1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Mosley:Heady Rogers has overcome injuries

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Gooch, May 18, 2004.

1. Gooch

Gooch E-Dog

623 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Heady Rogers has overcome injuries
    09:37 PM CDT on Tuesday, May 18, 2004

By MATT MOSLEY / DallasNews.com

Wesley Morimune, the former head football coach at Oxnard (Calif.) High School, held most of his film sessions at his offensive coordinator's house.

And that's the reason Jacob Rogers, one of the Cowboys' two second-round picks, didn't get much sleep growing up. His father, J.T., was the offensive coordinator for Oxnard.

As midnight approached, J.T. would finally tell his son it was time to go to bed.

Rogers, who played tight end, quarterback, defensive end and punter in high school (he averaged over 40 yards per punt), is expected to be the starting right tackle for the Cowboys this season.

Folks in Oxnard have been busy organizing a Jacob Rogers Day, which could occur during the Cowboys' training camp stay in Oxnard this summer.

Morimune said he always knew that Rogers would end up as a lineman even though he had excellent hands as a tight end. During those late-night film sessions, Rogers studied the players he'd be lining up against. He looked for flaws in their techniques and then he'd go out and expose them on Friday nights.

"Jacob is so smart," Morimune said. "He knew his limitations and that allowed him to always put himself in good situations."

As a junior, Rogers led his team to an 8-3-1 record. But during his senior season, he separated his shoulder and missed the final four games of the season. Oxnard finished 2-8.

"He played through a lot of pain," Morimune said. "I think his growth spurts caused his feet and shoulders to hurt a lot."

Rogers continued to play through pain when he started three years at left tackle for USC. He was named the best offensive lineman in the Pac-10 his senior season despite the fact that he fought nagging knee injuries.

"Everything feels fine at this point," Rogers said during last month's rookie minicamp. "I don't think I'll have any problems."

Morimune said Rogers' biggest weakness in high school was a lack of stamina. But Rogers, who is now listed at 6-6, 305, has worked hard to overcome that problem.

Once he started adding weight after high school, Rogers knew his pass-catching days were over. He could live with that, but what he really missed was punting.

"I try it sometimes," Rogers said. "But it just doesn't feel right anymore."

E-mail mmosley@dallasnews.com
  2. Shuttemdown41

Shuttemdown41 Member

801 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Stay away from punting that pigskin Jacob! We seriously don't need any stupid injuries to any of our OL because they were messing around trying to see if they can still punt the ball. That's why they pay the punter...speaking of which, is there any way the Cowboys can get back some of Gowin's pay from last season? :D
  3. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,690 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    Don't even mention his name please. I'm still seeing his punts from last year in my nightmares. It seemed like almost none of his punts had any hang time and A LOT of them ended up being shanks. He was awful.
  4. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I really like Rogers. He seems like a sharp kid and hard worker. I think he'll be a good player in this league for a long time.

About the punting, who is actually going to end up with the job this year?
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,031 Messages
    960 Likes Received
    excellent sig.
    truly.
  6. STSINAZ

STSINAZ Active Member

2,845 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ROGERS will be good if he can stay injury free....this is the big time now...where it's alot easier to get injured than in college....the jury is still out on him..
  7. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I love articles where you read about a kid being a student of the game. There is just something about that aspect that really inspires me.
  8. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,249 Messages
    252 Likes Received
    I'm sorry, I don't like being the party pooper, but it's rookie descriptions like this that ruin my day.
  9. TheHustler

TheHustler Active Member

5,390 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    lets hope his injuries are behind him and he makes the switch to right tackle.
  10. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,399 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    that would be very helpful
  11. mcnuttz

mcnuttz New Member

61 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I second that!!! A couple years ago, I was getting ready to throw the football around. While waiting for my firend to get out on the field, I was practicing my punts. On the first one I felt something pop in my knee. I had to hop off the field. Come to find out, it was a torn meniscus. Had to have surgery, and was out for several weeks. Of course I work for the state, so they allowed me extra time. If I played for Parcells I guarantee ya I would have been back on the field in a week!
  12. hockix

hockix Active Member

1,017 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That makes me nervous, we already have Johnson with knee problems.