1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mock Draft 2/7/2013

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RamziD, Feb 7, 2013.

1. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,907 Messages
    113 Likes Received
    1 (23). Johnathan Hankins, DT (trade with Minnesota who moves up to get a WR, either Patterson or Allen. We get #23 and #83 in exchange for #18) - I think we target DL in the first because this is a priority position for us and I do not see us drafting an OG this high (just based on history). It could be either Hankins or Short at this slot - Richardson and Floyd will likely be gone.

2 (47). DJ Fluker - If he falls this far, he would be a very good fit to either play RG or RT. We need help at both spots.

3 (80). TJ McDonald - Kiffin knows him and would feel comfortable drafting him in the 3rd. He has good size and versatility. He will be paired with Church and it will be an upgrade in our secondary. Hopefully, Matt Johnson will be good depth.

3 (83). Tank Carradine - This just seems like a Cowboys pick. Injured but talented player who could fill in the SDE void we will have by letting Anthony Spencer walk. We've had success with injured players recovering well and playing well.

Assumptions are that we are not doing much in FA. Free and Ratliff will be released. Anthony Spencer will not be re-signed.
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,423 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    Wow, terrible draft.

I dont mind the trade back for Hankins but Fluker will suck in Callahan zone scheme. McDonaldcan't cover, and the DE tore his ACL so Its a bit early for him
  3. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,907 Messages
    113 Likes Received
    Well, Dallas Thomas could be another option in the 2nd, but Fluker is rated higher by most scouts, so that's why I put him there. If you can block, you can block... plus he already has good strength so he can play right away.

As far as the 3rd round picks, I think we need to take a safety with one. TJ McDonald seems like a logical choice because of the connection with Kiffin. 3rd round is where he's projected to go in most mocks.
  4. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,423 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    You have to draft players that fits the scheme you run, not just because some website likes him. Dallas Thomas is a LG in the NFL and could play OT in a pinch but better fit at LG amd would be perfect in Callahan scheme.

McDonald might have an connection with Kiffin hut that doesn't mean he is the best player. McDonald was terrible under kiffin at USC. Also don't draft for need then you end up with a draft lol yours. If you want a safety then take on in thw 2nd if he is BPA and higher grade than any other position.

I take it you don't watch aloof college football. I watch on.e or two college games a day everynight during the season.
  5. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,239 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    Cowboys drafted Bruce Carter in the 2nd after he tore his ACL 5 mos before the draft. History shows, Cowboys draft injured players. Not that I support this player, but injuries are not a concern for the Cowboys FO.
  6. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,994 Messages
    297 Likes Received
    Scheme we run? How does Nate livings fit that scheme?
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    He doesn't, which is why there is a good chance he will be given his walking papers this offseason.
  8. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,050 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Hey it is a good attempt, now that you have some more parameters to work with you may want to modify the personnel. I know I started with Hankins a couple of months ago and slowly saw his talent level plateau while other were still rising. I am about to let go of Sheldon Richardson as he will not be available, these mocks are like a living organism that adapts to constantly changing data(new schemes and coaches).
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,695 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    If you think this is a terrible draft you should really stop critiquing them altogether and study some lists.

Fluker will probably go low round 1, very early round 2. He'd be a steal.

Hankins is a top 20 value.

McDonald is a legit r3 pick due to familiarity and value.

And round 4 is hardly early to select a guy with an ACL injury considering modern medicine.

I dislike his trade down but calling this terrible is just saying "you didnt pick my pet cats".
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,695 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    No, there is not.

He is cheaper to keep.
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,085 Messages
    5,407 Likes Received
    Nate Livings' 2013 base salary is guaranteed.

Keep: 2013 Cap Hit = 2.4M

Cut: 2013 Cap Hit = 3.1M