1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Mosley | Bryant, Woodson situations could signal rough patch

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Bluefin, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,177 Messages
    269 Likes Received
    Matt Mosley: Bryant, Woodson situations could signal rough patch

05:53 PM CDT on Friday, July 23, 2004

IRVING – While the Cowboys took on another reclamation project Friday, trouble lurked. The signing of former Titans running back Eddie George to a one-year contract may help solidify the team’s running game. But as owner and general manager Jerry Jones posed with the soon-to-be 31-year-old back, George’s agent was already answering questions about another Cowboys player.

Lamont Smith also happens to represent receiver Antonio Bryant, who still hasn’t met with coach Bill Parcells regarding last month’s jersey-tossing contest. Smith told USA Today on Wednesday that Bryant wouldn’t show at training camp without first meeting with Parcells.

Now, it would seem that Bryant and his agent wouldn’t be in the best position to make ultimatums. And so a day later Smith was backpedaling faster than a slick politician.

"I know what Antonio is going to say. I know what his position is," Smith said. "I think that if he says and does those things, then he's going to be a Cowboy."

To hear Smith tell it Friday, it sounded like Parcells and Bryant could be on the back nine by Monday afternoon. But an unusually tight-lipped Jones didn’t want anything to do with the subject.

He did emphatically say that he and Parcells were on the same page regarding Bryant’s future. After weeks of not hearing anything on the Bryant front, everyone seemed to think last month’s incident had blown over.

Something in Jones’ strained smile suggested otherwise.

He promised to let everyone know something by next Friday, but he looked quite uncomfortable doing so.

According to teammates, Bryant has been back in town for several weeks. But he hasn’t set foot inside Valley Ranch. For a player who challenged the authority of an NFL coaching legend, that seems like a curious move.

Parcells did tell guard Larry Allen to stay away from Valley Ranch earlier this off-season before the two smoothed things over. If Jones or Parcells didn’t tell Bryant to stay home, then he’s done a very poor job of reconciliation.

Mixed with Friday’s news that starting safety Darren Woodson could miss up to eight weeks with a back injury, Jones’ silence regarding Bryant is not a good sign. The Cowboys have shored up their running back situation but have taken a step back at receiver and safety.

Jones did his best to spin the injury, saying that if a player had to miss training camp, he’s glad it’s a veteran such as Woodson. But even if Woodson is healthy in September, he’ll have a tough time getting into condition.

Woodson's absence means that the Cowboys could start the season with Tony Dixon as the starting safety. And you thought Mario Edwards had trouble at cornerback?

Dixon has done absolutely nothing to distinguish himself during his three years in the league. Unless the Cowboys try to bring someone else in, NFL Europe all-star Keith Davis could get a shot at safety.

No, the sky isn’t getting ready to fall. But there’s definitely some rough weather ahead.
  2. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,065 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Bryant = trade bait??? And if so, then who can we get? I say, lets talk with Oakland - Get another Woodson (Charles), and give Bryant and Draft Pick.

I know, it's wishful thinking, and also many of you aren't too high on C. Woodson, but this would look pretty dang good to me!!

P. Hunter--------R. Williams

T-New---------------------------------------------------------C. Williams

any takers????
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,579 Messages
    5,494 Likes Received
    Been saying that for 3 years. A wasted draft pick. Now that Ekubust is gone, Dixon is the new #1 on my "we gotta get rid of this player" list. Maybe we can get a safety after final cuts are made.
  4. Skeptic

Skeptic New Member

851 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hmmm.

Bryant plus a third for McKenzie? Interesting scenario, but leaves us thin at WR.

On another note, does anyone know if Bronson has signed yet? With TC coming up for most teams in the next week or two, he may be getting testy and might sign a deal. We've needed another safety for a while now, and he's gotten veteran stripes.

But is he a SS or a FS? Inquiring minds want to know.
  5. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Packers are three deep at WR. They also hold all the leverage. Unless GB is blown away, McKenzie's choices will be to sit or play.

I think Bronson is still available and he is a FS. Might be a good vet signing about now.
  6. jcblanco22

jcblanco22 Active Member

1,334 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nooo, not T-New and......Charlie Williams, from Bowling Green???
  7. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,177 Messages
    269 Likes Received
    I was baffled at the selection of Tony Dixon in the second round and I do consider the pick wasted because I don't see Dixon as a starter in the future, but I do consider him to be a serviceable reserve strong safety with special teams ability.

When Dixon was called upon to start the latter half of '02, he finished with 49 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and 1 interception.

Dixon went back to a reserve role this past season and led the club in special teams tackles with 20.

Again, I don't think a lot of Dixon and don't see him resigning when his contract expires, but he has some value as a reserve strong safety and special teams performer.

If Zimmer wants to continue his right and left safety scheme with Woody sidelined, I expect Dixon will get the first opportunity to step in the line-up.

I like him in the box, it's deep coverage that worries me.

And as long as Lynn Scott has a locker, the number one spot on my "Please buy this guy a bus ticket outta here" will be safe.

Scott did have a couple of big stops on punt returns last year, but he has zero value on regular defense.
  8. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,242 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I just knew Lynn Scott's name would be brought up when it came to guys that shouldn't be on the team.

There seems to be some things you can just count on on this board....

1. That Lynn Scotts' name will be brought up when talking about people that shouldn't be on the team.

2. That Coakley will be a rumor of a trade.

I'm sure there are others.....especially in the QB situation, but that is all I'll post for now. :D
  9. Skeptic

Skeptic New Member

851 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL........
  10. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Funny how the agent pointed out the other day on the radio about the hack job the reporter did on his comments and mosely just regeratited the same crap with out verifying a dam thing.

No wonder they have very little credibilty he did not even give credit to the other fish hack that fudge it up.

Dam typical media could not get a story on their own so they make them up.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,074 Messages
    1,935 Likes Received
    I hope Jerry and BP are just trying to scare AB into reality by waiting this long. It's starting to go a little too far if they plan on keeping AB around.

I really have my doubts about this.
  12. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,065 Messages
    13 Likes Received

lol, my bad. C. Woodson
  13. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    When Roy Williams was drafted and Darren Woodson resigned, Tony Dixon had absolutely no shot of getting playing time in Dallas no matter how good he plays. He's been asked to contribute on special teams and led the team in special teams tackles. He has plays deep coverage on the nickel defense which has put up the best numbers in league in passing yardage, completion percentage and 3rd down coversion. He filled in for Woody for the end of the 2002 season and made plays with two sacks, two passes defensed, four quarterback pressures and an interception. He's done everything asked of him, but people have such bitter grapes about the draft pick that they can't put that aside long enough to view his play objectively. If he was just a tenth as bad as people make him out to be, the Cowboys would have added a safety. They aren't hard to find, and they aren't expensive. The Cowboys have known about Woody's injury for months.
  14. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Exactly. And I do not advocate drafting a safety high next year either. DL and WR would be my two highest priorities. QB, maybe, if someone can't step up and provide decent production at the position.
  15. MikeD17

MikeD17 Benched

678 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Woodson will be back for the first game of the season , im not even worried about that.

Antonio Bryant isnt going anywhere , Parcells i think wants to help bryant grow into a mature adult, what i think parcells loves most about being a coach is really being a father alot of times to trouble people like bryant , glenn , keyshawn , or people who get a bad rap like brian cox.

I think Bryant is going to have his best year as a Cowboy and will be starting this year .
  16. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,061 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    In the game against Washington that year, he created three turnovers -- an interception and two forced fumbles, both of which we recovered. One of his forced fumbles came on a sack. He also had six solo tackles, the second-most on the team.

The previous week, he had a sack against Philly. Both of his sacks came inside our 20 -- one kept the Redskins from scoring and the other forced the Eagles to settle for a field goal.

He did pretty well when he had to start before. I won't be surprised if he starts any games Woodson might miss, and I won't really be that worried about it, either.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,074 Messages
    1,935 Likes Received
    Scary!!!!

:eek: :eek:
  18. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,579 Messages
    5,494 Likes Received
    While that might sound great on paper, if I were a O-cordinator and I saw him on the field, I would make sure as many plays as possible would be directed at him. Even with Hunter on the field at CB, Dixon would be the weakest player of the defense IMO.
  19. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,061 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    A safety is the most difficult player to exploit. Most of the time, the only player(s) he might be covering by himself are a tight end or a slot receiver. But he's always going to have an outside linebacker in front of him who might be the one covering the tight end, and you can always bring in a nickel back to cover a third receiver. So the "let's direct plays at Tony Dixon" philosophy can't simply be applied whenever teams want. You can throw at a cornerback or run at a lineman or linebacker, but you can't attack a safety and be sure about it.

Anyhow, whoever we put in Woodson's spot is going to be the weakest player on the defense, since that player was a backup in the first place.