1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Mosley: Jerry Jones needs to finish the job and bring Chucky to Valley Ranch

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Coy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    You'd be hard pressed to find a better fit in Dallas. Super Bowl winning coach who has had prior success with an owner very much like our own.

Plus he could counter Coughlin's magnum face with his own blue steel.
  2. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,399 Messages
    312 Likes Received
    Nobody is hiring Gruden this year, so he'll be there sitting if and when Jerry cans Jason next year. Of course a true fan wouldn't wish this to happen since that would mean we missed the playoffs for the third year in a row. Jerry is fully committed to Jason, he's said it again and again, and anything else is pure speculation.
  3. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,648 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    Why don't they just bring Switzer back? He won as many or more games than Chucky. Classic good O coordinator, crappy head coach. Just like Philips, Wade, Turner, etc etc.
  4. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    Chucky does have a superbowl ring. I realise it was with Dungy people but Dungy couldnt win a superbowl with them and Chucky did.
  5. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,347 Messages
    2,162 Likes Received
    This is thread worthy IMO. I had no idea they were anything other than terrible. I got the impression they just got rolled over by everyone. I don't watch NCAA athletics so I have no way of knowing.
  6. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,347 Messages
    2,162 Likes Received
    I'm not a Gruden fan by any means. Nor am I advocating for the firing of our HC. I also do not find fault in Gruden because he did not take jobs at places like the Raiders or the Eagles. If I were him, I wouldn't either

If we were to be looking for a new coach and Kiffin were to not have issue with it then I think it would be foolish to not at least talk to Gruden. I know that he has personality flaws and I know that he has been out of football for 4 years.

An intervie puts you in a position to assess where he is on those things. Maybe he isn't an abrasive jerk. Maybe he does know his stuff still.

Because at the end of the day he has taken two organizations deep in the playoffs. He worked for Al Davis and was able to win under Al Davis. Jerry Jones for all of his flaws is not that bad. He at least at that time he was in the NFL was known as one of the brightest offensive minds in football.

An interview does not marry you to him.
  7. cannonball44

cannonball44 Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager

567 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    Cowboyszone leads the league in hyperbole per post.
  8. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,718 Messages
    3,931 Likes Received
    Agreed. Personally I like him as an announcer. I've heard things that would make me upset were he offered a job here. I, too, want no part of him here. I like him fine just where he is. In fact it appears to be the right place in life for him. JMO.
  9. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,677 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Mosely is missing something. Jon Gruden won a Super Bowl in 2002 in Tampa with Dungy's team. His teams then went down the tubes:

2003 7-9
    2004 5-11
    2005 11-5
    2006 4-12
    2007 9-7
    2008 9-7

I don't have any reason to believe Gruden would do better building a Super Bowl team in Dallas, or maintaining one if he were to build one. Tampa finally gave up on him in '09.
  10. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Cleveland's #1 Cowboys fan

1,945 Messages
    506 Likes Received
    I'm sick of hearing this when it comes to Gruden because you can say that Callahan took Gruden's team to the Super Bowl too! Plus minus the bogus "tuck rule" Gruden would have made it to the Super Bowl that year as well!

If you don't like the guy fine but to constantly use the "well he won with Dungy's team" is tired....just saying!
  11. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,794 Messages
    1,582 Likes Received
    Or make it up where none exists?

8-8 = 8-8

Poor things.
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,629 Messages
    6,393 Likes Received
    Yeah, I obviously wasn't referring to improvement in terms of the team's record. I'm talking about improving as an organization: doing things methodically, drafting well, implementing a quality conditioning program, populating the roster with the personalities you want and instilling a won't-quit attitude, a willingness to address weaknesses (secondary, OL), insulating the team more effectively against outside influences, etc. You know, running things better.

Believe it or not, sometimes you can improve organizationally but it really does take a little chopping wood for it to show up in the win column.
  13. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,783 Messages
    2,512 Likes Received
    Well said. See Jimmy Johnson. 3-13 to 1-15 to 7-9 to 11-5 to back/back Championships.
  14. stasheroo

17,794 Messages
    1,582 Likes Received
    One key difference between Jimmy and Jason - Jimmy inherited a roster completely bereft of talent, Jason did not. Quite the opposite in fact.
  15. stasheroo

17,794 Messages
    1,582 Likes Received
    You know me.

It's a bottom line proposition in my book.

You win games or you lose games.

Improvement is only improvement when it translates into winning.

If it doesn't, it's simply a lot of hollow talk.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,629 Messages
    6,393 Likes Received
    I do know that's your position. I just don't understand how such a smart poster can disregard the, literally, dozens of examples of good teams that didn't start off winning nearly as many games/season as they ended up winning once the program was in place.
  17. stasheroo

17,794 Messages
    1,582 Likes Received
    I would counter how a smart poster would simply assume that the program being put in place is a 'winning' one despite all evidence to the contrary?

Offense steadily improving under Garrett's hand? Nope.

Defense getting better? No again.

Special teams maybe? Let's ask the guy who just left.

How about wins? No improvement there either.

So if there is no tangible evidence to support 'the process' working, then maybe 'the process' isn't as good as the folks supporting it would have you believe?
  18. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,306 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    I was hopeful earlier, but by now? If Red is still here now, I find it hard to believe he won't be when the season starts next year.

Doubt Gruden is coming here, though I'd like him to. Even if he couldn't lift the team up above mediocrity ( I think he would ), his press conferences would at least be entertaining, unlike the robotic ones of Garrett. Those bland press conferences work for Belicheck only because of his success.
  19. Blast From The Past

Blast From The Past Active Member

889 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Amen on that! Just say No To Chucky! He won a SB with Dungy's team in Tampa against a foe he knew all too well but outside of being a notorious workaholic what else has set him apart from the pack?