1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Momentum builds for a Redskins name change, and one man can make it happen

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by joseephuss, Feb 11, 2013.

1. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,726 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Who are you to tell people how they should respond to a pejorative? I am native american and my friends and family members use the word redskin often amongst themselves. However, like the N word among african americans, we would kick your teeth in if a non-native used it towards us.

So if you think I am soft because I find your ignorance offensive then we can always designate a time and place to find out.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,845 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received
    FUNNY how you keep sounding PC on this subject. So frankly I reject your claim to not be

and once again why should anyone really think this is important enough to waste time on?
  3. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Well-Known Member

1,010 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    As a Native American, do you think the name should be changed? And if so, what similarly themed names would be a good alternative that could result in them keeping the colors and/or helmet logo?
  4. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,417 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    What's funny is how upset this subject has made you. I guess you would've been against a woman's right to vote and still consider blacks to be 3/5 a person. Some things are not Politically Correct, they are just Correct. The failure to see the difference is on you.
  5. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,216 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    I think the Washington Americans. After all aren't Native Americans one of the truest forms of American? The Braves would be great if it weren't for Atlanta. I guess Washington could save everybody a lot of trouble and go with the Washington Squaws.
  6. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Personally, I hate when US citizens call ourselves Americans. Petty, but every person that lives on North or South American Continents have claim to be "American" and always seemed arrogant to give ourselves that title.

(has no bearing on the topic at hand, just venting a personal pet peeve)
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,671 Messages
    9,900 Likes Received
    The precedent would be appeasing a bunch of whining babies and changing tradition.
  8. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Well-Known Member

1,041 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    ...from the "what if NFL teams had British logos?"

[IMG]

Notice that "Redskin" looks like Gandhi?
  9. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,450 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    It never ceases to amaze me how some people seem to look for reasons to be offended. There is no doubt that the name was not intended to be offensive to anyone. If anything it was most likely adapted to make their team sound fierce and tenacious, which is what many Indian tribes were in defending their land.

I live in Oklahoma, which if you have any knowledge of history at all is full of Indians. In fact I would say that pretty much every Oklahoman has some degree of Indian blood (likely including me). If you go around looking for something to be offended by you will probably find it. I think political correctness should be replaced by a quest to get a little bit tougher skin so that people aren't offended by anything and everything.
  10. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,450 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Where did he say that? I don't know about anyone else here, but I do not think your argument is anywhere near the same ball park as what is being discussed.
  11. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,812 Messages
    136 Likes Received

NY Giants / SF Giants
    Winnipeg Jets / NY Jets (I know Winnipeg is Canada, but the NHL is mostly in the US now)
    St. Louis Cardinals / Arizona Cardinals
    LA Kings / Sacramento Kings