1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Most of You Know the Story About The Redskins Fight Song...

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Hostile, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,073 Messages
    3,029 Likes Received
    You just made my day.
  2. Hostile

119,073 Messages
    3,029 Likes Received
    Very true. The Vikings did not have to start staffing until 1961, but they did get the overall #1 pick in the 1961 NFL Draft. Imagine if they had taken Bob Lilly. He ended up being the best player in that Draft. Dallas got him with the 13th pick. They had the worst record in 1960 and still had to pick that late.
  3. FanSince61

FanSince61 Thanks for the memories Dandy

865 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    We traded the #2 overall pick and a sixth round to Washington for Eddie LeBaron. The 13th pick we got Lilly with was Cleveland's pick.
  4. Hostile

119,073 Messages
    3,029 Likes Received
    I know. I was more saying about how in retrospect we might not have got Lilly.
  5. FanSince61

FanSince61 Thanks for the memories Dandy

865 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    True we paid a heavy price for LeBaron. Washington took a DT with the 3rd pick. Wrong guy.:laugh2:
  6. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,162 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Man, this REALLY ought to be in the History Forum.

Anyway, Bert Bell didn't exactly "step down", he DIED. So most of the NFL meetings were taken up with the issue of deciding a new commissioner. It wasn't until Rozelle (a compromise candidate) was elected that the owners were able to turn their attention to the issue of expansion.

The Cowboys weren't competing against the Vikings for talent in 1960 -- the Vikings didn't start play until 1961 and yes, they did have the benefit of that year's college draft and overall #1 pick.

As noted, the reason the Cowboys picked so late in the first round is because they traded their original first round pick to the Redskins for the rights to (the then retired) Eddie LeBaron, who had moved to Texas to start a law practice.

Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned the Redskins were no threat in the early 60s -- that's not exactly true. From 1960 to 1962, we were 1-2-2 against the Redskins. We split with the 'Skins every year from 1963-1967. It wasn't until 1968 that we really got their number, when we ran off six straight wins (a string the 'Skins finally broke in 1971).

Re: Murchison and the '52 Texans: there are two different stories about why Murchison's bid for the Texans failed. According to Garry Stratton & Robert Krug, Murchison was out of the country and thus unable to buy the franchise when the opportunity arose. Peter Golenbock gives a different reason: he claims Murchison sought a 24-hour extension to examine the books of the franchise. When Commissioner Bert Bell refused, Murchison backed out and the franchise was awarded to Rosenbloom.

Re: GP Marshall and the Colts' proximity: note that the 1953 Baltimore Colts formed by the move of the Texans' franchise was not the first time the Redskins faced such competition. When the AAFC merged with the NFL in 1950, three AAFC teams joined the NFL: the Cleveland Browns, the San Francisco 49ers and the Baltimore Colts. Those Colts existed from 1947 to 1950. They were not the precursor to the 1953 Colts, who now operate in Indianapolis. Apparently GP Marshall's concerns about a team in Baltimore were not enough for the rest of the NFL to preclude the AAFC Colts from joining the league in the merger.

I really enjoy these history threads -- thanx Hostile. I'm looking forward to your book. What's the status on the book, by the way?
  7. Hostile

119,073 Messages
    3,029 Likes Received
    I completely forgot Bert Bell had died. My bad.

End of this season so it contains all 50 years.
  8. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,906 Messages
    1,372 Likes Received

:bow:

As always Hos you come through with great information.
  9. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,162 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Man, moving this discussion to the History Zone was a real thread-killer.

The next time I suggest it, please ignore me . . .
  10. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Dude! Where did you find this pic on the net? I would love to see more of them.