1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

More foreign fighters join Taliban in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Jul 30, 2008.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,345 Messages
    3,607 Likes Received
    LINK

By Jon Hemming 2 hours, 41 minutes ago

KABUL (Reuters) - More foreign fighters are joining the ranks of Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan as militants increasingly cross the border from Pakistan to attack Afghan and Western troops, the Afghan Defense Ministry said on Wednesday.

Afghanistan has kept up a barrage of criticism against neighbor Pakistan in the last three months, accusing Pakistani agents of being behind a string of high-profile attacks and allowing militants sanctuary along the long and porous border.

"The presence of foreign fighters is increasing, and increasingly the operations of the terrorists are led by foreigners," Defense Ministry spokesman General Mohammad Zaher Azimi told a news conference.

Afghan, NATO and U.S.-led coalition forces are struggling to contain a sharp surge in violence as the traditional summer fighting season gets into full swing.

Already more U.S. troops were killed in Afghanistan in May and June than in Iraq, where there are some four times more American soldiers.

July, usually the peak month for fighting, could well be the worse month yet for violence since U.S.-led and Afghan forces toppled the Taliban in 2001. Security analysts predict the number of violent incidents could top 1,000 for the first time.

As well as more violence, Afghan and foreign troops are reporting a greater sophistication in Taliban tactics such as multiple roadside bombs and complex ambushes, factors indicating more training and possibly the presence of foreigners.

TALIBAN LEADERS TARGETED

Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the U.S. joint chiefs of staff, said this month there were indications that al Qaeda was switching its focus from Iraq back to Afghanistan.

Violence has increased by 40 percent in the last two months compared to last year, NATO says, partly due to the improved weather, but also due to ceasefires between troops and militants in Pakistan's border tribal belt.

Afghanistan believes foreign funding for the Taliban is channeled through Pakistan's Inter-Service Intelligence (ISI) agency, Azimi said.

Money for the insurgency comes through donors in Gulf countries and a tax on Afghanistan's booming drug trade, security analysts say.

Afghan security forces have launched a series of operations along the main highway that loops around the south of Afghanistan, killing around 100 militants in the last two weeks, Azimi said.

Meanwhile, Afghan and international troops have killed 20 senior militant leaders, including one from al Qaeda, in the last month and captured another seven, he said.

Western troops in Afghanistan have concentrated on targeting the Taliban leadership in an effort to degrade the insurgent fighting ability.
  2. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    maybe they're not more - just the same moving out of iraq and into afganistan cause they're tired of getting kicked around.
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,838 Messages
    596 Likes Received
    Thats what a lot of people think.
  4. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah.

That's one of the reasons why I'm skeptical of "the surge is working" talk.
  5. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,838 Messages
    596 Likes Received

If the surge was not working they would not have moved to Afgan.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

60,345 Messages
    3,607 Likes Received
    We know the Taliban has gained strength for the last year or more. This is not just a recent thing. We nearly had them gone and under control at one time. Then we took our eye off the prize to look elsewhere.

Since then they have grown back in strength to the same levels, or more, than pre war status. They continued back to having a nice bumper crop of that poppies to make a nice amount of money to make heroin.

This is not just because the surge is working or why the surge is working or if the surge is working argument IMO.

This is the idea of going away from the original problem and letting it go for so long that it has grown to a bigger problem instead of taking care of it first before going to Iraq.
  7. ZeroClub

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, I think you are making sense.

A portion of my skepticism about "the surge" is this:

If you push down on the right side of a long water balloon, the water on the right side of the water balloon is displaced to the left side of the balloon (such that the left side swells as the right side is flattened).

To the extent that "the surge" has simply displaced the opposition from Iraq to Afghanistan (without much water leaking out during the move), I'm underwhelmed by the surge's overall effectiveness.
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,692 Messages
    2,015 Likes Received
    Good to see them moving into Afghanistan and all parties concerned have said more US troops will be heading there. Should be good hunting.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    The Iraqi army and government are finaly somewhat competent and that along with the surge (which gave them the breathing space to get on their feet) and more and more Iraqi's realizing that Al Queeda is truly their enemy.
    For all intents and purposes AL Queeda has been beaten in Iraq. That is why more are going to Afghanistan. One big problem in Afghanistan is the fractured command set up. There is no one commander with authority over all troops (contrary to what is claimed) anytime any other nations troops are used there are all sorts of strings attached. That is why more US troops are going there. We tried the NATO way and just like in Bosnia it did not work very well.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

60,345 Messages
    3,607 Likes Received
    Most of the AQ in Iraq were not really the AQ people have been led to believe they were. Many were just insurgents who took on the name AQ.
  11. iceberg

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    if my surge makes you haul tail, it worked. if it wasn't working they'd be laughing at us and staying there, but it's too hot now, run away.

RUN AWAY!!!!

but no - we suck and should just give the country up to the homeless and all go find new lives.
  12. ZeroClub

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If your surge neutralizes me, it worked.

But if all you are doing is changing the locations of battles, you aren't accomplishing all that much.
  13. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Both these wars are stupid...ESPECIALLY Afghanistan...we will be fighting and dieing there FOREVER...fruitless...endless...forget the concept of time because the jihadi has.
  14. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,033 Messages
    729 Likes Received

I'm not sure what you are expecting to happen in regards to poppy fields.

Can you elaborate on what you wish we'd do in Afghanistan (both in general and in regards to the poppy fields).
  15. BrAinPaiNt

60,345 Messages
    3,607 Likes Received
    It's a catch 22 system there I grant you.

You don't want those people growing drugs to sell, we have our own war on drugs of course. But at the same time it is one of, if not the, top GDPs so they have to have money.

I guess the idea of letting them grow and make money knowing that some of that is going back to the taliban is a little disheartening.
  16. Chinfu

Chinfu Member

195 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I totally disagree, Iraq was imo a unjust war but Afghanistan was necessary. You can't just fly planes into our building, kill thousands of people and expect to hide out in a country that harbors these types of criminals. If we had focused our resources and good will to just Afghanistan we would have had this wrapped up 3 years ago. Once we went into Iraq, Afghanistan almost became the forgotten war. This can be won it will just take time and sacrifice.
  17. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,033 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    Afghanistan is more of a quagmire than Iraq (if one subscribes to the Iraq = quagmire theory).

Afghanistan doesn't have any real infastructure. The fields are a source of revenue; Afghanistan has little way to draw revenue other than its drugs. We'd have to go in and spend hundreds of billions to pry them away from their dependency on drugs as a source of income. It would make Iraq look pathetic (in terms of spending).

Destroying the crops does some damage. But it equates pretty well to our war on drugs too. Its not really solving anything. You have to fight the demand side.

I think that's why we went into Iraq: Iraq offered a chance at real change. Afghanistan doesn't, unless you want to be there literally, for 100 years.

I criticised Bush in the past for this (switching from Afghan to Iraq). But I think I was wrong. That isn't to say we shouldn't continue to work with Afghanistan (via Pakistan)..... but rather, Iraq was more important because it does offer a realistic chance at change in an area that is unstable.

I need to think/read on this some more...
  18. iceberg

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    i see someone ordered an extra slice of bad drama.
  19. iceberg

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    so you're telling me they suffered no losses in the surge and despite the accounts of things getting better they're all wrong cause you want it to be.

how many battlefields has each war seen? this isn't a rumble in the schoolyard, zero. this is war and it's in both places and we're gonna be at it for awhile regardless of where. if this upsets you i can look up apartments in switzerland for you. they seem to stay out of things.
  20. iceberg

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    so are you saying iraq was easier to get the infrastructure back up and going vs. afganistan? just trying to be clear but that does sound plausable.