1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Muhammad Ali’s ‘greatest’ gift to Dirk Nowitzki

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Jul 6, 2011.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,644 Messages
    2,656 Likes Received
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...8217-s-8216-greatest-8217-gift?urn=nba-wp6056

Former heavyweight champion and legendary sports icon Muhammad Ali didn't waste any time in letting the most recent NBA Finals MVP know exactly how he feels. According to Dirk Nowitzki(notes) -- last month's main man as the Dallas Mavericks won it all -- Ali sent him a glove after Dallas' Finals win with an inscription that read "You are the greatest."
  2. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Anger is a Gift

3,271 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    That is so cool. I think both guys are great for sports.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,843 Messages
    1,483 Likes Received
    Greatest boxer of all Time!

[youtube]e-PqasYEswc&feature[/youtube]

Float like a butterfly, Sting like a bee! There will never be another Muhammad Ali

[youtube]HXzQqqn-rVc[/youtube]
  4. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What a great gesture by Ali.
  5. danielofthesaints

danielofthesaints Well-Known Member

1,038 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    I consider Ali to be the greatest of all time throughout his career, but Tyson (IMO) was an absolute beast in his prime. What I would do to see a Tyson-Ail fight.

[youtube]7FgS3kCv79I[/youtube]
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,655 Messages
    1,527 Likes Received
    That's incredible!
  7. Doomsday101

74,843 Messages
    1,483 Likes Received
    Ali would beat him like Buster Douglas did, stick and move, stick and move. I think what made Ali special was not just his agility and speed (guy was a heavy weight and fought like a middle weight) it was the ability to change strategy mid fight. Going up against a big hitter like Foreman, Ali knew going toe to toe would be a mistake instead he moved and covered until Foreman was exhausted. As big of a hitter as Tyson was I would put Foreman up against him any day.
  8. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Ali is clearly the greatest boxer to ever live, but I don't know if Ali beats Tyson in his prime. Tyson was like no other fighter than Ali ever saw. Tyson wasn't a boxer, he was a pitbull. The problem is that if Tyson hit you, it was like getting hit by a train. If he backed you into a corner, forget it. It didn't matter if you blocked or not, He could hit your forearm, and your forearm would hit you in the head.

For Ali to beat Tyson in his prime, he would literally had to run from him and wait until Tyson tired out. Running from Tyson for 8-10 rounds would have been very difficult and I don't think Ali knocks Tyson out in less than 6-8 around.

Tyson was no boxer, but he was a whole different type of fighter. Sure there were fighters who tried to fight like him, but they never had the sheer power he possessed.
  9. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

4,570 Messages
    224 Likes Received

Seconded!
  10. CowboyDan

3,271 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    ehhhh, I don't know about this. Have you ever seen Frazier and Foreman in their primes? Ali beat them both when he was 32 years old. So if you're talking about a 20 year old Tyson vs a 32 year old Ali, you might still be reaching. I think a 22 year old Ali vs a 20 year old Tyson would be a lesson in strategic boxing. I still love watching Tyson fight in his prime, but I think he'd be peppered similar to what Lennox did to him at the end of his career.
  11. Doomsday101

74,843 Messages
    1,483 Likes Received
    Foreman in his prime would have killed Tyson, no one stood toe to toe with Big George heck George was giving guys like Holyfield a hard time in his late 40's. Ali I have no doubt that he would beat Tyson who constantly lunged at his opponet, Ali footwork and ability to move not to mention his power would over match Tyson. Tyson was a fighter Ali was a boxer
  12. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Both of them hard hitters, but neither were in the caliber of Tyson for raw power and athleticism. (ability to keep throwing punches like that)

Tyson was just plain mean in the ring. It wasn't a sport with him, it was anger.
  13. CowboyDan

3,271 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    See Doomsday's post above. He's spot on.
    Again, I love Tyson in his prime, but Ali would ruin him in 5.
  14. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Shurg, you can say it, but that doesn't mean it would happen. Neither of us know what would actually happen.

Ali actually talked about Tyson once and discussed the the differences between Frazier and Foreman. He said said he didn't know if he could have handled Tyson back then. He said Tyson hits so hard, and forces himself into your face where you cannot get away from him. Foreman and Frazier where boxers. Tyson was not. He was a pitbull in the ring. He came right after you, pushed you into a corner, then pummeled you until you went down.
  15. Doomsday101

74,843 Messages
    1,483 Likes Received
    Tyson leaves his feet and is often off balance when you do that all a guy has to do is side step and hammer Tyson just like Buster Douglas did to Tyson. Foreman would have killed him, with George's reach and power. You think Tyson hit hard George threw a jab that stun guys

[youtube]uzy6tErgQZI[/youtube]
  16. CowboyDan

3,271 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Do you think Holyfield is clearly better than Ali?
  17. Doomsday101

74,843 Messages
    1,483 Likes Received
    what is funny is George in his late 40's went 12 rds with Holyfield and stood up between rds. When an old man can go the distance with the champ I seriously doubt Ali would have much trouble

[youtube]C8tuDEiJP0E[/youtube]
  18. CowboyDan

3,271 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Exactly.
    Tyson = 0-2 against Holyfield
  19. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    No. Holyfield was an extremely skilled boxer. Ali too was an extremely skilled boxer. (there aren't as many of them as people would think) Ali had more power, more active, (moving) and better boxing sight than Holyfield. Ali could find an opening and land a devastating punch or combo when it appeared there were none.

George's skills as a boxer at 40 were several fold what they were in 1974. He was just a flat out better boxer and it's not even debatable. Foreman back in the seventies was big strong and basically tried to overpower everyone. Ali out boxed him. Watch some of the video of the fights on Youtube. Foreman would back him into the ropes and Ali would dodge and dodge sometimes taking hits, but then you would see Ali out of the blue just land two or three devastating blows straight to the head. Between those blows tiring out is what did Foreman in.

If Foreman had the skills in the 70s that he had during his comeback, he could have beaten Ali. Physically, Ali couldn't match Foreman. He had to out box him.
  20. Doomsday101

74,843 Messages
    1,483 Likes Received
    George did not have the same power at 40 yet still took on the Camp in Holyfield who Tyson could not beat. In my view Tyson was not that great he was often off balance fighting in a weak field of heavy weights. Buster Douglas of all people beat him, it was a joke. Heavy Weight division to this day is a joke.