1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Mosley: Jerry Jones needs to finish the job and bring Chucky to Valley Ranch

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Coy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,208 Messages
    594 Likes Received
    @mattmosley: Jerry Jones needs to finish the job and bring Chucky to Valley Ranch. In fact, I wrote a column about this.

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/0...nding_cowboys.html?blockID=849867&feedID=3799

The Dallas Cowboys' pursuit of legendary defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin may have started as early as last summer. A small delegation of Cowboys staffers attended a USC practice last August and came away impressed with how much energy the soon-to-be 73-year-old Kiffin still possessed, according to a source.

That's not to say the Cowboys expected Rob Ryan to fail, but perhaps they were at least getting their contingency plan together. Now after his unsuccessful foray into college football, Kiffin has returned to his comfort zone with an opportunity to repair his tarnished image.

His marching orders are to revamp a defense that looked completely unorganized much of the time under Ryan's watch. In fact, a good start would be getting the appropriate number of players on the field, although I was intrigued by Rob's 9-man look.
  2. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...what a COMPLETE JOKE!!!!!!! They were HORRIBLE under this senior citizen: worst SC defense in YEARS....kids tuned him out completely: don't give me the nonsense about "NO TALENT" due to sanctions: Ohio State has sanctions and their defense is FINE. SC is every bit the program OSU is....or was until the Kiffin family got there. What a MESS.
  3. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,195 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    Finally, the voice of reason.

Finish the job before we lose out on Jon, Jerry.
  4. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,664 Messages
    615 Likes Received
    Agree completely with the article.
  5. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Man, these guys make all the excuses in the world for Garrett, even when they finally recognize he needs to be canned.

Maybe they are trying to salvage their ego after all the times they gushed about how much of a genius move hiring Garrett was in the first place.
  6. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,711 Messages
    2,455 Likes Received
    That's most of it. They spent months and even years claiming he would be great, and now they refuse to change their minds. No different than a lot of message board posters.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,041 Messages
    4,888 Likes Received
    Do you think he just doesn't know about the reported acrimony between Kiffin and Gruden? Or doesn't care because he knows Cowboys faithful will run after this story like a golden retriever after a dirty tennis ball? Seriously.

We've finally got an organization that's committed to putting a winning structure in place. Why in the world would we disassemble it for a retread commentator who's been out of the game for what amounts to a lifetime and who's publicly shopping for a HC gig and getting nowhere with it? It's just not going to happen, thankfully. Our fans are just going to have to satisfy themselves with incremental improvement. Poor things.
  8. Matts4313

Matts4313 Active Member

272 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    This cant be right. I just read another thread were HousonFrog said this is all "fly by the seat of JJ's pants". There is no way we ever had a plan or checked out Kiffin last year.
  9. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,575 Messages
    820 Likes Received
    Matty, the Skippy Bayless wannabe, is missing the obvious and eternal point: Dallas will ALWAYS have a lame-duck coach as long as Jerry is the owner/GM.
  10. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,758 Messages
    274 Likes Received

You have just turned off on that lonely narrow path. It will be at least three more miles to the next entrance onto US Jerry,Jason, Romo suck highway. But you can turn on to Fire all the coaches and get a GM Blvd in two miles..Pretty sure that is a toll road and you have to stop buying tickets or all things cowboys to get to Jerry to get on.. Good Luck on your lucid journey,but beware of occasional pieces of falling sky and chicken littles running across your road..
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,041 Messages
    4,888 Likes Received
    I just wish somebody had told me in advance how bumpy this road really is. :)
  12. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,068 Messages
    1,059 Likes Received
    :confused:
  13. NinePointOh

NinePointOh Active Member

1,538 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    You realize OSU's defense was only ranked 9 slots higher than USC's this year, despite playing against slow Big Ten offenses in cold weather, right? And USC gave up fewer passing yards and made more interceptions.
  14. newlander

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

......PLEASE don't try to defend the USC defense: they were HORRIBLE....oregon hung 62 on them: we are literally the laughing stock of the league right now. Lovie Smith just sitting at home: SUCH a better pick...JOnes has lost all control
  15. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,883 Messages
    585 Likes Received
    How did we know he was leaving his son's team at USC in the summer?
  16. NinePointOh

NinePointOh Active Member

1,538 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    I'm sorry if you don't want to hear facts that contradict your pre-conceived notions, but that doesn't make them any less true. I was referring specifically to your ridiculous comparison to OSU.

USC wasn't a top defense, and their struggles against Oregon are quite well documented, but they were still above average in the Pac-12 and ranked in the top 3rd of FBS schools, despite the sanctions. Not great, but not as eye-gougingly horrible as you claim. If USC was putrid, what does that say about every other NCAA program? Oregon put up huge offensive numbers against everybody except Stanford.

The fact that Lovie Smith interviewed several places for HC positions, but hasn't interviewed even once to be a DC, should tell you that was never a realistic option. He's simply not interested in a coordinator role.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2013/01/lovie_smith_expected_to_sit_ou.html
  17. Matts4313

Matts4313 Active Member

272 Messages
    131 Likes Received

Not quite the point. The point was that we had been scouting him in case he became available.
  18. newlander

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

........and KIFFIN but I hope like HECK your right. You ARE correct on Lovie though: NFL network just said if he doesn't go after cardinall or jag HC jobs, he'll sit out one year and collect his Bear paycheck. My bad.;)
  19. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,506 Messages
    2,347 Likes Received
    Greatly dislike "chucky".

Want no part of him on the Dallas Cowboys.
  20. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Yes and yes.