1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mock 3- 01/28/2013, Free Agency

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by JDSTAR, Jan 28, 2013.

1. JDSTAR

JDSTAR Active Member

218 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    FA Players that we part ways with:
    Jones, RB
    Ogletree, WR
    Phillips, TE
    Dockery, OL
    Ladoceur, LS
    Moorman, P
    Butler, OLB
    Coleman, DE
    Peprah, S
    Poppinga, LB

FA Players to keep:
    Sims, LB
    Spencer, OLB
    Jenkins, CB
    Frampton, FS
    Costa, C
    McCray, FS
    Schaefering, DT
    Coe, CB
    Price, DT

Cut ties with:
    Miles Austin, expected to make 8.3 Million next season
    Jay Ratliff, expected to make 7 Million next season
    Doug Free, expected to make 11 Million next season

FA to acquire:
    Chris Ivory, RB, Saints (age 25) great undervalued back
    Delanie Walker, TE, San Fran (29) great blocker, not much of a catcher
    Donald Thomas, OG, Patriots (27) good guard sitting behind two better
    Evan Dietrich-Smith, OG-C, Green Bay (27) versatile
    William Hayes, DE, Rams (28) again, great player sitting behind two better. 4.59 40 at combine.
    Larry Grant, ILB, San Fran (28) did good replacing Willis in 2011
    William Moore, S, San Fran (28) insurance
    Phil Loadholt, OT, Vikings (27) Peterson didn't do it on his own. Should have put him at the top.

Draft:
    1(18)Ezekial Ansah, DE, BYU every time we turn our head on this guy, he shows us up. We kept hearing of his disorganized play in the Senior Bowl practices, then he played the game. Will take up two blockers, but I see him as the Warren Sapp in a Tampa 2. I'd call him a 1st round DT rather than a DE.

TRADE 2nd (47) to Houston for 2nd (57) and 4th (121)

2(57)D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina, There will be other safeties on the board, but he's better. Will make our Corners look much, much better. Hard hitter and taunts, which needs to stop, but character flaws are faux. He is a good guy off the field. Immediate starter. Might make Sensabaugh expendable.

3(80)Da'rick Rogers, WR, Tenn Tech, Will be overlooked because of other recievers, but may be better than a few of them. Miles who? He will make headaches for defenses when teamed with Dez. Too tasty to pass up in the third.

4(111) Jonathan Franklin, RB, UCLA/ Joseph Randle, RB, OKState, either one can be a part of the best tripplet RBs in the NFL with Murray and Ivory.

4(121) Alvin Bailey, OG, Arkansas, Jerry will get us a Guard, but just when he feels like it. That's ok; with Bailey, Bernadeau, Collins, Thomas, and Dietrich-Smith, we have a plethora of big men to choose from.

5(144) Sean Porter, LB, Texas A&M, good backer. Probably wont make it to the 5th, but players like this can get overlooked at times. Doesn't look too big, but he looks fast. Maybe a replacement for Butler. Watch tape of Damontre Moore and you see #10 running all over the place.

6(175) Malliciah Goodman, DE, Clemson, long, fast, and just might make a name for himself in the NFL. With Ware, Spencer, Ansah, Spears, Hatcher, Hayes, Lissemore, Crawford, Goodman and Price on the line in a 4-3, we will have one of the better DL line rotations in the NFL. May make a few of them expendable

We all know that this all wont happen, but it might.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,789 Messages
    5,944 Likes Received
    Interesting.
  3. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,188 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    Porter would've been a great late round pick if we were still running a 3-4. You could possibily use him as a pass rushing OLB in a 4-3, like a Von Miller, but in a Tampa 2, he has no defined position.

And for that reason, keeping Spencer means no Ansah. Unless we franchise him again, which I wouldn't do.
  4. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

4,266 Messages
    1,339 Likes Received
    This one took a lot of thought and effort. Kudos. But I'm afraid that we're most likely going to retain Ratliff and Free, and maybe even Spencer, so we're not going to have the cash to sign any FA's if that's the case.

I think after Ansah's Senior Bowl performance he moves up a little bit and a team reaches for him. I've been reading that the Saints at #15 really like him and they really need DL help.
  5. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,273 Messages
    541 Likes Received
    You spent a lot of money in FA. Jenkins is not staying here.
  6. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

2,078 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    So we keep Spencer, Jenkins, sign 8 FA on top of those 2, then draft 7 players and have 15 new players on the roster next year? We cut our LS?

Do I really have to say ” this ain't Madden”?
  7. JDSTAR

JDSTAR Active Member

218 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    No, I cut thirteen, add 8 in free agency, and take seven in the draft, without including what we take in UFA which is where a LS will usually go. I think finding a way to get Henry Melton, Adam Levitre and Jarius Byrd on this team as a game of Madden, and I have seen that being discussed in length on these threads.
  8. JDSTAR

JDSTAR Active Member

218 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Just like we signed Brodney Pool, we can cut them if they don't fit. I don't think signing 8 free agents is appalling, I think retaining all of them when the season starts might be. Each of these FA are not looking for big time money, their looking for starting spots, and their money will come. Levitre, Byrd and Melton are looking for the big contracts because they are ProBowl material. I don't think this team needs FAs who are ProBowl material, I think we should build our own.
  9. xwalker

13,789 Messages
    5,944 Likes Received
    FA Players that we part ways with:
    Jones, RB
    Ogletree, WR
    Phillips, TE
    Dockery, OL
    Ladoceur, LS - ???
    Moorman, P
    Butler, OLB
    Coleman, DE
    Peprah, S
    Poppinga, LB

FA Players to keep:
    Sims, LB
    Spencer, OLB: If he stays it will be at DE.
    Jenkins, CB: He will not stay to be a backup.

Frampton, FS
    Costa, C
    McCray, FS
    Schaefering, DT
    Coe, CB
    Price, DT

Cut ties with:
    Miles Austin, expected to make 8.3 Million next season
    Jay Ratliff, expected to make 7 Million next season
    Doug Free, expected to make 11 Million next season

You listed the 2013 cap hits. They don’t actually make that much.

Free should absolutely be cut. Part or all of Ratliff’s base salary is guaranteed for 2013. The Cowboys should probably replace Austin before they cut him.

FA to acquire:
    Chris Ivory, RB, Saints (age 25) great undervalued back
    He is a Restricted Free Agent.

Delanie Walker, TE, San Fran (29) great blocker, not much of a catcher
    If he is cheap, then the 49ers will keep him, if he’s not the Cowboys won’t sign him, IMO.

Donald Thomas, OG, Patriots (27) good guard sitting behind two better
    Interesting player. He was borderline to make the Patriots team in 2012. Not sure he is better than what the Cowboys already have on the roster.

Evan Dietrich-Smith, OG-C, Green Bay (27) versatile
    He is a Restricted Free Agent.

William Hayes, DE, Rams (28) again, great player sitting behind two better. 4.59 40 at combine.
    6-2, 272 Sounds like a good candicate to play on the Strong-Side. It appears that the Rams really want to keep him.

Larry Grant, ILB, San Fran (28) did good replacing Willis in 2011
    He is a 3-4 ILB in SF, but I think he was a 4-3 OLB in college.

William Moore, S, San Fran (28) insurance
    The only Safety named William Moore that I know about played in Atlanta.

Phil Loadholt, OT, Vikings (27) Peterson didn't do it on his own. Should have put him at the top.
    He is a load (pardon the pun) in the run game, but he has borderline quickness in pass protection. I think he a biscuit or a birthday away from being too slow. Also, he holds a lot.

1(18)Ezekial Ansah, DE, BYU
    High Risk. Probably not a day-1 starter.

TRADE 2nd (47) to Houston for 2nd (57) and 4th (121)

2(57)D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina
    Love this pick. He is my favorite Safety in this draft. He’s currently ranked as a 4th rounder by NFLDS; however, I do expect him to get drafted in the 3rd or 2nd.

3(80)Da'rick Rogers, WR, Tenn Tech
    Character issues probably keep him off the Cowboys board. He would be a good talent in the 3rd.

4(111) Jonathan Franklin, RB, UCLA/ Joseph Randle, RB, OKState
    OK.

4(121) Alvin Bailey, OG, Arkansas
    OK.

5(144) Sean Porter, LB, Texas A&M
    OK.

6(175) Malliciah Goodman, DE, Clemson
    I expect him to get drafted in the 3rd round. He would be a good Strong-Side DE in Kiffin’s scheme.

10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,572 Messages
    2,434 Likes Received
    Lots of juicey stuff in there!

I like just about all of the FA departures. But why our Long snapper? Is it price?

The keepers look pretty good too. But what are you doing with Spencer? Tough, expensive call there.
    Are you keeping Albright?

Ratliff may be worth keeping. Austin is on the fence, imo.

BTW, If we were to land Ivory in FA, I would not spend a 4th rounder at RB. Ivory would be a very good fit.
  11. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,427 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    Ansah a DT? Lol
  12. Dalmations202

Dalmations202 Member

176 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Could Sean Porter play the SAM?

I watched quite a bit of A&M and he seemed to be quick enough to be able to cover TE's and RB's, and still be able to get to the QB.

He seemed to have a knack for getting into the backfield.
  13. JDSTAR

JDSTAR Active Member

218 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Why not?
  14. xwalker

13,789 Messages
    5,944 Likes Received
    He did play as a 3-4 DE in college. He occasionally lined up at NT, but that was on passing downs.

At approximately 6-6, 270 he does not have the typical build of a DT. While there are some 6-6 DTs, they usually weigh well over 300 lbs.

Ansah appears to be the ideal fit at Strong-Side DE in Kiffin's scheme.
  15. JDSTAR

JDSTAR Active Member

218 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I'm not arguing that Ansah would be a better Strongside DE in Kiffins system, but a 3-4 Nose tackle is supposed to be over 300 as well. Jay Ratliff never reached that. So why not Ansah as a 4-3 DT. Not arguing against you, xmwalker, but I find pupulehaole's disregard for the possibility as frustrating.
  16. xwalker

13,789 Messages
    5,944 Likes Received
    You'll get a lot of that here.
  17. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    i think Ansah is a WDE.

yes he has size but his real strength is speed up the field.

reminds me of a very poor man julius peppers.
  18. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,066 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    Arthur Brown seems like a better fit he is from Kansas. I see him sliding because of his size.
    per THR:
    Arthur plays bigger than his size. He is very stout against the run because he uses excellent techniques. He has the quick twitch speed and change of direction skills that allow him to be a strong cover linebacker.
  19. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    Brown isn't sliding. He is everything you want in a linebacker. Every bit as good as Sean Lee.

He flat dominated teams. Walked in as a JUCO and was calling the defense in weeks.
  20. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,572 Messages
    2,434 Likes Received
    Whoa jt. Tough to say if college players are as good as proven Pros. We can only guess, imo.