1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Momentum builds for a Redskins name change, and one man can make it happen

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by joseephuss, Feb 11, 2013.

1. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,368 Messages
    570 Likes Received

who gets to decide what is racist and declare it as fact?
  2. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Well-Known Member

1,011 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    Offensive on a couple of levels - all their games would be blacked out.
  3. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

1,011 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    Is part of this the constantly-changing politically-correct name for a group of people.

For example, the Intuit were know as the Eskimo....there were several other names for African-Americans that are no longer proper.

So is "Redskins" one of those names that was political-correct, but not now?
  4. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

24,719 Messages
    999 Likes Received
    In New York. The St. John's Red Men was changed to Red Storm.
  5. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

860 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    To me some people just look for reasons to be offended/slighted, and other's don't.
  6. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Member

247 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    You are absolutely correct. I truly believe some people just want their faces in the limelight.

This is tantamount to that superbowl VW commercial the guy talking like a Jamaican. Some moron wanted to get it banned, thank God VW, and Coke (the arab guy on a camel) stuck to their guns.
    Anyway.....the Jamaican minister said he wasn't offended in the slightest..in fact he welcomed it, said everyone should be jamaican when they visit....
  7. DallasJ7

DallasJ7 Active Member

506 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    It's long past time to change the Redskins, and I wouldn't consider myself politically correct at all. It's not about that - it's about decency and getting rid of a double standard. It is more or less the equivalent of calling a team the Wetbacks (I hope that's okay in context, mods) or being generous, the Negroes (for many Native Americans, it is as offensive as the n-word). I've spoken with a number of Native Americans about this, and while a couple didn't have much of a problem, most of them were definitely bothered by it.

And if even you feel the term redskin isn't an offensive epithet, another thing about this issue that really bothers many Natives is that they are the only ethnic group for which it is considered acceptable to have a mascot. You'd never have a team called the African-Americans/Jews/Pacific-Islanders, or some equivalent. The closest I can think of is the Fighting Irish, which is kind of a special case, and more of a nationality than ethnicity.
  8. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,673 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    How is the Chiefs not offensive too? What is next? animal activists going after teams like the Eagles and Cardinals and Falcons because their logos look too mean?
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    you are politically correct. Your whole post shows that
  10. slaga

slaga Member

214 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    There are the Vikings, Celtics, Chiefs, Braves, Indians, Warriors, Edmonton Eskimos, Brooklyn Redmen, Seminoles, Choctaws, etc.

There is a whole list of them here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports_team_names_and_mascots_derived_from_indigenous_peoples

If you look at high schools, you have the Mohicans, Aztecs, among others.
  11. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,368 Messages
    570 Likes Received
    i want to find some tall people that find the NY GIants name offensive and force the team to change it and see how far that goes?

no one complains and whines like NY to get their way.
  12. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I am Celtic. Now that I think about it, I'm offended.

Actually, I'm Anglo-Celtic, but I might as well look for a reason to be offended like so many others.
  13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    I think the idea is that Redskin is offensive and other names aren't. Whether or not you agree with it is up to you, but surely you can understand why someone might see the difference between the two?
  14. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,673 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    Someone can be offended by just about anything. Some atheist of my fellow atheists are pretty much offended by the mention of God or uses of the Bible to verify actions.
  15. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,881 Messages
    1,829 Likes Received
    I belong to the Wichita tribe and I don't find it offensive, but I can see how it is offensive. With that said, our people have more pressing issues than the name of an NFL team.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    the fact that the politically correct tend to waste times on trivial matters is just another reason to ignore them
  17. Sonny#9

Sonny#9 Well-Known Member

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    It really says something when Cowboys fans are defending the Redskins...
  18. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

860 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    Well, both franchises have been shafted by Mara and Goddell recently, and have not been in the SB for the better part of 2 decades...
  19. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received

Meh. I hate em regardless, they just swept us this year and sent us home crying in our cereal. That name is iconic, but if the people who inspired it so long ago are genuinely offended...why not change it? Only if the majority are truly offended tho. Otherwise, let it be.
  20. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

1,011 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    We have discussed what we think the Native American thinks.

Is there a forum of Native Americans discussing what they think about this?