1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Momentum builds for a Redskins name change, and one man can make it happen

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by joseephuss, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    They changed the name of the Washington Bullets? Why? To what? Not a basketball fan as you can tell.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,534 Messages
    8,480 Likes Received
    They said it was too violent.

That's the world we live in today.

They are now the Washington Wizards.
  3. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,442 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    Didnt that happen sometime around, or shortly after, or before the Gilbert A. thing where he had a gun in the locker room or something?
  4. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

997 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    The late owner, Abe Pollin, thought it was too violent and submitted to the small, vocal minority that wanted it changed. It happened a year or two after he built their arena inside D.C. Chris Webber was still playing for the team at that time. The old arena was actually less than a mile away from where FedEx Field is.
  5. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,399 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Several years prior to that. I think it was '97/ Arenas wasn't even on the tem at that point.

At the time DC was the murder capital of the world.
    The former owner have a person friend that was murdered so that fueled it.
  6. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

648 Messages
    34 Likes Received

The name Eskimo that is used for the Inuit is not consider racist at least not in Alaska but maybe it is in Canada. Racism comes into play when Eskimo is used to refer to all Alaskan native people, when there is no effort to differentiate between the different groups.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,676 Messages
    1,617 Likes Received
    this racist BS is all too often just that. For example a product of our increasingly crappy education system might think that there are nothing else but Eskimos in Alaska.
  8. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,347 Messages
    2,162 Likes Received
    I like what Thomas Paine has to say about this type of thinking. It's absolutely one of my favorite quotes and coincidentally is found in an essay titled Common Sense.

Things change and as time goes by and demographics change. If it happens every offseason and does not go away that should tell you something.
  9. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,386 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    I'm not PC at all, but I think the problem is that "Redskin" is more of a slur than praise. When I hear it, I think of old Westerns were some guys screams about those "dirty injuns scalpin the poor frontier folk". Warriors, Braves and Chiefs to me represent the fighting spirit with pride and honor. Redskin is more in line with Cracker, Darkie or Wetback, which would never be allowed.
  10. Sonny#9

Sonny#9 Well-Known Member

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    That's a great point. Name still isn't changing.
  11. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,347 Messages
    2,162 Likes Received
    Maybe, maybe not but time ticks for a long, long time. Posture about an unknown future if it makes you feel better though.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    To be honest, I'm shocked Snyder hasn't changed the name just for the merchandise sales alone.

Sure, there'd likely be some who are pissed off but people come and go. Few years down the line, or a couple winning seasons, nobody would care.
  13. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,729 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    I don't see the problem. Keep the name and move on.
  14. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,761 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    if it did get changed, i wonder what they would change it to.....if they do change it, but do it in a smart way, they could keep their logo and everything...

Washington Tribe
    Washington Braves
    Washington Tomahawks

or pick a tribe that was prominent in the DC area.....
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,676 Messages
    1,617 Likes Received
    people that think there is a problem that needs solving that involves the NAME OF A SPORTS TEAM

ARE MORONS
  16. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,470 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    It won't be the Braves for sure. There isn't a single professional sports team in the USA that shares it's team name with another professional team. They'd likely pick a local Native American tride like the Washington Iroquois or go with the tribe/warriors etc.
  17. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,399 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    The Giants and would certainly disagree with that...Cardinals perhaps as well ?

Hmmm...
  18. III

III New Member

7 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As a Blackfoot I find the name "Cowboys" offensive!

:explode:
  19. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,589 Messages
    650 Likes Received
    So is Redskin the equivilant of calling a white person a hick, a mexican a spic and a black person the n word?

If so..damn that is offensive.
  20. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,386 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    I'm pretty certain that the original name of the franchise was the Boston Braves. They started playing games at Fenway Park and changed the name to the Redskins to sound similar to the Red Sox of baseball, who they shared Fenway with. A name change back to the original name wouldn't be a terrible move.