1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Mort on the Dan Patrick Show on ESPN Radio

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Hostile, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    Said that there are several GMs who feel Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt is the 1st QB taken and that he is the closest anyone has measured to Brett Favre in terms of overall game.

Dan Patrick also had a segment where Chris Simms said if he was New Orleans and Bush was taken by the Texans he would select Cutler. From 2 weeks ago.
  2. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    No way we'll be able to get him....not that we would take him anyways
  3. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,167 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    Dang.....keep it quiet!

I want Cutler to slip to the Cowboys.....that would be awesome.
  4. Hostile

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    It's still quite an amazing thing to consider.

Matt Leinart comes out last year, he's the clear cut overall #1. Now, he might end up being the 3rd QB taken and he actually had a better year than last year.

Tells you about the depth last year versus this year and just how good our draft really was given that feeling.
  5. Hostile

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    Doesn't look like that will happen.

It will be interesting to read how he does at the Combines.
  6. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well see....

I would still take Young or Leinhart if I had the choice of the three.

- Mike G.
  7. RCowboyFan

RCowboyFan New Member

6,926 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Yeah I heard that segment, and Dan was like doubling back asking again. At that time, Vince Young wasn't known to be entering draft, i.e. it was before Rose Bowl, if not probably Simms would have said Vince Young.
  8. RCowboyFan

RCowboyFan New Member

6,926 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Well, Hos, maybe so, but I thought this when he played against Oklahoma and have thought so since then. Leinart doesn't have an NFL arm. Maybe he can be efffective in a West Coast system. Or maybe he will prove people like me wrong, be effective any system and make all kinds of throws.

Thats why when people were clamoring that Cowboys or any other team should trade this and that to get him, I thought would be foolish to do so. Hey but I didn't think Leftwitch should have gone before Carson Palmer, so what do I know :) Could be wrong on Lienart as well.
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Yikes, is Cutler ever getting overrated.
  10. Hostile

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    Many thought Montana did not have an NFL arm. Leinart's worth is in how well he reads and utilizes the options before him.
  11. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Agreed.

Too many variables and measurables are heavily counted on to determine if a guy is successful or not.

There have been busts on both sides of the equation, the guy that has all the tools and the guy that doesn't.

I would take Matt Leinhart in a heartbeat, I just hope he doesn't throw his mates under the bus if he suffers a loss :).

- Mike G.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,512 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    I agree with the earlier poster. I have never felt like leinart had a very good arm. To be honest, if Leinart had come out last year, I don't think he would have been the top pick or even the top QB selected. The media all said this but I don't think NFL teams would have valued him over Smith or Rogers. Then again, I liked Andrew Walter the best out of all the QBs last year so what do I know?

To me, the only thing that can really hurt Cutler in the draft is his history of injury. He's had some things in his 4 years at Vandy. He is tough, no question but how his injury history effects his draft status is a question at this point.
  13. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I said back in early December that Cutler's going to be the best professional QB in this year's draft and I stand by it. I still don't know if he'll pass either Leinart or Young in draft position, but he'll be the better QB in the end.
  14. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,094 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Kind of curious why you say that. Personally never saw him play. What did you think of him?
  15. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    what I find funny

is that some on here bash the hell out of Charlie Whitehurst, but from all the Senior Bowl accounts I've seen so far, him and Cutler have been neck-and-neck
  16. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's not even close between the two. Cutler seemed a little hyped up and overthrew a few in the 1 on 1s yesterday but you can see the difference.
  17. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    it's close dude, Whitehurst is just inconsistent

maybe in terms of arm-strength, it's not even close, WHitehurst's deep balls tend to sail, but he's looked crisp and has a quick release, quickest of all the QBs at the Senior BOwl practices
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I've never seen him play. 99% of people singing his praises have never seen him play. He's never played on a big stage, because Vandy's never qualifies for bowl games. People say he's another Brett Favre. Well he's certainly got the turnovers to back that up (25 fumbles and 27 Interceptions). And from what I've read, his accuracy is erratic as all get out, and loves to rely on his arm to throw off his backfoot into traffic. He's also been known to stare down his primary WR, which leads to a lot of batted down balls (149 pass deflections).

He was regarded as a 3rd or 4th round draft pick coming into the year, and has suddenly soared up the charts based solely on his arm strength. I'm always wary of QB's prospects when that happens (Think Jeff George of 1990 or Kyle Boller of 2003).

I think people love the idea of Jay Cutler more than they actually love Jay Cutler.
  19. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,094 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Thanks for the info. As you know I am quite a QB afficionado :p: , and I value input from as many sources as possible to form my own opinion specially when I have never seen the guy play.

Although I have not formed a strong opinion of Jay Cutler one way or the other, I much like you am really wary of players who shoot up the draft board specially those who do so at the combine.
  20. RCowboyFan

RCowboyFan New Member

6,926 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Maybe, but then Danny Awful had the same reputation but ended up a the dud everyone thought he would be.

Like I said, Montana on normal Air Coryell type of system probably would not have same success initially he had in WCO. WHich is why I said, Lienart may succeed in a WCO type. But I seriously doubt he could throw with any effect the Deep Out that you love so much :D