was Mo or Brockers and a second, take your pick.
  8. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,563 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Exactly, the Jones' clearly stated if they didn't move up they were taking Brockers.
  9. john van brocklin

1,496 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    Good Point !!!

Our ability to draft playing time quality O Linemen has not been very good : (

Arkin can't even sniff the field, but he was a 4th rounder.
  10. Paniolo22

Paniolo22 Hawaiian Cowboy

3,619 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    If we had taken DeCastro and he was the nightmare he has been for the Steelers, we would be castrated in the media. Since its the Steelers, no big deal.
  11. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,790 Messages
    5,199 Likes Received
    we would have taken zeitler.

i would have slided down and taken him or decastro then got a corner in the 2nd or continue to build the trenches with the 2nd and extra pick. then again, i am a lot higher on jenkins then most on here. i do not believe mo was the right pick. this team is suffering right now b/c of the oline.
  12. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,255 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    The first round pick would not be a OL, so you're second guessing with a fantasy.
  13. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,161 Messages
    2,793 Likes Received
    A very accurate post.
  14. john van brocklin

1,496 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    Don't get me wrong, I like Mo, but when you have an Oline in shambles you should address it and not load up on an area that you already have 2 solid starters and Scandrick.
  15. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,158 Messages
    602 Likes Received
    But Dallas felt like they had addressed the o-line in free agency with Livings and Bernadeau. Going into the draft, they didn't have the intention of going for another offensive linemen unless they traded down and one fell to them.

I recalled something like having 3-4 defensive players ahead of any o-linemen they were considering.

I'm sure someone has better recollection of what Dallas' draft board looked like.
  16. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,674 Messages
    1,524 Likes Received
    Would the Cowboys have had a chance to draft Casey Heyward in the 2nd round?

If so, then, in complete hindsight, an OL in the 1st and Heyward in the 2nd may have worked out well.

Of course that is hindsight.
  17. MichaelWinicki

32,161 Messages
    2,793 Likes Received
    Well said.

Sometimes stuff happens...

No one was counting on the Cowboys losing 14 centers in like 14 minutes or the continued bad play of Doug Free.

No matter what, the Cowboys were NOT going to draft an early offensive tackle this past April. It simply wasn't in the cards.
  18. MichaelWinicki

32,161 Messages
    2,793 Likes Received
    The other thing to keep in mind that there are no rookie centers in the NFL this year who have taken the majority of their team's snaps.
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,380 Likes Received
    It took years of neglect and personnel miscues to have an OL in this shape. It'll take years to fix it. We had great resources last offseason. We should have taken a few significant steps toward that goal.

It's kind of irrelevant what the Cowboys would have done if they didn't trade up for Claiborne. The question is what they should have done. And that most definitely is not what they did. Horrible value. Completely lacking any impact. Not the way you build a winning football team.

It was typical Jerry Jones. All hat, no cattle. All show, no substance.
  20. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,380 Likes Received
    Irrelevant. The NFL Draft is not veteran free agency. You are not drafting these players for first year impact. You have to start thinking long term. Otherwise you're just chasing your tail every year looking for the quick fix.