1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mock Draft - Norm Hitzges Draft Researcher (Jeff Bowers)

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by robert70x7, Mar 5, 2012.

1. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    For the past month or so, Norm has had his draft researcher post on his blog with previews of each position and draft nuggets. A couple days ago, he released a 2 round mock draft and I thought I would post it here.

He has Dallas taking David DeCastro and Harrison Smith.

http://theticket.com/Shows/NormHitz...ntryId/2887/Saturdays-2012-Mock-Draft-V1.aspx

1. Colts - Andrew Luck
    2. Browns - Robert Griffin
    3. Vikings - Matt Kalil
    4. Rams - Justin Blackmon
    5. Bucs - Morris Claiborne
    6. Redskins - Ryan Tannehill
    7. Jaguars - Michael Floyd
    8. Dolphins - Quinton Coples
    9. Panthers - Michael Brockers
    10. Bills - Riley Reiff
    11. Chiefs - Dontari Poe
    12. Seahawks - Nick Perry
    13. Cardinals - Jonathan Martin
    14. Cowboys - David DeCastro
    15. Eagles - Luke Kuechly
    16. Jets - Trent Richardson
    17. Bengals - Dre Kirkpatrick
    18. Chargers - Courtney Upshaw
    19. Bears - Mike Adams
    20. Titans - Melvin Ingram
    21. Bengals - Lamar Miller
    22. Rams - Cordy Glenn
    23. Lions - Janoris Jenkins
    24. Steelers - Kendall Wright
    25. Broncos - Fletcher Cox
    26. Texans - Peter Konz
    27. Patriots - Whitney Mercilus
    28. Packers - Mark Barron
    29. Ravens - Dont'a Hightower
    30. 49ers - Alshon Jeffery
    31. Patriots - Devon Still
    32. Giants - Coby Fleener
  2. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Round 2:
    1. Rams - Zach Brown
    2. Colts - Stephon Gilmore
    3. Vikings - Jerel Worthy
    4. Bucs - Mohamed Sanu
    5. Browns - Kelechi Osemele
    6. Jags - Andre Branch
    7. Redskins - Stephen Hill
    8. Panthers - Alfonzo Dennard
    9. Bills - Rueben Randle
    10. Dolphins - Zebrie Sanders
    11. Seahawks - Kendall Reyes
    12. Chiefs - Dwayne Allen
    13. Cowboys - Harrison Smith
    14. Eagles - Chris Givens
    15. Jets - Trumaine Johnson
    16. Patriots - David Wilson
    17. Chargers - Kevin Zeitler
    18. Bears - Orson Charles
    19. Eagles - Jayron Hosley
    20. Titans - Lavonte David
    21. Bengals - Markelle Martin
    22. Lions - Bobbie Massie
    23. Falcons - Chandler Jones
    24. Steelers - Alameda Ta'Amu
    25. Broncos - Chris Polk
    26. Texans - Tommy Streeter
    27. Saints - Bobby Wagner
    28. Packers - Ronnell Lewis
    29. Ravens - Cam Johnson
    30. 49ers - Josh Robinson
    31. Patriots - Nick Toon
    32. Giants - Doug Martin
  3. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I would be very happy with these 2 guys .
  4. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not liking Harrison Smith in the 2nd round at all.
  5. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,669 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    Why not? Just curious. I'm torn. I watch a lot of ND football, and I was pretty impressed. Their pass defense wasn't the best at times, but I never really thought it was because of him.
  6. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Those 2 guys can play but a first and second round pick on guard and safety is not exactly conventional football.
  7. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I'm not sure what to make of it either. Shallow safety class, deep cornerback class. Depends what happens in free agency. Griffin was just tagged so that takes a possible target.
  8. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Harrison Smith Bio:

Instincts/Recognition: 2

Displays solid football I.Q. and field awareness and is constantly in sound position to make a play. Flashes ability to anticipate routes as well as the quarterbacks release to get an early beat on the ball. Does a nice job of looking up crossers when aligned as a short-robber. Disciplined and rarely bites on play fakes. Makes a quick diagnosis and reaction in run support.

Cover Skills: 2

Displays adequate top-end speed and has the range to hold up as a half field defender. Makes a quick gather at the top of his back pedal and is at his best breaking forward. Does have some tightness in his hips and can lose momentum when having to make a sudden 180 degree turn. Can match up with TEs in man coverage but will have limitations against quicker slot receivers in this area.

Ball Skills: 2

Instincts provide him with above-average play making ability. Takes solid angles to the point and is aggressive and strong playing the ball. Flashes ability to climb the ladder and separate the ball from receiver. Flashes above-average hand eye coordination but did not record an interception during the 2011 regular season after notching seven as junior in 2010.

Run Support: 1

Physical and aggressive in this area. Takes sound angles in pursuit. Closes quickly when running the alley and displays above-average body control to break down and secure the tackle. Flashes solid point of attack skills when aligned near the box and does a nice job of discarding blocks in a timely manner.
  9. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Harrison is a solid prospect that's benefitting from a seriously weak safety class. I think he's more of a 3rd-early 4th round type prospect. When you consider the fact that there will likely be better talent in the 2nd round (especially where the Cowboys are picking), I don't like the thought of taking him there.

He had a really productive season last year, but he started 21 games his previous two seasons and failed to register an interception. I don't see an explosive element to his game. He's a very solid tackler but not a guy to be seperating people from the ball.
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,132 Messages
    1,035 Likes Received
    Based on his board I'd go Ingram at 14 and Zietler at 45.
  11. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Will the Cowboys still go DE/OLB now that Spencer is on board?
  12. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    IMHO Riley Reiff is going a lot lower than people expect him to.
  13. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,573 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    Spencer is on board? he is a high paid rental at this point, OLB should still be our top priority.
  14. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    OLB top priority? How so? I would take a CB, ILB, G, S over another OLB. All of those slots have starter holes to fill and whatever we draft at OLB will be a situational player at this point that wouldn't be able to make an every down impact like the previous positions mentioned.
  15. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,573 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    I am still hoping we will some of those holes in FA,I would not pass on a top prospect like Ingram if he still available.
  16. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "Situational" like Aldon Smith for the 49ers last season?
  17. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    The 49ers also have Justin Smith, Carlos Rogers, Patrick Wllis and Dashon Goldson on their team.

Cowboys answer for that? Hatcher, Newman, Lee, Elam. Give me the former.

Too many other positions to fill. I'd rather have a guy who comes in and has an impact on 80-90% of plays.
  18. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Amazing that D. Ware has been able to perform despite the aforementioned cast. Not to mention Greg Ellis with pretty much the same cast of characters.

I do believe this team needs an upgrade at DE, but in a 34, the primary pressure players have and always will be from the OLBs.
  19. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I've read your posts in other threads, and I think we just like different players. Nothing wrong with that. I like that Mercilus produced in college, but I just don't know where he fits in with our team considering I don't know how effective he is against the run, when Spencer is above average at it. It seem like he and Butler would be the same psition.
  20. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't know that we like different players, because I like more than a few of the players you have in your signature. Namely, DeCastro and Dwight Bentley.

I build my case for Mercilus off a few things...

1) Per Mickey Spagnola from one of the Cowboys scouting personel, the Cowboys were very interested in Aldon Smith and had him ranked higher than Tyron Smith. The scout said that had Aldon Smith been on the board at #9, he would have been the pick. FWIW, Mickey said the team had them ranked Aldon Smith, Tyron and then J.J. Watt in order.

2) Knowing point #1, Aldon Smith and Whitney Mercilus are very similiar players athletically and physically. They also have similiar college backgrounds in that they played DE in college and had great success in limited time while there. It's just my guess that the same Cowboy scouts who liked Aldon Smith would find similiar things to like in Whitney Mercilus.

3) The Cowboys need pass rushing help.

4) Just from a depth and talent standpoint, the Cowboys are woefully thin at OLB. This team needs an influx of talented pressure players. I like Victor Butler. I don't think the team is holding its breath for Alex Albright.