More concerned with linebackers

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Galian Beast, Aug 5, 2014.

1. cowboyblue22

cowboyblue22 Well-Known Member

1,991 Messages
    1,094 Likes Received
    no
    I think the eagles win it
    and Washington is second and cowboys and giants third and fourth
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

32,123 Messages
    32,556 Likes Received
    The LB group could be really bad but no way is our DL fine and this is the biggest issue. Not a chance.
    CyberB0b likes this.
  3. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,703 Messages
    2,135 Likes Received
    This is exactly what you don't want.

Man, I miss Madden.
  4. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Village Idiot

6,327 Messages
    3,802 Likes Received
    Our linebackers suck, but our defensive line is the worst in the league by a mile.
    Risen Star likes this.
  5. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

8,580 Messages
    4,491 Likes Received
    This team is terribly thin on talent on defense for sure.

The defensive line has a chance to be a surprising plus. If they can stay healthy, I think the rotation attack is really going to help, especially down the stretch. However, even with all the added bodies, we are still just as thin there as last year really.

Linebackers I am not worried about because, although we don't have any top flight starters, we have a ton of depth, particularly if McClain decides he is committed to football. With several guys being able to swing between positions, Wilber looking very good, McClain in the fold and Holloman continuing to progress, we are at least two deep at every LB position.

Defensive backs to me are the make or break position. Not only that, I expect them to be boom or bust from week to week. All three of our cornerbacks have the potential to be good, not great, but also have shown some flashes of being outright terrible. Safety is still ugly, even with Church being the best DB on the team and quite possibly the best defender.
    Carharris2 likes this.
  6. ccb04

ccb04 Well-Known Member

649 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    IMO, Holloman can be a very good coverage LB. He made a play deeper down the field in the scrimmage...breaking up a pass in the end zone intended for a WR, IIRC. It was an impressive play. He seemingly has a nose for the ball, and also has a background at safety. He simply needs to keep seeing the field to gain game experience. Carter has shown well in coverage at times...and has all of the physical attributes needed to make that a solid point to his game.

I think Holloman, Carter, and possibly even Church at times...could wind up seeing most of the duties at nickel LB'er.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

40,008 Messages
    18,263 Likes Received
    There's a reason why our team was one of the worst in the league defensively the last few years. Actually, there are a lot of them. It's not exactly a mystery. We've got a really weak front-seven.
  8. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

8,580 Messages
    4,491 Likes Received
    I don't think you'll be seeing much of Carter in the nickel.

As for Holloman, that was an impressive play, no doubt, but taking that much depth opens up the intermediate middle, which is where we got murdered last season. Obviously we don't know the play call. Just playing devil's advocate.
  9. ccb04

ccb04 Well-Known Member

649 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    I do think Carter could be involved in the nickel. According to camp reports (FWIW)...Carter has been pretty solid in coverage & working in the nickel. But they've of course been evaluating various combos. We'll have to see how it shakes out.

The impressive part to me was that he was able to gain that much depth in trail, and be in great position to make the play. I can recall seeing Urlacher make similar plays in the same scheme. We certainly have no way of knowing what was called. No doubt they've been murdered over the middle.
  10. cowboyblue22

cowboyblue22 Well-Known Member

1,991 Messages
    1,094 Likes Received
    im worried about the whole defense heard nate on talking cowboys today and he talked about how bad this defense really is
  11. manster4ever

manster4ever Well-Known Member

2,005 Messages
    695 Likes Received
    correct
  12. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

2,986 Messages
    2,230 Likes Received
    Look at the bright side. All it will take to improve this defense is move up to the 31st ranked defense in the league.
  13. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

5,189 Messages
    2,451 Likes Received
    yes sir corner backs
  14. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

5,189 Messages
    2,451 Likes Received
    Defensive backs to me are the make or break position,yes
  15. RonSpringsdaman20

RonSpringsdaman20 Hold The Door! Zone Supporter

9,577 Messages
    3,740 Likes Received
    pretty much....
  16. RonSpringsdaman20

RonSpringsdaman20 Hold The Door! Zone Supporter

9,577 Messages
    3,740 Likes Received
    I think this thread has covered concerns with the LB's, DL, & DB's

So pretty much our defense is a mystery. That game against the niners should be fun.
  17. Doc50

Doc50 Original Fan Zone Supporter

2,086 Messages
    1,255 Likes Received
    I'll take that bet.

Carter's in a contract year, and he's gonna play his *** off. The other guys are hungry to prove something -- their manhood's been challenged, and they've been embarrassed. I believe they'll pull together as a team, and play solid. And they're practicing against a fairly salty offense every day, so they won't be too surprised by the competition.

Now, if the D is improved, can't we get to 9-7? It's up to Romo's health. If he goes down, all bets are off.
    Carharris2 likes this.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Benched

43,820 Messages
    3,379 Likes Received
    anyone who has ever had anything to do with football will tell you that our biggest problem is the DL. Now maybe some of these kids and JAGs will turn out to be more. MAYBE. But at THIS time its clear the worry is the DL.
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

22,446 Messages
    12,187 Likes Received
    The options for Nickel LB appear to be Holloman, Carter and Durant with a slight chance that Church could move up on occasion if they find a 3rd Safety to man his spot.

Durant has good speed but didn't play in the Nickel in Detroit.
  20. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

85,716 Messages
    8,418 Likes Received
    My concerns lay with the DL, I think LB can do the job if the guys up front can keep the big nasties from getting to the 2nd level and getting on the LB's. I expect a lot from Carter this year and I feel good about McClain