1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Momentum builds for a Redskins name change, and one man can make it happen

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by joseephuss, Feb 11, 2013.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,963 Messages
    1,537 Likes Received
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-name-change-and-one-man-can-make-it-happen/

Momentum builds for a Redskins name change, and one man can make it happen

It was mentioned in today’s one-liners, but the topic demands an article of its own.

The NFL franchise assigned to Washington, D.C., has a name that is both racist and offensive. Most Americans have become desensitized to that fact. But it is a fact.

And the time has come for the name to change.

Last Friday, Mike Wise of the Washington Post pressed Commissioner Roger Goodell on the topic, during Goodell’s annual pre-Super Bowl press conference. (It’s often called the “State of the League” press conference, but at any given moment the “State of the League” can be summarized thusly: (1) we’re really rich; (2) we’re really popular; and (3) we do what we want.)

Goodell provided a non-answer that produced the faint sound of tap shoes. “I don’t think anybody wants to offend anybody,” Goodell ultimately said.

Nobody may want to offend anybody, but the name offends plenty. Even if few notice.

“I think when people say Redskins we hear cup or bedspread,” Wise said at a Thursday symposium conducted by the National Museum of the American Indian, via WUSA9.com. “The sound is the same, but when you go to the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota that name is equivalent to the ‘N’ word.”

Wise, with whom we’ve disagreed a time or two in the past, is right on this one. It’s an offensive name. And we’re all numb to it.
  2. Sonny#9

Sonny#9 Well-Known Member

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Can we just repost all of the arguments that have been posted about this topic over and over and over again and save a lot of people a lot of time?

This is a tired topic that comes up every offseason and every offseason the name stays. Some people find it offensive, some don't. It doesn't change the fact that it isn't going anywhere.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    frankly we need a bounty on the politically correct.
  4. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,964 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    Before I say be careful and don't get political ----from a saints football point of view ,I agree with Burm.
  5. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    The name doesn't offense me personally, but I can sure as hell see how it would offend a native American in a HUGE way.

It really should be changed tbh. If they can change the "Washington Bullets" they can sure as hell change the Redskins.

They can keep it within the theme but under a new name. Washington Tribe or something similar.

In the end, I'm gonna hate them either way so I guess it doesn't matter (from my point of view anyway).
  6. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,684 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    .......How much time did you waste stopping by to post a thought? Not too tired, huh?

:muttley:
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    It's interesting. Over the years, I have asked a lot of Native American Indians local to this part of the country about this. Lot's of Native Americans are Redskin fans and I've had conversations with them on this. I've found very few, at least around here, who were offended. Maybe it is offensive but I, personally, have not seen a great deal of support to that point.

IDK
  8. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Well-Known Member

1,050 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    I'd like to know the percentage of Native Americans that take offence...if most do, change it. Still it's going to be hard to stop referring to an NFL classic rivalry as "Cowboys and Indians."

Kind of seems like asking for permission: ethnic mascots like the Fighting Irish or Vikings are OK with those groups.
  9. Sonny#9

Sonny#9 Well-Known Member

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    The etymology of the word "Redskin" starts in the 1800's -- and it was a term of honor and distinction. Sometime in the 1970's it was deemed offensive.

There are definitely some who find it offensive -- however, there is a HS in Red Mesa, AZ that changed their name to Redskins b/c they found it honoring. It's not a cut and dry case.

The reason I believe that it isn't going anywhere is the plaintiffs have to establish how it is injurious. That will be really difficult to prove.
  10. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,408 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I recall a survey among Native Americans done rather recently where it was 90% or so that were not offended.
  11. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    The RG3 worship has risen to new levels of stupidity. One man can change the name? It sure as hell isn't RG3. Danny boy is the man. Next week, there will be reports of RG3 walking on water and healing the sick with his touch. I am sick of this guy already. Dumb article by a dumb writer.
  12. SkinsandTerps

7,408 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    The one man is RG. Roger Goodell.

:laugh2:
  13. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,493 Messages
    595 Likes Received
    I didn't see anything wrong with the Bullets, and I don't see anything really wrong with Redskins, frankly. But since they ARE Washington teams, then by all means, make 'em change :D
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,572 Messages
    2,434 Likes Received
    How about the Taxmen. Nothing is scarier than that.
  15. SkinsandTerps

7,408 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I do agree about the Bullets. I still call them that from time to time.

I think they should go with Red Tape.
    Said it for years on forums like this.
  16. koolaid

koolaid Drink Me

1,768 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Not a Native American myself, but I can understand why it would be considered offensive.

If the North Dakota Fighting Sioux offends enough people to have the name changed, I would think Redskins would offend even more people.

I know a Native American who gets really upset about the names being racist.
  17. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,775 Messages
    10,064 Likes Received
    So....you may not know it, but you're offended by that term.

I didn't realize something like that could be factual. Who gets to determine what offends everybody?

That's their problem. Get over it.

Common sense tells you nobody would name their football team something they find offensive. That is not their intention. Which is all that should really matter.

Enough of appeasing those looking to be a victim of something. The Washington Redskins don't take the field to offend anyone. If their attempt to honor Native Americans rubs you the wrong way, deal with it. Maybe grow up and not give so much power to a word. Maybe the problem is you and not them.
  18. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Well-Known Member

1,011 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    I really wonder what is driving this crusade to get the name changed, because it clearly isn't Native Americans. Here is a comment made on the very article linked to this thread:

"I’ve never met Mr. Florio before, but I wish he would interview Elders from the many Nations across the country. Talk to the members of those Nations and we would tell him like we have told the Supreme Court, newspapers, pollsters, and other surveyors, that we are NOT offended by the name Redskins. Please stop saying its offensive.

I’m one of the people you think is offended by the team’s name or the logo on the helmet. What would anger me more is to see the likeness of the warriors of old removed from the helmet. As a boy it was the team I was drawn to and is the team when presented with the other team helmets. Many Nation members are drawn to it, and to add a bow on top, it’s rival are the Cowboys. It’s sport, its fun, and it’s insulting for you to tell me what I should be insulted over, when the name and logo are held in high regard amongst my friends and family. I understand that some are put out by it, but an overwhelmingly majority love the logo and name.

RG3 please do not come against the name, and please keep that Brave on your helmet!"
  19. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.......and your knowledge of football and the Cowboys is excellent IMO. However, you are WAY off base here and I'll tell you why. I have close friends in the Chippewa tribe here in Michigan and we had this exact discussion a while back. They say "redskin" is like the 'N' word to them which I found hard to believe.

So I looked online and it turns out Native American Indians agree. I've attached an article on a symposium that took place on the subject. There is a man that felt the same way you do before he got educated and had a complete change of heart. Read, learn and re-think your position:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...shington-redskins-team-name-mascots-symposium
  20. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

......which can be expected from all the washington fan boys. Face reality brah, the name WILL be changed: it isn't a question of if, but when it happens. I think they should go with FORESKINS......the mascot would be a riot......very appropriate for a team owned by Snyder, don't you think?:laugh2: