1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mr. Cowboy

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Bob Sacamano, May 12, 2006.

1. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    not to take anything away from the great Bob Lilly, but for the younger Cowboy fans such as myself, who is our generation's Mr. Cowboy? alot to choose from:

Emmitt
    Troy
    Irvin
    Woody
    Larry Allen

for me, it would probably be Emmitt, to me, he was the face of the Dallas Cowboys
  2. bobbie brewskie

bobbie brewskie New Member

651 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yea emmitt is the guy non-cowboy fans think of when they think dallas, so id say him. i like woody on defense . . .
  3. 2much2soon

2much2soon Active Member

2,447 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Charles Haley may have been as important as any individual player to the championship efforts of the '90s.
    Without Haley's attitude and leadership on defense those '90s teams may have been just offensive juggernauts and not much more.
    Sure, he wasn't a "pure" Cowboy, coming from the whiners, but he helped those Dallas teams over the top.
  4. t.o.boys81

t.o.boys81 New Member

374 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Definitly Emmitt. Possibly the greatest football player that ever played the game. And he played it the right way.
  5. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,439 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    Lynn Scott, for obvious reasons.
  6. EMMITTnROY

EMMITTnROY Well-Known Member

2,493 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Emmitt, no doubt
  7. ka0tik

ka0tik DALLAS

2,885 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    Agreed, Emmitt. :starspin
  8. EveryoneElse

EveryoneElse Active Member

3,877 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lily is and always will be Mr. Cowboy.

Emmitt= Mr. Touchdown
    Aikman=Mr. Accuracy
    Irvin=Mr. Clutch
    Woody=Mr. Dependable
    LA=Mr. Road Grader

I get what your asking though, for the younger generation, Emmitt Smith is/was what you would think of when you think Cowboys.
  9. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Respect the history of the franchise youngsters.

Emmitt was a vital cog to the success of the 90's Cowboys, but to ignore the overall history is never a good thing.

There is no generation gap in greatness. Lilly was, and will always be, Mr. Cowboy.
  10. bobbie brewskie

bobbie brewskie New Member

651 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i was thinking about this a little bit further and came to the cunclusion:
    since bob lilly is the cowboys first all-time pick (thus giving him the label of mr. cowboy) should the oldest guy on the 1990s cowboys get the honors of being mr. cowboy for us younger generations? emmitt may be the best known and the triplets being known as the face of the 90s but lilly was the 1st ever . . . just a different view. i still say emmitt.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,695 Likes Received
    If you talk about the Cowboys, you cannot ignore the past. Just like the Skins could not ignore Sammy. Trying to ingnore Tom, Roger and BOb is pretty STUPID and really just plain ignorant.
    However if you are going to do this dumb thing, then my 2 choices would be Woody or Dat.
  12. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Kids, just kids. :bang2:
  13. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,102 Messages
    3,087 Likes Received
    Not trying to bag on your idea at all, so please don't take it that way. There is and always will be only one "Mr. Cowboy" and that is Bob Lilly. It has to be that forever. Not even my favorite player of all time, Roger Staubach, can lay claim to that nickname. For long time Cowboys fans stuff like that is sacred, almost holy.

Teams will always have a player at the fore front who for lack of a better word is the face of that team. Emmitt was, but has moved on. Even at his MVP caliber best, he could not have that title. Nor do I think he'd want it.

Right now I'd say the face of the Cowboys is Roy Williams but I strongly suspect by year's end in 2006 there could be serious competition in the form of DeMarcus Ware. No matter who assumes that role, they will carve their own destiny on the shoulders of the original star in Dallas. That was Bob Lilly, forever.
  14. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,644 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
  15. Howboutdemcowboys31

Howboutdemcowboys31 Well-Known Member

1,150 Messages
    271 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  16. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,375 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    What? No ones nominating god himself el dorado for Mr Cowboy? I am shocked!!!!
  17. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm not ignoring the past, I actually brought it up

whatever
  18. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I understand all that, but I wasn't around to truly appreciate Lilly, Staubach etc., this is just for the younger generation, who they grew up to love as THE Cowboy, I know Lilly is Mr. Cowboy, not trying to take that title away, it's just a fun, little exercise for us youngins to start to get worked up over some of our favorite players, the same way you old heads get worked up over Lilly, Staubach, Randy White etc.
  19. DragonCowboy

DragonCowboy Well-Known Member

5,418 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    Don't worry man, you even said, "not to take anything away from the great bob lilly", and those old geezers jumped on you anyway...

You did, though, get your answer. Most people said Emmitt.
  20. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    thanks for getting my back, but I wasn't really looking for a specific answer