1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mosley: Ratliff likely to remain with the Cowboys in 2013

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 24, 2013.

1. batman36

batman36 Member

508 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is my stance as well. Enough is enough!
  2. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,462 Messages
    930 Likes Received
    Seeing a problem with it and believing he should be fired for it are too different things.

I'm not for firing someone the first time they make a mistake, no matter how big that mistake looks considering the circumstances. In fact, we don't know all of the circumstances that led to this. All we do know is that Ratliff has been an emotional leader and good soldier for this team up until the point where Jerry ticked him off and this incident. (I'm sure for a player like him, not being able to be out there with his teammates just eats at him.)

I don't remember seeing such outrage over all the other DUIs that have happened around the league (David Diehl, Marshawn Lynch — who has had previous off-field trouble, etc.). I don't remember people calling for them to be made an example of.

To me, this is just typical overreaction on this board. People deserve a second chance in life, with stipulations, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with Ratliff receiving one despite the stupidity of his choice.

I'm ready for everyone on this board outraged over his error to go to their bosses, admit things they've done wrong and demand to be fired. After all, apparently that's only fair.
  3. RGKN33

RGKN33 New Member

78 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Because their teamates didnt just DIE !!

What the hell is wrong with some of you guys no respect for life and what it means to represent a high standard ,everyone should be accountable especially if something like this just happened and someone LOST THEIR LIFE !!
  4. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Please, save the drama queen antics for the Glee Club. If Tyron Smith or DeMarcus Ware got a DUI tommorrow, no one would be standing on a soapbox begging the Cowboys to cut him. I know it. You know it. We all know it.
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    I like Ratliff but I'm not sure his play is worth his contract or the trouble in keeping him.

I didn't really care too much for the spat with Jerry but this is dumb. This is just next level idiocy and it doesn't look good at all.

The team could use it as an example of not tolerating such crap, although I'm not sure how you ditch a guy like Ratliff and allow Brent to be around.

Tough position to be in because Dallas has committed to being by Bren't side but then Ratliff screws up after having fought with Jerry so letting Ratliff go and keeping Brent kind of cancels out any sort of message you want to send unless that message is, "Don't question Jerry".
  6. RGKN33

RGKN33 New Member

78 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Speak for yourself .
    Thats the difference between someone like me and someone like you , just because you dont or dont expect someone else to live up to these moral standards doesnt mean i have to accept it .

Doesnt make me better than you but its what i believe and how i was raised .
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    If you're trying to point out that people would make concessions if the player is good enough I'm not sure you're really doing anything other than stating the obvious.

Ratliff obviously isn't a guy people are willing to do that for.

Not to mention cutting Ware would result in double the cap hit for Ratliff, thereby making free agency over before it starts.
  8. gimmesix

9,462 Messages
    930 Likes Received
    So that's the line we're drawing on players with DUI? Just because none of Lynch's teammates had died as a result of drunk driving, while thousands of others do each year, it's OK for him to be kept and Ratliff to be fired?

If we want to do this out of respect for life, then every player who has had a DUI in the NFL should lose his job. Every person who has had a DUI should lose his job.

I know there's a lot of emotion involved in this, and it was just absolutely a poor choice by Ratliff, but I can't make a stance against him I'm not willing to take against other first-time offenders.

I don't drink alcohol, I wish others wouldn't and I definitely don't support driving while drunk or drinking, but I cannot hold Ratliff to a higher standard than anyone else should be held. He deserves to be fined, he deserves to be reprimanded, he deserves for stipulations to be made against it happening again and he also deserves a second chance.

It just seems to me there is a lot of hypocrisy on this board concerning this issue.
  9. RGKN33

RGKN33 New Member

78 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I understand your point , but you have to see mine .
    When is enough , ENOUGH ???
  10. gimmesix

9,462 Messages
    930 Likes Received
    Not now is the only answer I've got for you. Ratliff doesn't deserve to be fired for his first lapse in judgment. I feel the same way about Brent, even though his actions ended up killing a friend ... something he'll have to live with long past any punishment he receives.

Pacman Jones had to be fired when he got into a fight with his Dallas-appointed bodyguard because of his history of bad judgment. And it was easy to make a case for him never being given a third, fourth or fifth chance or whatever it was in the first place. Then again, he's still in the league and finally seems to be staying out of trouble (but I definitely wouldn't want him back now, because he's failed the trust test).

When you give someone another chance and when you give up on them is a hard thing to determine ... and I really don't think level of play should have anything to do with it (although it does). So I guess enough is enough when you feel you can no longer help someone not keep making the same or similar bad choices (and with Ratliff there isn't a pattern of bad choices).

Keeping Ratliff on the team and letting him atone for his poor judgment is the right choice. Keeping Ratliff on the team if a pattern of such behavior develops would be the wrong choice.
  11. Holdenteller67

Holdenteller67 Benched

78 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think he should be cut because he isn't that good anymore, the arrest just confirms my thoughts. This is a business not nursery school, if you cut your best players because of this and only this you won't be any good. The goal is to win football games not have a bunch of swell guys.
  12. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,489 Messages
    422 Likes Received
    Ratliff should be cut, but not because of the DUI or the fight with Jerry.

He should be cut because he will count 7 million against the cap next year, and 9 after that, for a guy who because he was undersized and overmotored at the NT position has been ground down to a nub. If you cut him I believe he is only 2 million against the cap next year and not much more the year after, and done. His production has fallen off the cliff and he has had alot of injury issues of late.

Everyone thinks we are talking about cutting 2009 Ratliff. We aren't, we are talking about cutting played six games got zero sacks last year Ratliff.

Who drinks and drives and fights with the owner, that's the cherry on the top of that sundae...