1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Moore: Rival 49ers’ berth in Super Bowl has got to gall Cowboys fans… and it may get

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Feb 3, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,500 Messages
    3,807 Likes Received
    http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...-gall-cowboys-fans-and-it-may-get-worse.html/

NEW ORLEANS — San Francisco is back. The Cowboys’ fiercest rival from the 1990s has returned to prominence. A win over Baltimore on Sunday evening in Super Bowl XLVII would allow the 49ers to break their tie with Dallas and join Pittsburgh with six titles as the league’s most successful franchises.

That’s got to hurt. “I can remain professional and say no, but why do that?” Cowboys Hall of Fame receiver Michael Irvin said. “Absolutely it does.”

Eleven NFC franchises have appeared in the Super Bowl since the Cowboys last took home the Lombardi Trophy on Jan. 28, 1996. Perhaps the only solace found at Valley Ranch was that San Francisco had also fallen off the competitive map.

The absence of the Cowboys and 49ers made it a little easier to rationalize that all, proud franchises must spend some time in the valley before they return to the mountain top. That excuse is no longer available to the Cowboys.

Here’s another sobering thought: Not only are the 49ers appreciably better than the Cowboys, they appear built to stay. Only five players who will start in Sunday’s game are in their 30s.
  2. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,069 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    Very good article... This will be a very frustrating Superbowl to watch. The 49ers are completely loaded!
  3. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    They are loaded. They are much like the 90's Cowboys with the oline and running game. They a a physical, fast team with a bright future. I like the team they have put together and the way they play the game.

Dallas could have the same type of team if their priorities were different.
  4. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    Go Ravens.
  5. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,069 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    Exactly... Could be seeing a Dynasty in the making.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,587 Messages
    1,555 Likes Received
    The only reason they are there and we are here is Jerruh. I hope someone points that out to him. And reminds him of that all day long.
  7. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,450 Messages
    2,060 Likes Received
    They can't be in the SB because of good personnel or good coaching

It has to be one of

Pure luck
    The ball bounced their way
    The NFL is cyclical and it was just their turn

I am sure it is one of these, just can't put my finger on which one

Maybe one of the more knowledgable posters on the site can help
  8. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,819 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    It's like the 1980's all over again. Very frustrating.
  9. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,235 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    no they are there because of their own merit. We are home because of lack of execution on our team, Jerry is not at fault.
  10. burmafrd

41,587 Messages
    1,555 Likes Received
    you forget the sarcasm emoticon
  11. jobberone

37,500 Messages
    3,807 Likes Received
    Unfortunately this thread is about SF being in the SB which means maybe another Lombardi which is difficult for me to consider. Hopefully we won't turn this into another bash Jerry thread.

I do believe the overall level of talent on their squad vs ours is legitimate.

I'm sure they're happy with Harbaugh but I've wondered how well Singletary would have done with more time.
  12. burmafrd

41,587 Messages
    1,555 Likes Received
    everything I have heard about Singletary is that he is just not HC material.
  13. jobberone

37,500 Messages
    3,807 Likes Received
    I don't really know. I suspect he had something to do with the culture of that club. I don't know how much credit to give Harbaugh but a significant amount. I don't give him all the credit.
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I think he is the reason that they are the smash-mouth, physical team that they are now.
  15. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,720 Messages
    1,273 Likes Received
    Maybe. I feel like Harbaugh maybe gets TOO much credit though. For 3-4 years leading up to last season, everyone talked about how 'this could be the 49ers year' because they had obvious talent... mostly from sucking for so long and getting high draft picks.

The guys Harbaugh picked up weren't all that impressive last night. Harbaugh's marquee guy, Aldon Smith, seemed rather invisible last night also. Kaepernick seemed in over his head (but not his fault really), Culliver made more mistakes than good plays, etc.

He seems like a good HC, but I think he may get too much credit in some areas.
  16. burmafrd

41,587 Messages
    1,555 Likes Received
    hard to over state what they have done the last two years under him though; they showed nothing compared to that under Singletary.
  17. December90

December90 New Member

18 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I hope you are right...

I would love for the NFL powers from the 80's to return to prominence again.

Regarding Singletary, ask yourself this question. How many Hall of Fame players make even halfway decent coaches? I can only think of a couple (Ditka was a great player and coach) but for the most part the best coaches either didn't play the game, or were not very good at it when they did play.
  18. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,994 Messages
    717 Likes Received
    Doubt there will be a strike this time.
  19. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Lol, what? Nobody said that. What they said was that they had a good defense but no QB because Alex Smith couldn't play and was a huge bust.
  20. December90

December90 New Member

18 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I knew there would be a catch...

Also, don't be surprise when the current CBA expires if there is a strike with Both Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder coming out on the Players side after the Salary Cap penaltyfor overspending a non-existant salary cap.

Mara gave the players a bunch of ammo to not trust the owners to honor their agreements (as they have admitting to having an illegal "gentlemens agreement" to not honor the "Poison Pill" in the last CBA of the "uncapped" year.)