1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mubarak has left the building

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by joseephuss, Feb 11, 2011.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,924 Messages
    1,507 Likes Received
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703786804576137543866154926.html

President Hosni Mubarak will step down, delegating his power to the Army, the Egyptian vice president announced on State TV. The announcement sparked celebrations by thousands of protesters that have been calling for the end of the regime.

Earlier Friday, Egypt's powerful armed forces backed the handoff of power from President Hosni Mubarak to his vice president and pledged to ensure the transition to free elections, amid reports that the president had left the capital for his home in the Red Sea resort of Sharm El-Sheikh.
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,320 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Thats what happens when you turn peoples Internet off. :muttley:
  3. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    I don't know if this violates the 'no politics' rule of the forum, if it does i completely understand if you remove the thread mods.

But this is just an awesome point in the lives of many and who knows if and how fast it's going to spread in the region.

I would like to ask posters to refrain from turning this into some sort of political debate. Lets just enjoy the moment if we can.

Check out al jazeera, people are going completely insane. Hope something better comes out of this.

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

And for Mubarak, you dictatorial ****head.
    [youtube]MBfYQOSSPqc[/youtube]
  4. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Not good for Isreal.
  5. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,541 Messages
    698 Likes Received
    Why???
  6. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    +1

You beat me to it.
  7. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,682 Messages
    314 Likes Received
    Depends on the new government it could be influenced back into pre-1950's relations.
  8. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Indeed. Israel is panicking right now but SCREW them! It is injustice to support a corrupt dictator. Supporting a villain for your own benefits is just wrong.

Now I just hope the people of Egypt get what they worked for
  9. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,359 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    Because as far as foreign relations are concerned, we knew what we were getting with Mubarak. His relationship leaned more towards the US than any of the volatile Arab countries. The new regime will be heavily influenced by the Iranians by whatever means necessary, kind of like how our old buddy Karzai in Afghanistan has been funneling money from Iran. This is a problem in a region that is already highly volatile to American interests, now multiply that x100 and you have their feelings toward Israel.
  10. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If you have to ask,then you have a lot of learning to do.

The only organized opposition Mubarak had was the Muslim Brotherhood.
    They repudiate Israel and were involved in the assassination of Anwar Sadat,who agreed to a peace treaty with Israel,carried until today by Mubarak.
    Founded in 1928,The Muslim Brotherhood All Stars include luminaries such as Bin Laden,Khalid Sheik Muhammad and other unsavory characters.

This is NOT a political post,but a history post.

Act accordingly.
  11. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,068 Messages
    1,231 Likes Received
    Now the even scarier part -- who/what fills his place.
  12. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,822 Messages
    710 Likes Received
    Now go get all the money Mubarak stole. Take back every penny. He and his family along with his iron-fisted military thugs stole billions and billions. Hit these pigs where it hurts most: in the wallet.
  13. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,614 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    ditto.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,695 Likes Received
    You have a poor country where most of the population is illiterate. You have fundamentalists pushing hard for a theocracy. Its not hard to figure the most likely scenario.

The real sad thing is that with very few resources and a illiterate population, no government is going to be able to do much.