1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mock with a trade back

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by tm1119, Apr 6, 2011.

1. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    We trade the 9th to New England for their 1st(17th), 3rd(74th), and 5th(156)- New England has a plethora of picks and I believe there is going to be someone there at #9 that they will covet for their aging D that wont fall to 17. Possibly 1 of Bowers, Watt, or Jordan.

Now our draft....
    17th- Anthony Castonzo OT BC- I know hes a tall OT from BC, but that doesnt mean we should stay away from just because he sort of reminds us of Colombo. He has great size and and scored the 2nd highest on the wonderlic of all prospects at the combine. He also admits to having an obsession with being the best. Sounds like a kid I want on my team

40th- Brandon Harris CB Miami U- Elite athlete with exceptional ball skills. With Jenkins being extremely inconsistent and Newman getting old and a possible cut Harris is a good value in the 2nd round. Hes a little raw, but if coached up he could be a stud.

73rd- Jerrell Powe NT Ole Miss- 1 word- Big. 6'2 329. The exact big body we have been lacking. A bit of an underachiever in college, but I believe if you dumb down his game plan to where hes only on the field to take up space and stuff the run he could be a good situational player in the 3-4.

74th- John Moffit OG Wisconsin- Solid as they come. Good size, pretty good athleticism and a smart kid. Very experienced against good competition too, could easily start from day 1 if all things go well. May be a bit of an over pick in the 3rd, but hes the 4th best true OG in this draft in my opinion.

105th- Chris Culliver FS/CB/KR South Carolina- Intriguing prospect. Got recruited as a WR, then switched to FS and finally played CB as a senior before he got hurt. Good size at 6' 200 lbs and has great athleticism, my thinking would be to try to move him back to FS and let him develop there. If all else fails he was SC's all time leader in kick return yards.

137th- Blial Powell RB Louisville- Good size and power to be what Barber was 2 or 3 years ago. Situational back option to go with Felix and Choice

156th- Marc Herzlic OLB BC- Good pass rusher that could be used in tandem with Spencer. Was looking like a 1st/2nd round pick until he unfortunately got cancer. Hes had a lot of time now to fully recover from his illness and could be well worth a flier late in the 5th. If all else fails he would be a great guy to have in the locker room.

Not gonna bother going to do the 6th or 7th round....
  2. acheman

acheman Member

975 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I would take that all day, and twice on Sunday!
  3. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    We trade back 8 spots and only get a 3rd and 5th? Not happening.
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You don't trade top talent for second, third and fifth tier talent.
  5. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    That trade is horribly valued. Trade value chart says it gives New England 150 points. We should be getting the better deal if they want our pick. This is what I came up with.

Dallas gives: 9 and 71 (1585)
    New England gives: 17 and 28 (1610)

17 Could still be Castonzo, 28 could be Aaron Williams. Then, at 40 take Ijalana.
  6. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    I think we all know that thats not going to happen though. We're not going to get 2 1st round picks from NE for just about anything. 1st, 3rd, and 5th puts us somewhere around 200 points shy of 1350. Thats a mid 3rd round pick. Maybe a 1st, 3rd and 4th would have been more appropriate, but there no way in hell any team is going to do your deal. I dont care what that chart says.
  7. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

9,978 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    Maybe #9 for their first (17), second (60), and fourth (125).

or

For their first (17) and second (33).
  8. TheSport78

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    I think Jerry has learned from trading back (see the 09' draft class). It's time to get an OT that scouts are raving about, and who has a ton of upside. Castonzo strictly played LT in college, so how do we know he can step in and play RT from day 1? Smith played RT who has serious potential to play LT.
  9. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    What other 1st round OT played RT? None. Smith only played RT last year because he wasnt the best OT on USC. Smith may have better upside, but thats far from guaranteed. Castonzo is a much better option to start and play from day 1 than Smith.
  10. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

9,978 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received

I agree with you and I seriously hope that after '09 Jerry has learned about "value" and trying to obtain a lot of later round picks. If last year was any indication (moving up for Dez and Sean Lee), he has finally learned his lesson.

FWIW though, I feel like Castonzo will be able to play RT just fine. If he has the feet for LT then he has the feet for RT, and he does. That only leaves the question, 'does he have the bulk and strength to play RT?' I think he has that too.
  11. TheSport78

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    That's just not a true statement.
  12. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,926 Messages
    589 Likes Received
    you can't go wrong picking OL from BC.

unless we are the ones doing the picking
  13. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,813 Messages
    1,601 Likes Received
    That's what I was thinking.
  14. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    yes, yes it is. Khalil is a much better LT than Smith. That's why he was protecting Barkely's blind side.
  15. TheSport78

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Right. That's exactly why Tyron Smith was voted as the nation's best offensive lineman in 2010. But that doesn't even matter. I'll just take your word for it.
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,813 Messages
    1,601 Likes Received
    :spanking:
    That had to hurt
  17. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received

Umm....no. You just made that up actually.

Heres a list of all the official college football awards.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/awards/_/year/2010

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Latest/2010-college-football-award-winners.html

Smith got voted best OL of the Pac-10 by his peers, but the fact of the matter is that he still played RT on a team with a RH QB. If he was by far and away the best even on his team he would have been protecting the blind side, thats just common sense. Matt Kalil is a top 5 pick next year no doubt unless he gets hurt. Check out what walterfootball.com said about him and Smith as they mock Kalil at 3 next year... http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php

Any other smart comments you would like to make before you make yourself look worse though?
  18. TheSport78

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    I wasn't going to respond to this but who cares. I read the award wrong, but at least I'm man enough to admit when I made a mistake, unlike you, who still has given me no reason why the Cowboys shouldn't select Smith at #9.

Oh, Kalil is the reason why Smith stayed at RT? Did you talk to the USC coaches? Did they give you insight information? Give me a break. Get off your highhorse and say you don't know why Smith stayed at RT. Don't make outlandish comments like THE ONLY REASON Smith stayed at RT was because of Kalil.

The days of NEEDING an elite LT is gone. Did you ever think, "Hmm, maybe USC's opponents moved their pass rushers on the weak AND strong side?" I doubt you did. These days, you need interchangable, athletic offensive tackles to fend off those pass rushers and to keep a clean pocket for the QB.

Example: The Week 1 Redskins game last year

Orakpo started out on the weak side and basically got manhandled by Free, so what did Washington do? They moved Orakpo to the strong side against Alex Barron for the REST OF THE GAME. I think we know what happened after that. So don't make it sound like Tyron Smith wasn't "promoted" to LT because he wasn't the best tackle. You really have no idea what you're talking about. Even though being voted by your peers is a great honor, you'll find a way to demean it, because he wasn't good enough to play LT, when you really have no idea. I'd rather get some award wrong, honestly.
  19. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    I wasnt the only 1 who said Kalil was the reason Smith stayed at RT, the well respected draft site was.

And the reason I dont think we should draft Smith at 9 has nothing to do with him. Its my opinion that drafting any RT at 9 is a waste of a pick. We have a solid and relatively young LT in Free, you dont need to waste a top 10 pick on a RT. There are way too many guys capable of doing that. Now, if I were say the Lions sitting at 13 I would pray he fell to me. Just much different scenarios. And theres aslo way too many guys that should be available at 9 that would be starters right away on our shaky D to draft a RT.

Chill out a little though dude, just a little debate on football. Youre taking this way too serious. You took a little shot at me 1st so I fired back. All in good fun though.