1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mockumental Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheDallasDon, Oct 6, 2012.

1. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,486 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    1.)T.J. McDonald FS, 6-2 205LBS [IMG]
    I know people want Oline but I have been wanting a ballhawking saftey since D.Woodson left, and this may be the guy who can feel that void not only in ballhawking but also hard hitter and leader of the DB. Has good size, speed, quickness, and hips to play saftey to play in the NFL. He does a good job of picking up receivers running deep and seldom ever gets beat in coverage, covers a lot of ground in the deep part of the field. McDonald has the speed to cover tight ends in man-to-man or run with receivers going deep and with Church getting hurt I think we need this.

2.) William Gholston DE, 6-7 280LBS [IMG]
    I know, I know......I skipped Oline again but when a athletic freak and versatile player falls to you, you take him. Just like McDonald he has NFL bloodlines, he is the cousin of Vernon Gholston...but has the heart and desire Vernon never had so this family link should not hurt him.....but his offfield issues will. At 6-7 and 280 pounds Gholston nicknamed "Too Tall"(Cowboys bound) is long, lengthy, fast-twitch athlete who can add maybe 15-30LBS onto his big frame and still keep his explosiveness, with the added wieght he can play the five-technique. Gholston does a solid job of locking his arms out and keeping blockers off his body, which puts him in perfect position to anchor and set the edge against the run. Gholston playes with a relentless attitude and a non-stop motor, and he showes tremendous explosiveness and burst off the edge, racking up five sacks, 13.5 tackles for loss and 70 total takedowns in 2011, But he plays too stiff and needs to develop a better array of pass rush moves, too often relying on his natural tools and not technique. He reminds me of a more athletic Calais Campbell.

3.) Khaled Holmes C, 6-3 305LBS [IMG]
    With the third pick the Cowboys trade back up to the second round to nab Holmes giving up a two 3rd round picks, one this year and next years. Homles would be a much needed upgrade to the Oline. Holmes can move quickly to get in position to pick up blitzers but also has the skills to fire out of stance and double-team defensive tackles with guards. Holmes has nice awareness to pick up pass-rushers, and is quick to the next level of the defense as a run-blocker. He hits blocks on linebackers to help spring his backs for more yardage. Holmes also combo-blocks well with his guards. In the NFL, he would be best as a zone-blocker who can use his speed and athleticism.

4.) Alvin Bailey OG, 6-5 315LBS [IMG]
    got to go trenches back to back or Romo will not make it, Bailey and Holmes should help. Bailey has the size to play RT if the Cowboys decide to drop Free. Bailey is a naturally massive man, he shows impressive quickness off the snap and can knock defenders off the ball in the running game. He's athletic enough to handle blocking on the move - a requirement in an Arkansas scheme that often requires the guards to pull and block at the second level.

5.) Joseph Randle RB, 6-0 200LBS [IMG]
    Cowboys grab a RB from Oklahoma two years in a row, this time from Oklahoma State. Felix is most likely gone next year and has not lived up to his draft status, Randle should take his spot with Tanner and Dunbar fighting for the third. While only weighing 200 Randle looks big and strong out there a leaner-than-ideal frame and there are some questions about his ability to carry the load, but he works well through traffic and shows the balance to stay on his feet after first contact. He's a relentless inside runner. He keeps his feet moving and fights through tackles. He always seems to be falling forward. He has excellent acceleration and wastes little time hitting his second gear through the hole, using his outstanding vision to find room to run both as a rusher and receiver. Randle will be an asset in the passing game. He is a reliable pass blocker and has solid hands out of the backfield. Dangerous in the open field.

6.) Brandon Jenkins OLB, 6-3 260LBS [IMG]
    Jenkins would have been a day 2 and maybe day 1 pick if not for a season ending injury.......his loss and Cowboys gain. Between Jenkins and Wilber I think Butler is gone next year and we could find are future OLB when the HOF Ware is gone. After serving as a back-up as a true freshman, he finished third in the nation in sacks as a sophomore with 13.5, adding 21.5 tackles for loss. Jenkins' production took a dip last season as he finished with 8.0 sacks and 12.0 tackles for loss, but both still led the team. He plays with explosive burst off the snap with a quick first step and acceleration to chase down the action. Jenkins lacks prototypical size and struggles to shed, but plays with violent hand usage and does a nice job manipulating his frame to get past blockers. He needs to improve his leverage and consistently play lower to the ground.
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,377 Messages
    1,248 Likes Received
    Like it but they are still going pass rush first.
  3. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,112 Messages
    1,651 Likes Received
    If we miss the playoffs, blow up the team and do anything you can to get Geno Smith.
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Provided Dallas brings in quality OL during free agency, I could get behind a draft like this.

If Dallas doesn't bring in some quality OL, they'd be brain dead not to take OL at least twice in the first 3 rounds.

If Doug Free doesn't improve dramatically, Dallas will need to invest in another OT at some point.

The odds of getting one outside of the 1st or 2nd rounds who turns into a productive player aren't that great. (I'm looking at Top 50 graded OTs this season and their draft position).
  5. TheDallasDon

2,486 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I would think they go after a Olinemen in FA......but I do have a Oline pick in round 2.
    Free's got the rest of the season to redeem himself, I hope he does because that would make fixing this line easier but I have my doubts
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I think they will go after linemen in free agency as well. I also think it is a mistake. They refuse to draft and build a young quality line.
  7. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,682 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    I agree with this, and it's frustrating as hell.
  8. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,296 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    Do not like Gholston or Holmes. There should be far better players we can get.
  9. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,469 Messages
    3,787 Likes Received
    I sincerely hope there is one or two FA OL worth going after. I think if they do go the FA route you will see them compete. But I don't think they will go after someone who will cost a King's ransom either. Finding really solid OL in FA who don't cost an arm and a leg is not easy though.

If they see a quality OT in the draft I expect them to consider it depending on Free's work the rest of the year and how they feel about Parnell.

If Costa and Cook continue to look good then they will likely not go after a C in the first two rounds.

I think they will be looking at obtaining a G in either FA or the draft but everything depends on how the OL looks the rest of the year. There's a lot of season left.

I also include the FB in blocking and I'm not impressed with Vickers. At all.
  10. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,329 Messages
    742 Likes Received
    Drafting a safety in round 1- no matter what we do in FA would be a major fail

Jenkins falling to round 6 is as likely as Jerry stepping down
  11. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,329 Messages
    742 Likes Received
    I feel this way too

I definitely see us going OLB in round 1..OL in round 2 though
  12. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,469 Messages
    3,787 Likes Received
    I think they will go pass rusher 1-2 and I wouldn't rule out a DE depending on how Crawford does. But my guess is it will likely be OLB if possible and that depends on whether they resign Spencer and how the present OLBs do the rest of the year. I haven't completely given up on Butler. I just think he belongs on the other side with Ware.

My guess is we will look for a C/G in round two-four probably 2.

Right now, and this could easily change by the end of the year, I'd say this is the needs:

pass rusher- OLB first then DE
    interior OL
    OT
    DB- safety way first
  13. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,296 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    It all depends on free agency. There are several good safties this year. McDonald isn't even the best one. I hope we get Loadholt and Levitre in free agency that way all we need to do is draft a OG to play RG. There are several good OGs in this draft as well. I want to see jerry trade back in the first to stock pile 2nds and 3rds only if there isnt a play maker there with our first round pick. We can get good quality DL amd OL and safety in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. If there isn't a Ware, Watt, or Reed available when we pick in the first then trqde back.

We need a NT, DE, Safety, two OGs, a center, a RT and a OLB. Looking at center Barrett Jones is the only one i like now. Cook hasnt been great but he hasn't been bad or the issue with this OL.

I really like Kawan Short as a 3-4 DE and Slyvester Williams as a NT.
    Warmack and cooper are the two best OGs but Dallas Thomas, Warfold, and Federick as OGs. Shawn Williams and Vacarro are my two favorite safties.
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    With the shortage of quality olineman in the league, teams are keeping the best linemen and the ones that hit free agency are usually overpayed for the quality player that they are.
  15. TheDallasDon

2,486 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Should a upgrade at any spot be skipped just because your good in that position already?

I would think if its a major upgrade then they would at least have to think about it.
  16. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,682 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    You hear the so-called experts say this a lot, and in the next breath they're telling you you can get quality interior guys later in the draft. Which is it? My opinion, if you want talent at C or OG, you draft it when it's available. Select some big uglies early in the draft, and voila! Your team suddenly doesn't have a shortage of quality OL anymore.