1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mocktober

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Chris in Arizona, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,776 Messages
    581 Likes Received
    1 Rahim Moore S 6-1/195 UCLA - Best ballhawk in college. Drafting him improves the FS position and improves CB depth (Alan Ball back to CB).

2 Matt Reynolds T 6-6/322 BYU - BYU linemen are usally mature and accomplished pass blockers. Reynolds is the best one out of BYU I've seen in a while.

3 Jarvis Jenkins DE 6-4/315 Clemson - We have 3 DE's in their last year and Igor only has 2 years left. Jenkins is big and effective against the run.

4 John Moffitt G 6-4/323 Wisconsin - You can never go wrong with Badger linemen. Aaron Gibson doesn't count.

5 Greg McElroy QB 6-2/225 Alabama - His Dad is our VP of Sales so I can see us reaching for him. Kitna could be gone so we will be in the market for a 3rd QB.

6 Brandyn Thompson CB 5-10/180 Boise State - Previously backed up Orlando Scandrick and Kyle Wilson (Jets), this is his first year as the main CB. Good value here.

7 Jake Kirkpatrick C 6-3/305 TCU - Again, good value here. Will battle Phil Costa for reserve C job.

I also think Jerry makes a few moves in Free Agency.
    Logan Mankins G Patriots (that's right, I said it)
    Dawan Landry S Ravens
    Gabe Watson NT Cardinals
    Re-signs Marcus Spears DE and Stephen Bowen DE
  2. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not bad. I get what you are trying to do. I'm willing to go all in on OL early and often to fix this trainwreck. Pulling a Matt Moore on Brewster makes it even more vital.

Your comments on BYU OL. Name em?

Can't go wrong on Wisky OL. Yes we did. Al Johnson.

Like all the guys you picked. Jenkins makes some sense. Always need dept there, but I think ILB could be a bigger need. Zero playmakers is killing us up the middle.

I think you need to rething the need for a 3rd NT.
  3. Chris in Arizona

3,776 Messages
    581 Likes Received
    BYU O Linemen - Travis Bright, Matt's brother Dallas, I think they had another brother, John Tait, ..I can't think of anymore right now.

Dang it! I had completely forgotten about the 2nd rounder wasted on Al Johnson. Thanks for making me remember that!

I don't see any ILB's that I feel can make an impact for us. However, my 2 biggest pet cats in the 2012 draft are Vontaze Burfict (Arizona State) and Manti Te'o (Notre Dame). Both of these kids are absolute monsters.

Last, I still feel we need a massive NT to help against the run and give Ratliff a couple of downs off. Brent has potential but Watson is massive. If the d-line had Watson (6-4/330) and my 3rd rounder Jenkins (6-4/315) playing on obvious run downs, they'd do a better job of sucking up the blocking and letting or LB's make more plays.
  4. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,565 Messages
    2,947 Likes Received
    I'm guessing Te'o is Samoan?

At the risk of sounding insensitive - draft him. Those Samoan guys more often than not can play some football.

I also wholeheartedly agree with your Rahim Moore pick. If he's on the board when we pick, we better take him.
  5. Chris in Arizona

3,776 Messages
    581 Likes Received
    I believe he's Samoan, Hawaiian,and Puerto Rican. Very good player. He was all set to come to USC and changed his mind the morning of Signing day. His mother wanted him to go to a religious school is my understanding. He's Mormon and I guess there's some pressure on him to fulfill his 2-year Mission so there's no telling when he will leave for the NFL.
  6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,643 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    Usually these guys are pushing 30 when they come in the league.

Really, Urbik flamed out in one year with the Steelers.
  7. Chris in Arizona

3,776 Messages
    581 Likes Received

I'm guessing Reynolds will be around 25 coming into the league next year. We rarely play young linemen anyway and his maturity might help him get on the field faster.

As for Wisconsin linemen, no school is exempt from busts. Wisconsin has done a much better job of getting their o-linemen NFL ready than let's say, I dunno, Ball State.
  8. The Realist

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bright, Reynolds, Tait.........

Has BYU put out an offensive linemen of any consequence in the last 10 years?

I'll call it right now. When he comes out he'll be the guy that falls much, much lower than everyone expected. Nothing to see here.

Given our 2-3 year history vs run a NT is the last thing we need. Given we stole Brent in 7 we won't be using any more resources there. Given we have our own free agents to worry about we won't allocate an resources at NT. That would be about the dumbest thing we could do. That is unless we want to make sure Brent never has a chance to develop.
  9. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Im guessing you haven't seen Rahim Moore play this year? Cause if you did you'd know he's having a absolute TERRIBLE year. He had to have gotten burnt at least 10 times this year. Him and Mcdaniel have disappointed. Deunta is the best safety in this class.
  10. Chris in Arizona

3,776 Messages
    581 Likes Received

I don't know about that. I would think the dumbest thing we could do is put our heads in the sand, think that everything is okay, and do close to nothing in the off-season. Wait, we did that last off-season.

If the 3-4 has a weakness, it's against the run up the middle. The offense generally has 5 300-pounders vs the defense's 3 300-pounders and our 2 245-pound ILB's. I've seen too many teams get 4 or 5 years easy running up the middle consistantly against us. A massive nose tackle would help there. I'm not talking about replacing Ratliff or moving him to DE. I'm talking about relieveing Ratliff occasionally and on obvious run downs. Nose tackle is one of the most physical positions in football. Still plenty of reps for Josh Brent.

We'll just have to disagree there.
  11. The Realist

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You could say that about all 22 positions. We just drafted a backup NT. We don't need another.

Still plenty of reps for Brent?

Name another 3rd string NT in the league who gets plenty of reps?
  12. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,846 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I'd take Williams over Moore, but neither in the first round.
  13. Chris in Arizona

3,776 Messages
    581 Likes Received
    Williams hasn't played and even though I'm also high on him, nothing he did last year has me thinking he's better than Moore.

Another poster asked if I've seen Moore play this year. I went to about 10 practices before my move to Arizona and I've seen maybe 3 Bruin games this year. With the exception of the game, where they whipped the no-good Longhorns, the Bruins offense has been awful and the defense was on the field way too long. Still, Moore did a good job of keeping the plays in front of him for the most part and still breaks on the ball better than any DB not named Patrick Peterson I've seen all year.

If we're drafting the first half of the first round that is definitely way too high for Moore. At the time of this mock, I still felt we can turn this thing around and we'd be drafting in the 25-32 range.
  14. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received

That game against Stanford was by far the worst game I've ever seen a safety have this year in college football (that I've watched) and I watch lots of college football. He played DECENT against Houston, then had a disgusting(bad disgusting) showing once again against my school. And I didn't see him play his most recent game. He's just hyped up cause he had one year with 12 picks or whatever he had...plus I think he's going to stay for his sr year.
  15. The Realist

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In Moore's defense the had no experience at CB and on top of that are nicked up there bad. It's so bad that Moore and the other starting S are practicing at CB.
  16. DaBoys4Life

DaBoys4Life Benched

15,621 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'll pass.