1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mock My Kiffin & FA Plan

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Oh_Canada, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    Hi Fellas:

Here's my pre combine/post bowl game mock/FA now that we know Kiffin is the new DC:

FA: Spencer, Jenkins, Jones, Coleman, Tree, Spencer, Peprah, Butler all gone

Re-sign: Phillips, Sims, Frampton

Release: Free

FA signings: Javon Ringer, Wil Svitek, Glenn Dorsey

Nothing fancy here. Ringer still has potential given his age. Love his speed and able to carry the load if he had to. Svitek is a swing tackle with experience, did well subbing at RT. Dorsey still has very good upside and would help the rotation inside.

Draft

1st-Sharif Floyd DT- great athlete could play both inside and out.

2nd-Travis Frederick G-Can play both C/G and will start somewhere in year one. Huge, tough and fairly nimble given his size.

3rd-William Gholston DE-notice he isn't all that popular on this board, but I think he'll surprise in the NFL-don't let the last name scare you off. He came on late.

4th-DJ Swearinger S-I like this kid because he is tough and can probably play corner if needed.

5th-Brandon Kaufman WR-Huge WR with good hands.

6th rd-B.W Webb CB-Explosive athlete who can return kicks and punts as well.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,146 Messages
    2,989 Likes Received
    Javon Ringer (5-9, 205) - Backup RB to Chris Johnson. I don't know much about him.

Wil Svitek (6-6, 331, Age 31) - Good choice. He is a quality backup/almost-starter in Atlanta. He would get to compete for a starting job here.

Glenn Dorsey (6-2, 297) - Maybe a different scheme would be better for him. He is not an ideal fit as a 3-4 DE.

Interestingly, this old blurp on nfl.com compared Dorsey to Warren Sapp or Anthony McFarland the Starting DTs for Kiffin’s Super Bowl team in Tampa Bay.

Compares To: WARREN SAPP-Oakland...While both have made a nice living off their explosive initial step, Dorsey does not have the same game-changing ability Sapp displayed during the prime of his career. Let's face it, Dorsey is a good sanitation man (takes out the trash by handling multiple blockers, thus freeing a teammate up to make the play), but if statistics tell the true story, he had just 13 sacks, 27 stops for losses and seven quarterback pressures in 51 collegiate games. While we will follow the party line that he could develop into another Sapp, he also could be a clone of a former LSU Tiger, Anthony McFarland.

I think that they will look at DT Free Agency. Henry Melton would be the perfect fit as Kiffin's under-tackle, the position he played in Chicago.

They should look at Safety and OG in FA, but I don't know if it will happen.
  3. xwalker

10,146 Messages
    2,989 Likes Received
    Looks good.

Spencer - Before the change in defensive coordinators, I thought that Spencer was a must re-sign; however, now I don't think he has as much value to the Cowboys.

Sims - They should definitely re-sign him to a reasonable contract. He was impressive considering the circumstances. Obviously, he is a great fit in a 4-3.

Phillips - Not certain that they re-sign him. I think Garrett wants a better blocker.

Frampton - Yes

I could see them bringing Peprah to training camp to compete for a job.

Free should definitely be cut.
  4. xwalker

10,146 Messages
    2,989 Likes Received
    Ok, now for the draft analysis.

1st-Sharif Floyd DT- great athlete could play both inside and out.
    I like the player but I think #18 is early for him. You could trade down to the late 1st or early 2nd an still get him, IMO.

2nd-Travis Frederick G-Can play both C/G and will start somewhere in year one. Huge, tough and fairly nimble given his size.
    Good. The Cowboys really need someone that can play Center. It's ok if he starts at OG in year-1 and possibly remains at OG depending on the Center situation; however, they must have more options at the Center position.

3rd-William Gholston DE-notice he isn't all that popular on this board, but I think he'll surprise in the NFL-don't let the last name scare you off. He came on late.
    I think he is more valuable to a 3-4 team.

4th-DJ Swearinger S-I like this kid because he is tough and can probably play corner if needed.
    Love this pick. This is my favorite safety in the draft.

5th-Brandon Kaufman WR-Huge WR with good hands.
    Good.

6th rd-B.W Webb CB-Explosive athlete who can return kicks and punts as well.
    Good.
  5. Oh_Canada

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    Gholston is a guy I was on the fence about taking now that they made the move to the 4-3...the other option was Carradine.

Firmly believe Floyd will move up as the post season bowl games and combine continue. Love his toughness and explosiveness.
  6. Goldenrichards83

Goldenrichards83 Active Member

1,612 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Any draft that addresses the trenches in the first 2 rds are fine with me but, the 3rd is where I would look for my safety. Safety is a essential position in Kiffins defense so we need to get a good one. Love your thinking on everything else.
  7. Oh_Canada

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    I think what they do at safety will be very interesting this offseason. If they go with one very high in the draft or spend big bucks on a FA, I am guessing they have no confidence in Church coming back 100% because it seems pretty clear they have high hopes for Johnson. I am hoping Church does come back healthy because he was really coming on.
  8. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,277 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    Svitek is a solid, under the radar signing. There had been some talk of him even challenging Sam Baker (who I think is a FA as well?)

Like the Kaufman pick. Same school as Matt Johnson
  9. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,397 Messages
    802 Likes Received
    Keeping Coleman doesn't make a lot of sense to me. He isnt a 4-3 end and while he may be able to play on the nose, he is not a candidate for the 3 tech and he's been playing 3-4 for the Jets nad us for basically forever.

Like the player but not on this team with Kiffin's defense.
  10. xwalker

10,146 Messages
    2,989 Likes Received
    He has Coleman gone. I misread it the first time also.

11. Goldenrichards83

Goldenrichards83 Active Member

1,612 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Church would be good in this defense because he's a aggressive sure tackler in the mode of a John Lynch. Pair him with a center field safety like a Jarius Byrd or someone in the draft like a Baccari Rambo
  12. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,924 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    love love love the Javon Ringer pcikup