1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Mosley: Peterman has 'sense of urgency'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by LaTunaNostra, Jun 28, 2004.

1. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Peterman has 'sense of urgency'
    05:24 PM CDT on Monday, June 28, 2004

By MATT MOSLEY / DallasNews.com

CowboysPlus.com looks at the Cowboys' draft picks through the eyes of their high school or college coaches.

Cowboys rookie guard Stephen Peterman didn’t have your typical college experience. By the time his senior season ended with a co-national championship at LSU, Peterman already had a wife and 5-month-old child.

So while other NFL rookies eyed fully loaded SUVs, Peterman has his eye on a new family minivan. His college offensive line coach, Stacey Searels, said that starting a family just before his senior season actually made Peterman a better player.

“He immediately began looking at football as more of a job,” Searels said. “He just had a sense of urgency because he knew football was going to be the ticket for this family.”

Peterman is expected to challenge incumbent Andre Gurode for the starting spot at right guard. Searels said a nasty streak and overall toughness is what separates Peterman from most of the offensive linemen he has coached.

“We have some younger guys who probably have more talent,” Searels said. “But you can’t coach leadership, and he’s got it.”

Peterman, now 6-4, 317, actually came to LSU as a tight end. His teammates in Waveland, Miss., called him “Novacek” after former Cowboys tight end Jay Novacek.

“I had good hands,” Peterman said during a recent minicamp. “But I don’t think they’re going to move me back over there.”

After being moved to defensive end, Peterman played in nine games his freshman season. He then started at guard his final three seasons. Searels said that Peterman always wanted a certain running play ("Power Right") called because it allowed him to level a linebacker.

He recorded 19 knockdowns (putting an opposing player on his back) against Mississippi last season.

Searels said that Peterman would often stay after practice and run 50-yard sprints up a levee that was next to the Mississippi River. Peterman gained weight every summer, but he never had trouble finishing his conditioning drills.

Because of his punishing style, Peterman is regarded as an excellent run blocker. Peterman’s strong upper body allows him to punch defensive linemen off their strides. That allows him to sustain the block longer.

One of the toughest things for college linemen is adjusting to the increased speed in the NFL.

“You’re not always going against a great player in college,” Searels said. “But in the NFL, you’re up against a top guy every single week.”

Peterman could end up having an abbreviated adjustment period. But that’s just fine with him.

"I want to put myself in a position to play right now,” Peterman said. “But I’ll leave that up to the coaches.”

E-mail mmosley@dallasnews.com

THE BREAKDOWN

Name: Stephen Peterman

Position: Guard

College: LSU

Ht./Wt.: 6-4, 317

Hometown: Waveland, Miss.

Quote: “He calls me all the time. I tell him to do everything he can do to make his job go smoothly.”

-- Stacey Searels, Peterman’s offensive line coach at LSU

Printer Version
  2. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,885 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    This guy strikes me a pro bowler under BP. Randy Thomas redux.

Not much to add so just consider this bump for an article about a future OL fixture in the starting lineup.
  3. Reef Engineer

Reef Engineer New Member

810 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'll settle for a legitimate starter at this point and put pro bowl aspirations on the back burner.
  4. LaTunaNostra

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hope so, J.

Randy started all 16 games for Bill as a rookie and made the all-rookie teams.

Speaking of rookies, Total Access broadcast tonight from the NFL Rookie Symposium being held in La Costa, CA. A lot of player interviews and one was a starry eyed Larry Fitzgerald, who mentioned it "took some getting used to" in minicamp "to be in the same huddle as Emmitt Smith ."

Nice kid.

The "other" Roy Williams was interviewed with him. He looks about 35.
  5. ghettogandhi

ghettogandhi Member

995 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    THE STRENGTH Of THE OFFENSE AND One OF THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE
  6. TheSkaven

TheSkaven Last Man Standing

4,088 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    For some reason, Peterman strikes me more as a tackle then a guard, though he's never played tackle. If he has good hands we could use him as the third tight end in goal line situations too. :D
  7. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Our oline bottom 5 in league last few years. Hope so on turnaround.
  8. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,845 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    It seems like he has the perfect attitude for an OL. Nasty guy, doesn't mind doing the dirty work. Enjoys smacking other players around. We MAY be fine at guard after all.
  9. The Curly One

The Curly One New Member

587 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    and one of the best in the league?

Damn! Now that is being an optomist! As long as we have Larry Allen letting everyone run right past him I would not get your hopes up on that one.
    This guy Peterman sounds interesting I hope he works out for us. Generally it takes several years for linemen to become really good players in the NFL. I believe our offensive line is by far our biggest problem and the lack of pass rush on the defensive line is the second biggest problem. I said the offensive line was our biggest problem even before Troy Aikman was forced to retire. In fact that is WHY he was forced to retire! It did not help Emmitt Smith either.
    If we get some blocking and protection this team will score some points. If we dont then you know what happens. Curly
  10. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received

larry allen comes back in shape and the two rookies push, we might have a line.

Or we might still suck? Time will tell.......
  11. billknows

billknows New Member

790 Messages
    0 Likes Received

That's what I was thinking, Bill might chuck him the ball to........cool, nah JJ will just run his way skipping over some def. lineman on his back
  12. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,623 Messages
    3,150 Likes Received

By gosh Nors you agree with me again.

Son-of-a-gun!

Morning Nors!
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received

Good stuff....VERY good stuff.
    :cool:
  14. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,714 Messages
    353 Likes Received
    Good read. I am just loving the fact that both of our OL picks has played championship ball on champiohship teams. No need to instill winning into these guys.
  15. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,093 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    I'm hoping he does not crack the starting lineup this year because that will mean LA is back and Gurode has come around. I would hate to think we wasted that 2nd rounder on Gurode. 2 -3 years down the road it would be nice to see Gurode and Peterman as fixtures at Guard and Adams and Rogers at the tackle spot with Johnson in the middle.

That would be a young Oline and hopefully a dominant one!
  16. LaTunaNostra

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Yeeeeaaaaahhhh

Look at the photos that accompanied the article.

[IMG]

Imo, that is the true physique (for lack of a better word) of a dynamite guard. That's old school, that's nasty, that's who-cares-what-you-do-in-the-gym, I'm-gonna-pancake-you-today. That's the big belly and far from impressive biceps look of an effective guard.

Now look at the kid's mug shot.

[IMG]

Even in a suit being photographed for a yearbook, he looks menacing. He can't help it. Kid's just plain MEAN. :p

Gotta love it.

later
  17. mcnuttz

mcnuttz New Member

61 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It would definitely be nice, let's all hold our breath!! At least we have hope, if nothing else...
  18. Hollywood Henderson

Hollywood Henderson Benched

3,329 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Oline will be improved, it can't be worse, (Unless injuries hit hard)

Flo is ready to dominate...Allen is better, Lehr is back on the bench where he belongs...Actual fighting over starting jobs will make for a better & tougher team...

Sustained offensive drives mean a fresher & faster D able to get to the QB more effectively...One able to finish games in the 2nd half...
  19. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    It looks more like he eats a lot of pancakes to me.
  20. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,623 Messages
    3,150 Likes Received

Yep, he looks like he could be IHP's best customer.