1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mockton and Malone: Pick and Roll

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by casmith07, Mar 3, 2011.

1. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,145 Messages
    2,566 Likes Received
    My 2nd Mock. This one will have no trades. We sign Tyson Clabo in free agency to become the starting RT, as well as OJ Atogwe to play Free Safety.

1. Cameron Jordan, DE, California - With Marcus Spears signing elsewhere, Dallas looks to the draft to add an athletic, quicker defensive end capable of playing on either side of the line or sliding inside to DT during nickel situations. An every-down player, Jordan becomes the staple of our front-7 alongside Ratliff for the remainder of Ratliff's career.
    CHURN: Marcus Spears

2. Stefen Wisniewski, OG/C, Penn State - Wisniewski becomes the new swing guard and backup center as Montrae Holland becomes the starter with Leonard Davis being released. While not a world beater, Holland has been more consistent than Davis and improves the position; in the event he or Gurode go down with injury, Wisniewski is good enough to play either position and if not projected as our future center would challenge for the start at RG.
    CHURN: Leonard Davis

3. Deunta Williams, SS, North Carolina - We "reach" a bit early in the 3rd and select Deunta Williams, the best Safety in the draft. The addition of Atogwe in free agency allows us to not pull the trigger of temptation on Rahim Moore in the 2nd, and land us our starting strong safety with Sensabaugh choosing to sign with the Bengals for money. Williams will be spelled by Barry Church, who still shows promise at the position.
    CHURN: Gerald Sensabaugh

4. Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia - after an unfortunate senior season and pulling up lame during his 4.4 40-yard dash at the combine (4.4 with a gimped hammy around the 30-yard marker!), Ras-I Dowling slips to the 4th and we grab him, finding us a new nickel corner that can challenge for the starting spot in the future. Dowling is a good coverage corner with superb tackling ability. With Coach Woicik on board, Dowling properly trains and rehabs his hammy, and if not for the Williams pick, becomes our value pick of the draft.
    CHURN: Alan Ball

5. Henry Hynoski, FB, Pittsburgh - played for Dave Wannstedt in Pittsburgh and is a certified Fullback. No more H-Back's trying to play FB, or Tight Ends trying to play H-Back, or anything; this guy is a bulldozer. Short yardage problems are solved, and just when the defense thinks they've got the gaps plugged, Hynoski is quick for his size and has soft hands to catch the ball out of the backfield. This pick, while possibly considered a "reach" makes Hostile all tingly in the loins.
    CHURN: Chris Gronkowski (sorry, Gronka Truck)

6. Cecil Shorts III, WR, Mount Union - I've highlighted him before...but he's back. Patrick Crayton with wheels and agility. He allows Dez to only be used in situational punt situations, and solves our kick return woes. Not only that, he has the talent to become the #3 Receiver behind Dez and Miles. Another pick that could end up being huge value. Very low bust potential as long as he doesn't suddenly forget how to catch.
    CHURN: Sam Hurd

7. Buster Skrine, CB, UT-Chattanooga - My pet cat, admittedly. Plays the same position my pops did when he was at Chattanooga in the 70s, Skrine brings a can-do attitude with excellent fundamentals and rare speed. Also brings the potential for kick and punt returns, which causes opposing teams headaches on who to kick to when a combination of Dez Bryant, Cecil Shorts, and Busta-Bust are waiting in the wings for the kick in Coach Joe D's creative special teams formations (the dual-punt returner formation comes to mind).
    CHURN: Andrew Sendejo (PS)

There you have it. Tear it up as you please! :p:
  2. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,413 Messages
    550 Likes Received
    Catchy title, good picks, the obligatory Hynoski and Shorts selections, what's not to like???
  3. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,843 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    Theres no more win in a mock than Ras- Dowling in the 4th. He probably will rise to the 3rd after its all said and done

Did you realize every name in this mock is an awesome name?
  4. casmith07

27,145 Messages
    2,566 Likes Received
    I guess it's fair to say I have two pet cats then.

Ras-I Dowling might be the best cornerback in the draft IF he can recover from his injuries and stay healthy. No I am not kidding.
  5. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Love this mock.

The key is the two big assumptions - the two guys we sign in FA. If we do that it opens up the entire draft for us.
  6. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Any changes now that Atogwe is a Redskin?
  7. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,843 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    Yea, WTH, Cas was all aborad the Huff bandwagon w/ most of us
  8. casmith07

27,145 Messages
    2,566 Likes Received
    Michael Huff. We can probably get him for less than what the Skins paid for Atogwe. Let's give Huff 5 years, $19M.
  9. te0002

te0002 Member

820 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I could live w#1 - although I'm on record as Peterson or trade down and I really like #'s 6 & 7 - but not so much #'s 2 & 4

Hoping we can do better in Rd 2 and even though he has a lot of potential (and it is the 4th rd) Dowling's injury history scares me off. But I do agree with your point Woj could do wonders for him, but I still can't pull the trigger in the 4th - later ? Probably, maybe in the 5th and forego the FB.

As for Rd 2 this may be a pipe dream, but I'm hoping Sherrod falls to us. I'm a big fan of the kid from Villanova - but the 2d is to high for him IMO as well as my other "pet cat" the Watkins kid from Baylor.
  10. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like it then, it would go a long way towards filling both short-term and long-term needs. I'm still not sure who I like more at DE though, Jordan or Watt.
  11. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,405 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    I'm starting to think Watt will be better but I'm not against Jordan. What's not to like about Watt really?
  12. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The only thing I wish Watt had is a better closing burst, but I don't really see that in Jordan either.
  13. Cover 2

Cover 2 Pessimists Unite!!!

3,120 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Replace Jordan with Watt and I'm onboard. Although I doubt Skrine lasts to the 7th round, but if he does then that is great for us.
  14. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    MOCKTON and Hornaceck :laugh2:

Love the title!
  15. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,922 Messages
    945 Likes Received
    Another great mock draft thread title! I'm in!
  16. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,550 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    a very solid mock. The only thing I would change would be to switch the 3rd and 4th picks around.