News: Mosley: Parcells continues emphasis on character

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 1, 2005.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl U.N.I.T.Y Staff Member

74,283 Messages
    23,347 Likes Received
    [size=-1]06:10 PM CDT on Sunday, May 1, 2005 [/size]

[size=-1]By MATT MOSLEY / The Dallas Morning News [/size]

IRVING – Cowboys coach Bill Parcells ended a three-day rookie minicamp with a stern warning to the 40 players who attended:

"You now represent the Dallas Cowboys," he said. "You're a potential victim. You have gone from being a kind of person who may not be attempted to be taken advantage of to one who will."

A recurring theme over the past two weeks has been how much emphasis Parcells is placing on players of high character. Last week, Parcells said he was too old to deal with "thugs and hoodlums."

And that is why it should come as no surprise that four of the club's eight draft picks served as captains for their college teams. Second-year linebacker Kevin Burnett, who finished his undergraduate degree at Tennessee in less than three years, was a back-to-back captain.

"Captain of the team means something to me," Parcells said. "Especially if it's a winning team."

Parcells hopeful Canty will be ready for training camp: Rookie defensive end Chris Canty, whom the Cowboys took in the fourth round, continued to work on resistance training with trainer Britt Brown. Canty, who has a detached retina in his left eye, will undergo a procedure this month.

"One of the advantages that Chris has is he has a pretty good idea of some of the stuff we may do on defense," Parcells said. "He knows terminology. He knows some of the terms we use. He's familiar with them because he's been playing in a system that made him familiar with them."

Canty played for former Parcells assistant and close friend Al Groh at Virginia.

Burnett catching on quickly: Kevin Burnett appears even bigger than his 6-3, 230-pound listed weight. He's already making a strong impression at outside linebacker. He dropped back in coverage during team drills Sunday morning and got his hand on a pass. Burnett either tipped or knocked down at least five passes during minicamp.

"He's going to be a quick learner," Parcells said. "He's going to be quick. He's sharp."

Second-year players catch Parcells' eye: Parcells singled out receiver Tom Crowder and fullback Lousaka Polite as two players who have made dramatic improvements since last season. Crowder, a standout special teams player at Arkansas, might be the fastest player on the team, but he spent the past year trying to improve his hands.

Polite was only active for one game last season, but he's won Parcells' admiration because of his work in the off-season program.

"He's one of the strongest two or three guys we have in our off-season," Parcells said of Polite. "And plus Polite is very smart. I mean Polite understands concepts. He's an extremely smart kid. He should get it. Second time around, he should get it."

Polite will be challenging Darian Barnes for a spot on the roster.

Former Irving RB has speed: One of the players mentioned in each of Parcells' news conferences was former Irving standout Tyson Thompson, who gave up his senior season at San Jose State to declare for the draft, but was not picked.

Thompson, who originally signed with TCU out of high school, displayed good hands and the ability to get outside on running plays.

Asked about Thompson, Parcells responded, "Got speed, got speed. You know, he's just a young guy. He's gonna have to study hard, learn what to do."

Cargile has inside scoop on officials: Second-year safety Steve Cargile recently completed a two-month internship at the NFL headquarters in New York. Cargile, a graduate of Columbia, said he spent most of his time in the officiating division, where he helped with scheduling and breaking down film.

"Those officials get reviewed just like players," Cargile said. "And it was intriguing to see another side of things."

Hits and misses: The Cowboys held a short practice on the final day of minicamp Sunday. ... Crowder seemed to be the center of attention on offense. He took a reverse during team drills and caught several passes. ... Rookie receivers Reggie Harrell and Jamaica Rector bounced back with a solid practice after dropping several balls Saturday. ... Syracuse guard Matthew Tarullo (6-5, 314) was the offensive lineman of the day. He did a nice job of getting his weight set and controlling defensive tackles. ... Third-year defensive tackle Jermaine Brooks, who has only played in two games for the Cowboys, overwhelmed several of the undrafted guards. Brooks said he's hoping this is the last rookie minicamp he has to participate in.

Coaching shorts: The rookies are all expected back at Valley Ranch on May 16, when they will begin their off-season workouts. Parcells said he would keep the rookies until July 14. ... First-round pick Demarcus Ware has been very diligent in delivering water to Parcells during breaks. He even put his arm around Parcells following one delivery. ... Parcells has officially given 307-pound defensive end Marcus Spears the nickname "Fats Domino." ... Offensive line coach Tony Sparano may have been the most energetic coach in minicamp.

E-mail mmosley@**************

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstorync/stories/050205cpcowreport.231ebda12.html

2. Natedawg44

Natedawg44 Active Member

2,598 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I could see Burnett easily running around at 240 plus. I could easily see him being a captain and leader similar to the way he was at Tennessee in a couple of years.

I remember how excited I was after the 2002 draft when we got 4 potential 1st rounders, but I put aside the huge character concerns with Bryant and Ross as did most of us. I thought that talent would win the day. We all know how that ended up. It is easy to get excited about the 2005 draft haul because they are all class character guys. I think all of the hype is for good reason because its much more likely to work out for us.

3. Hostile

Hostile The Duke

119,480 Messages
    4,208 Likes Received
    Kick him to the curb Lousaka.

That was a great article. I thoroughly enjoyed that.

4. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

26,165 Messages
    6,055 Likes Received
    Great article except for the Burnett at 230 thing. I haven't seen any listing lower than 237 and the Cowboys roster has him at 239.

5. Hostile

Hostile The Duke

119,480 Messages
    4,208 Likes Received
    I think Burnett will be our emotional spark plug on defense by years end. I really think he's going to be vocal and it will charge people up.

6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

68,045 Messages
    24,601 Likes Received
    Chubby Checker, Fats Domino........this isn't good. Spears better show up in camp at weight or he will hear about it every day.

Great article and thanks for posting.

7. Natedawg44

Natedawg44 Active Member

2,598 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't care if they call him Subway Jerod as long as he makes plays.

8. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,987 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Ha ha. Still harboring that Jamar Martin grudge, TH? :)

9. NicholasD

NicholasD New Member

200 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Spears seems like the kind of guy who would respond well to the type of motivation Parcells is using with the Fats Domino names.

10. Hostile

Hostile The Duke

119,480 Messages
    4,208 Likes Received
    No, I've accepted the fact that Jamar is gone. I have not accepted the fact that Darian "The Repenter" Barnes still is.

He was kept over Martin because "he was a better receiver out of the backfield and better on Special Teams." No one ever said he was even on the same page as a lead blocker. When a player with a special skill such as Martin had for blocking is let go and those are the reasons given for the preference you tend to expect that the player kept will show some evdence.

I don't remember a single ST play that Darian Barnes made a difference. Nor a reception he had that was crucial. His blocking was abysmal.

He was flat out the worst FB I think I have ever seen.

11. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    "One of the advantages that Chris has is he has a pretty good idea of some of the stuff we may do on defense," Parcells said. "He knows terminology. He knows some of the terms we use. He's familiar with them because he's been playing in a system that made him familiar with them."

Wink

12. Natedawg44

Natedawg44 Active Member

2,598 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree we saw way more of him than I would ever want. I think Campbells injury was directly related to that. Here's to Campbells health and hoping that the fullback position goes the way of the Dodo bird.

13. hendog

hendog Well-Known Member

2,533 Messages
    547 Likes Received
    While he was awfully bad Hos, I'm not so sure he was worse than Robert Thomas. Was he?

14. Natedawg44

Natedawg44 Active Member

2,598 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think he was. It should have been "the regrettor" instead of the repentor.

15. Hostile

Hostile The Duke

119,480 Messages
    4,208 Likes Received
    In my opinion he was because of the reason why he was retained. Thomas was a converted LB. I don't remember anyone pumping him up as a contributor. I expected Barnes to at least add something to the team that Martin couldn't. He was a horrible waste.

I also think I'd rather have Thomas than him overall. I couldn't stand Thomas. I called him a thief for cashing his game checks. I still hate the Bears for not taking him while they had the chance.

I keep imagining Julius Jones with a crushing lead blocker and think what could have been. Lousaka Polite is my new favorite Cowboy. No one will root for him any harder than me. JJ with a seam is amazing. Imagine with a real hole to run through. Wow. That move against Seattle will be commonplace.

16. jobberone

jobberone Kane Ala Staff Member

50,020 Messages
    13,482 Likes Received
    Definitely bigger than the first impressions I got. Some good news here.

17. jobberone

jobberone Kane Ala Staff Member

50,020 Messages
    13,482 Likes Received
    Wondered how long it would take you to pipe in on this. :)

18. Hostile

Hostile The Duke

119,480 Messages
    4,208 Likes Received
    LOL

Not long.

19. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

68,045 Messages
    24,601 Likes Received
    :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

20. 5mics

5mics Next Year's Champions

1,827 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Whoa there Natedawg! I know two TE-sets and h-backs are in vogue BUT I hope the 'Boys will always use the FB. It may be an old school thing but I have to agree w/ the old timers, the FB can be an important part of the offense if used properly.....Not having one just seems sooo anti-football, is it just me? :confused: