1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Momentum builds for a Redskins name change, and one man can make it happen

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by joseephuss, Feb 11, 2013.

1. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,008 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Washington RG3's.
  2. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If the Redskins change their name, I'd imagine afterwards there is going to be a long line of people with their hands out - wanting to cash in.

I almost want the Redskins to change their name just so we don't have to hear about it anymore. I'm not referring to the Native Americans themselves (they have every right to take issue with the name). I can see why they would be offended by the name. It's the politically correct right wing media that annoys me.

Change the logo for Native Americans, but give the finger to everyone else. How do you do that?

Put a picture of a Devil on the helmet, and there you go, ladies and gentlemen, the new Washington Redskins:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  3. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If they have to change the name, they might want to get away from the Native American thing all together. These groups are targeting all of the teams using Native Americans as their logo - the Redskins are at the very top.

After the Redskins are forced to change their name, the Cleveland Indians, Boston Braves, and all other teams using Indians in their logos will be targeted next.
  4. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    2,343 Likes Received
    If you are so weak, so poorly spined, so inarticulately incapable of standing on the your own volition and actions, that you have to wrap your emotions in such a meaningless, unintentional, empty "issue", I suspect you are the type of person that can't manage to set your alarm clock, show up for work or school, and carry out your responsibilities as a self-sufficient citizen.

Such a sad sect of our society that needs these idiotic distractions to help them avoid looking in the mirror and dealing with the failure they see looking back.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,808 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    pretty hard.

But completely agree
  6. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,417 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    Never heard of the media being called right wing and PC before.

Originally Posted by erod [IMG]
    If you are so weak, so poorly spined, so inarticulately incapable of standing on the your own volition and actions, that you have to wrap your emotions in such a meaningless, unintentional, empty "issue", I suspect you are the type of person that can't manage to set your alarm clock, show up for work or school, and carry out your responsibilities as a self-sufficient citizen.

Such a sad sect of our society that needs these idiotic distractions to help them avoid looking in the mirror and dealing with the failure they see looking back.

So you either think that the name isn't offensive at all or that it is, but those offended should just shut up about it. I think it takes more of a spine to stand up for something or someone that is being wronged than to just look the other way.
  7. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    2,343 Likes Received
    I'm saying that if someone is offended by this, they are simply soft. They are part of that growing group of victim-card players that is defining our nation today.

There was no intent in the name. If they think it was meant as a racial epithet, they need to grow up and learn to stand on their own two feet.

The Rooney Rule is offensive. Affirmative Action is offensive, because it infers an inferiority that isn't there.

This is merely longtime mascot name that was never meant to inflame racial hatred. If that were so, why on earth would have chosen it to call THEMSELVES?
  8. bkight13

2,417 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    You are the one trying to create something bigger out of this, some social commentary on the fall of America. The name "Redskin" is a racial epithet, meant to insult someone. It is not that big of deal to change the name. Franchises change their names all the time. The original name of the franchise was the Boston Braves, so it wasn't always the Redskins. I think names like the Braves, Chiefs, Warriors, Tribe or a specific tribe are respectful and honor the fighting spirit of those people. This one is just a slur.
  9. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think there are both left wing "radicals" and right wing "sociopaths" representing in the media - that last post was mostly tongue in cheek, however. :p On a serious Note: I don't think the right-wing portion of the media would be happy if the Redskins made their logo a Devil ;)

If you are having trouble noticing right-wing politically correctness, think "freedom-fries". :)

In any case, I don't want to turn this into a political discussion - I admit I was the one who brought up politics, and for that I apologize :p

/Amish ducks.
  10. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Come to think of it, a devil is likely a more fitting mascot for Washington DC than an Indian.

Especially for the owner...

[IMG]

[IMG]

hmm... The Washington Illuminati?
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,808 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    so are you an Indian? because frankly they are the only ones that have a right to say anything. You state an opinion as fact. Not surprising for another one of the PC crew.
  12. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    2,343 Likes Received
    So you're saying that, once upon a time, the ownership got together and said, "Let's think of a name that will really hack off native Americans!"

Wrong.

This is the kind of PC gibberish that distracts people from much more difficult issues to resolve. When you want to distract from unemployment, you talk about gay rights. When you don't want to talk about the impossible deficit, you talk about healthcare.

This is but another way to distract attention from the REAL issues of minority communities in the country. It has nothing to do with an innocuous mascot name of a football team.
  13. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,619 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    A restaurant chain up here has changed the name of its signature beer from the Albino Rhino because a black albino brought a human rights complaint saying it was hurtful and that albinos have rights too.

I figure someone will be offended no matter what one says or does.
  14. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Redskins have one of the most politically incorrect sports names; I don't think that's a secret, that being said, let's have some fun with other names in the division:

Giants - The term is rarely used to describe people who are tall. It is used to describe people who are abnormally tall - and in most cases describes people who have the disorder: Gigantism: development to abnormally large size. Most people with this disease die at a young age. In U.S. history there are about 100 cases. It is not transmitted through genes as far as studies have shown, it appears to be a random anomaly. But just imagine if there was a team name that describe another illness: Dwarfism. Team name: Midgets. That certainly wouldn't go over well in today's society.

Cowboys - A more politically correct name would be "Cowpeople".
    If woman ever join the NFL, or if they become just as physically talented as males are (let's face it, advancements in technology, diets and physical education could all contribute to this). Mark my words, there will one day be a female that gets considered for the NFL -- if history hasn't taught us that. This could become an issue. Let's hit the rewind button, and go back to a little over a hundred years ago... when there was the popular misconception that, African Americans weren't as good as Caucasians. Thus, there were very few African Americans in the NFL (in fact, each team had a limit). The popular consensus in regards to sex is - at least today, males are more physically superior to woman - and that a female could never make it in the NFL. the Cow "boys" might have a problem on their hands, in the future, when females start entering the NFL, and like I said before, it's going to happen eventually. http://regator.com/p/129998807/dallas_cowboys_somehow_make_barbie_dolls_even_more/

Eagles - Bald eagles almost became extinct because of an DDT out break that poisoned the water - eagles eat fish (it is their main food source) therefore, eagles were getting poisoned on a regular basis. They wouldn't die but when it came time to lay eggs, the shells were becoming so fragile that they would break easily. As a result, they were very easily hunted.
    Nonetheless, the topic is very sensitive to animal lovers around the world; therefore, many people could interpret a team being named after a controversial topic as offensive, or making light of the issue.

Now it's your turn (let's have some fun with this). I'm sure there are many other team names that people are offended by (the Buffalo Bills comes to mind):
  15. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    Lol dont know how I missed that. I stand corrected.I recommended warriors, forgot about golden state as well.
  16. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    If there's no malicious intent behind using the term, then maybe that helps things. If I mean to say, "Tout casse" to someone but accidentally say, "Casse-toi" instead only because my French is bad, I think they'd be understanding.
  17. CitySlicker202

CitySlicker202 Member

92 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be opposed to a name change personally. Or quite simply, removing the face from the helmet allowing the name "Redskins" to symbolize our team colors so to speak.
  18. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,514 Messages
    9,683 Likes Received
    It would be a terrible decision. What a bad precedent that would set.

I stand beside those feather wearing flitboys on this. They are the Washington Redskins.
  19. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    What's the precedent?

If you have a questionable team name that you can change it under the guise of appeasing people when your real motive is cash?

How many teams would that apply to throughout the league? Just about none so there would be no precedent.
  20. bkight13

2,417 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    I've told you and your buddy, erod, that I'm the farthest thing from PC. I voted for both Bushes and left the GOP for the Tea Party because they are just Democrats in sheep's clothing. I don't know why, but you refuse to acknowledge that Redskins is a racial slur. White men in the 30's didn't sit around and try to come up with an offensive name, they just didn't care enough to even think about it. Changing the name of football team doesn't mean the terrorists are gonna win.