1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Muhammad Wilkerson

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CATCH17, May 2, 2011.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,054 Messages
    2,297 Likes Received
    I heard somewhere that our Dline coach was pounding on the table for us to move up and get this guy.

I think it was last Fridays talking Cowboys where I heard this.
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,344 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    I heard they looked at moving up for a dline guy, but just couldn't make it happen.
  3. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,054 Messages
    2,297 Likes Received
    I can't believe the Jets got him.
  4. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    yeah, it sucks, but if the plan is to resign Spears, then we'll be okay.

RDE- Stephen Bowen, free agent
    NT- Jay Ratliff, Josh Brent-Price
    LDE- Marcus Spears, Sean Lissemore

This will get us through the season. If Bowen doesn't pan out, we can target a 3-4 DE in next years draft
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    I don't think Igor is going anywhere.

Much like the much maligned Spencer, I don't think the team is as upset with Igor's performance as the fans are.

I'm still a little surprised we didn't take a single defensive front player, even late. I thought for sure we'd target someone.
  6. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

12,008 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    I think Spears getting a 2nd round tender compared to Hatchers 1st rounder tells you how much they value him
  7. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Well-Known Member

2,101 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    Think it probably says more about how much they think other teams in the league will value him, relative to Hatcher.
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    I don't think Hatcher got a 1st round tender, where'd you hear that? I don't even think we tendered Spears at all.
  9. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

12,008 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    Im talking about last year

-------
    The Cowboys will pay backup defensive linemen Stephen Bowen and Jason Hatcher more money than they pay Spears. Bowen and Hatcher each received second-round tenders worth $1.759 million.

When asked about it, Spears said, "Tough man! That's the way it is, man, it's business."

You have to wonder if the Cowboys were sending a message to Spears in terms of what they offered him.

Spears had just completed his rookie contract and was hoping for some sort of new deal, which could still happen, however, the former first round draft pick, might have to wait a while.

Spears finished 12th overall with 50 tackles, according to the coaches film, and he had a career-high 2 1/2 sacks. Spears also had 16 quarterback pressures, tying a career-high from 2008.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4666907/marcus-spears-responds-to-the-tender
  10. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I thought it was Cameron Heyward they tried to move up for.
  11. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Agree on all points.
  12. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not too upset we missed out on a guy like Wilkerson. I was never too impressed with him as he reminded ms as a spot on Jason Hatcher clone. Wes Bunting was saying prior to the draft that he thought he was overrated and and didnt get all the hub-bub either.
  13. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,898 Messages
    2,367 Likes Received
    i was not at all concerned that we did not go 3-4 DE in this draft
    from my prespective, in the 3-4, the pressure needs to come up the middle from the NT 'collapsing the pocket' and the ILB and OLB stunting and bringing the real heat
  14. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    From what Baker was saying on the Fan, we had Wilkerson first, then Heyward. They were actually interviewing him when those guys were picked.